Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snare Supplies

• 30-04-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I realise this is the shooting forum, however I don't know where else to ask this question and I know there are a few hunter/fox guys on here. Please move it mods if you know of anywhere better :) . I'm looking for somewhere I can buy the raw materials to make my own snares, I'd imagine it'd be cheaper than buying readymade ones and I can set my own lengths etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

possibly a chandlry(boat stuff) shop get 3mm steel rope,wire, and a few loops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

John..
    I got fenn traps of these guys, good fast service.. Not sure on delivery to Ireland but should not be much as the good would be very light

http://www.trapandsnare.co.uk/products.asp?cat=111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:eek: I paid 4.50 for ready made snares in Galway, I see on the site Terrier posted they're 1.50 - 1.60 GBP

Maglite, that's a good idea as the cable would be the heaviest bit, ordering the swivels (or even that swivel making tool), locks etc. by post would be fine as they're light in weight.

Cheers guys :D:D those suggestions have been a real help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You were right about the fast service Terrier :D Emailed the guy as the online form wouldnt do Ireland and he called me within a couple of hours! Now that I like:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Could anyone advise please. A fox has had 6 out of my 8 ducks Monday night, went through the wire of their house and as they ran about in a panic slaughtered them all over the place. Only actually took one away. I was picking up dead and dying ducks at 3am so sad. Bastard came back yesterday & took a bantam and our gorgoeus cockerel in broad daylight despite dogs being about and us trying to keep a lookout. Fences being upgraded (quoted 700 Euro for 40 metre post & rail - can't afford so will have 2 make do) but cannot sit here on watch all day every day. Have emailed Trap & Snare re snares as per previous correspondence.

Any advice regarding shooting/baiting would be appreciated. I understand have to apply to Guards for licence, how long does it take. Can u legally borrow a gun for a few weeks to do the job, air rifle would probably do as within 20 yards of house. Can u bait with poison for foxes ? I love nature in general but this is now war, if I get one in the snare I'll f*****g cave its head in with a iron bar if no gun licence through in time.

Thanks, Julie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Air rifle will not do for foxes, sorry for your loss.
    Poison could be dodgy seeing as you have dogs.
    know any shooters? or maybe call the local gunclub and enquire if any shooters will help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Could anyone advise please. A fox has had 6 out of my 8 ducks Monday night, went through the wire of their house and as they ran about in a panic slaughtered them all over the place. Only actually took one away. I was picking up dead and dying ducks at 3am so sad. Bastard came back yesterday & took a bantam and our gorgoeus cockerel in broad daylight despite dogs being about and us trying to keep a lookout. Fences being upgraded (quoted 700 Euro for 40 metre post & rail - can't afford so will have 2 make do) but cannot sit here on watch all day every day. Have emailed Trap & Snare re snares as per previous correspondence.

Any advice regarding shooting/baiting would be appreciated. I understand have to apply to Guards for licence, how long does it take. Can u legally borrow a gun for a few weeks to do the job, air rifle would probably do as within 20 yards of house. Can u bait with poison for foxes ? I love nature in general but this is now war, if I get one in the snare I'll f*****g cave its head in with a iron bar if no gun licence through in time.

Thanks, Julie

If i lived near you, i would have it gone in seconds.
    If you can get a local licenced shooter, with a .22 Rimfire rifle, who is a well known good shot, then that would be your best option.
    Waiting for a rifle cert to come threw, can take for ever. Your fox would be having a ball.
    If its only 20 yards away from your house and your in the country, with a good back stop, a .22lr rifle, would do the job with a accurate shot to the brain.
    Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Thanks for the info u guys. I'll ask a few people & find out if anyone local has a licence. Gun club at Ballydesmond I think they might help.

Am going to keep all the birds in the hens wooden shed for now there are a lot less of them now sadly so won't be too cramped, they'll just have to put up with it for a week or so, better than being fox food.

Thanks again, Julie
    www.enjoy-our-hospitality.com

Advertisement