Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Money to Australia

Options
  • 30-04-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

Will be immigrating to Australia by the end of the year? Anyone know who would be the best broker to transfer a large sum of money - heard good things about HIFX. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just phone around the banks on the day and see who offers the best rate. Just be sure to tell them how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Thanks Victor for that. Though from what I hear HIFX seem to offer best rate as far as transferring large amounts over. Anyone have first experience of doing this??? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VF10

why australia? crap place, very over rated, just came back a while ago and I sorry to say A real backwater destination, dust, flys, spiders, snakes, drunk Oirish backpackers.

Oooooooooooh, the begrudgery, i can smell it from here:rolleyes: :p

actually it was a great place... the only downside is the potential inlaws being on the same side of the equator :) howya sis!!!!

• Advertisement

:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

ashie wrote:
    Hi,

Will be immigrating to Australia by the end of the year? Anyone know who would be the best broker to transfer a large sum of money - heard good things about HIFX. Any ideas?

Emmigrated to OZ back in 2001.(back a year) Great experience. Stay for at least 24 months to get the passport as then you can go back and forth as you please. I just set up an account over there and instructed my bank here to transfer the cash over. At the moment the exchange rate is good.

Thanks for that Phoenix. When you say the rates are good, is it the best in a long time or middle of the road. Its just that I really want to transfer when they are great!!!!!!!! Makes all the difference when you are transferring a large sum. What would be considered a good rate? I have not done any research at all yet as we will not be moving for a while yet? Where were you based?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

This site is good. http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/EUR/hist2006.html

Handy graph. To mimimise your risk you can transfer in lots rather than in one go. Better to be wise than greedy. Even better. Wait till you get to oz and open a bank account etc.

Was in Sydney. Stayed around Coogee and Paddington. Really nice country. Planning to go back in a couple of years.

PM me if you want any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Credit card? - load it up and take it out as needed - not strictly above board but I transferred the best part of 6/7 grand that way. Plus they pay you for having money in the CC A/C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Possibly the best way to do it is through www.xetrade.com

Theres a bit involved in getting setup, but you generally get very good rates. I use it to transfer funds to the US.

TBH im not sure if they cover OZ, but I would be pretty surprised if they didnt!

Hi everyone, Thanks for the input. I will check out all those links. We are selling our house and the whole kit and kaboodle so we have made a BIG profit on our house. Anyone know anything about Davys Stockbrokers in town??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Anyone know anything about Davys Stockbrokers in town??

from what perspective? Are you considerinf entering the stock market?

God, absolutly not - would not have a clue:) . Just heard that someone used Davy to transfer their savings to Oz, at the time was not interested enough to ask questions but Boy, I should have listened!!

Get a FX trading account with Delta Index of the like. If the rate goes to a high rate prior to you getting fluidity with your funds, then bet against the currency... e.g. if the FX has been avg 0.57-0.60 and it hits 0.62, then bet on it going down, if it goes up you win on your funds, if it goes down you win on your bet

Advertisement