Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Disabled driver' requirments

Options
  • 30-04-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone actually know what requirments are needed to be eligable for 'Disabled driver' status? - ie. sticker on yer window allowing you to park in disabled spots?

I ask because 2 years ago I did big damage to my lower spine, broke L5. It's only now that its starting to catch up on me, although I look like ive recovered quite well. I cannot walk long distances, I cannot lift heavy weights, no sudden movements etc* If parked in town, I generally find myself in crippling pain by the time it comes to walking back to the car, even when I stop for breaks

Does anyone know where id be able to get info from?

* Don't ask... sick of telling the story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JohnCleary wrote:
    Does anyone actually know what requirments are needed to be eligable for 'Disabled driver' status?

I ask because 2 years ago I did big damage to my lower spine, broke L5. It's only now that its starting to catch up on me, although I look like ive recovered quite well. I cannot walk long distances, I cannot lift heavy weights, no sudden movements etc* If parked in town, I generally find myself in crippling pain by the time it comes to walking back to the car, even when I stop for breaks

Does anyone know where id be able to get info from?

* Don't ask... sick of telling the story

You would definitely be eligible. I know people who have a pronounced limp and they qualify for a badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Litcagral wrote:
    You would definitely be eligible. I know people who have a pronounced limp and they qualify for a badge.

Any idea where id get more info from? I know my GP/physio could point me in the right direction, but I don't want them to laugh at me if I ask (Not that they would), but I just don't know what the severity requirments would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

clicky link

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JohnCleary wrote:
    Any idea where id get more info from? I know my GP/physio could point me in the right direction, but I don't want them to laugh at me if I ask (Not that they would), but I just don't know what the severity requirments would be

This may help:

Disabled Person's Parking Cards (also known as European Parking Cards) are available to people living in Ireland with certain disabilities and those who are registered blind, whether they are drivers or passengers. The parking card can be used by a disabled person in any vehicle in which he or she is travelling. This means that a disabled person who is being driven at different times by different people can bring the parking card with himself or herself and display it in the appropriate vehicle. The parking card is valid for 2 years from date of issue. Generally, the card is not issued to anyone under 5 years of age.

The parking card scheme for disabled drivers and passengers applies to public car parking areas only. However, the scheme also enables private car parks, supermarkets, etc., to more effectively monitor parking in areas that they have designated for people with disabilities. You can read more about parking facilitites for people with disabilities in Ireland here.

Disabled (also known as 'European') Parking Cards can be used by disabled people within the 25 member states of the EU and are also recognised in the US and Canada. This means that when you travel abroad, you can bring your European Parking Card with you. However, it is important to remember that you must observe the motoring laws and restrictions on parking in other countries.

The parking card scheme is administered by the Disabled Drivers Association and the Irish Wheelchair Association. Apply in writing for the card to either organisation.

Rules
    You will automatically qualify for a parking card if you hold a Primary Medical Certificate (exempting you from payment of VAT, motor tax and Vehicle Registration Tax), however, you must still formally apply for the card.

Primary Medical Certificates
    Health Service Executive (HSE) Areas process applications for a Primary Medical Certificate.

You must complete the application form and return it to the Senior Medical Officer of the HSE Area. The Senior Medical Officer then appoints a HSE Area doctor to visit your home and carry out an assessment of the level of your disability. If you satisfy the requirements, you are then granted a Primary Medical Certificate by the Health Service Executive (HSE) Area. The Primary Medical Certificate is then forwarded together with the application form for a refund of VRT to the Revenue Commissioners. In some parts of the country, the application process and assessment procedure takes approximately 4-5 weeks but this can vary.

Rates
    The parking card costs 25 euro. The fee is the same irrespective of whether it is a new application, or a renewal.

Lost/misplaced cards cost 50 euro to replace.

How to apply
    Apply to your local Health Service Executive (HSE) Area for an application form for a Primary Medical Certificate. If you wish to apply for a parking card, you should apply in writing to either the Disabled Drivers Association or the Irish Wheelchair Association, enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope. Your application must be completed and certified by your doctor and must be countersigned by a Garda.

Applications to have lost/misplaced cards replaced should be made in writing directly to either the Disabled Drivers Association or the Irish Wheeelchair Association (whichever organisation issued the card).

Where to apply
    Parking Card Section
    The Disabled Drivers Association
    Ballindine
    Co. Mayo
    Tel: (094) 93 64054/64266
    Fax: (094) 93 64336
    E-mail: ability@iol.ie

National Mobility Centre
    Irish Wheelchair Association
    Ballinagappa Road
    Clane
    Co. Kildare
    Tel: (045) 893094/893095
    E-mail: maats@iwa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just because you get a card doesn't mean you'll get a spot. One thing I see too much thats not enforced is illegal parking in these spaces. Especially in the big shopping centre car parks.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the help guys, im going to research it a bit more.

It's embarassing to be asking these kind of questions at 20 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No its not, injury can occure at any time for any reason. You don't even have to be trying!

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lex Luthor wrote:
    One thing I see too much thats not enforced is illegal parking in these spaces. Especially in the big shopping centre car parks.:mad:
    True but seemingly some are legit - they may be carrying a disabled passenger. However, Dublin City Council was considering changing the system - see http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2005/0622/3894136067MOT22DISABLED.html

Advertisement