Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Downfall" - Tonight, RTE2, 9.30

• 30-04-2006 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

As the Russians advance through Berlin in the spring of 1945, Adolf Hitler and his remaining military and secretarial staff shelter in his large bunker complex in the centre of the city. His mood swings between completely unjustified optimism that his forces will still break through, and rage against the incompetence and betrayal of his military commanders. Reality does finally start to break through and the Fuhrer and the others in the bunker start to make their final personal preparations for the inevitable.(In German with English subtitles).
    Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel
    Starring: Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara, Corinna Harfouch, Ulrich Matthes, Juliane Köhler, Heino Ferch
    (Subtitles, 2004, 15, 3 Star)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=75496
    Copyright GipsyMedia Ltd.

Been hearing good things about this, and came very close to buying it on DVD a couple of times. Hopefully its as good as I have heard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye I rented it a while back,very good movie indeed. The guy who plays Hitler is very very good,and the way he descended into madness,deploying regiments that didn't exist was crazy.

Well worth a watch,if you don't mind reading subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Saw it on DVD and later in the cinema. One of the best films I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Yup - excellent movie - well worth a view.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Recording it now. Will watch it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great movie - great that its subtitled - gives a real "German" fell to the movie. I'd watch this again tbh.

Mind you the bit where the kids die was a bit much for me - kinda upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unreg1987

tvnutz wrote:
    Ye I rented it a while back,very good movie indeed. The guy who plays Hitler is very very good,and the way he descended into madness,deploying regiments that didn't exist was crazy.

Well worth a watch,if you don't mind reading subtitles.

Armin Mueller-Stahl is his name :) Yeah a very good movie, esp. since they managed to keep it unbiased & objective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Hitler is actually played by Bruno Ganz... Armin Mueller-Stahl played Hitler in Conversation with the Beast, which is about a guy who claims to be the real 103 year old Hitler.

This film is definitely one of the best I've ever seen. Brave and brilliant, because it portrays Hitler as a human being. And the scene with the kids... Powerful. It's so gentle, yet it's damn near as brutal as the kerb-stomp in American History X.
    Well worth the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Just finished a short time ago, and I have to agree. Brilliant film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

Some brillaint german actors in that film...

the bit where the kids are crunching the cyanide tubes is quite shivery alright...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hard to watch in parts (e.g. the kids), perhaps a little too long but intense and brilliant with very good acting. You can see the man decline (probably camera angles) but it looks like he gets smaller towards the end.

I'll have to get the DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i watched it in my college theater which was absolutely freezing and i was tired and hungry but got totally absorbed by the film...

Advertisement