Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wikipedia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Someone in the SU has way too much time on their hands...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

as does tintinr ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

''The Union has also taken significant stances on issues of human rights that have hit the headlines in Ireland and around the world, particularly in becoming the first institution in the world to implement a boycott of Coca-Cola products on the basis of alleged human and trade union rights infringements in Colombia.''

Since it's on the second paragraph we can see yet again whats more important to the SU..... non-student issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

oops someone edited it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To meet Wikipedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup.

To meet UCD students' standards, UCDSU may require a cleanup. ;)

• Advertisement

Most of it is actually from the UCD page down near the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Methinks SingingStranger may have been involved here!!!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Scraggs wrote:
    as does tintinr ;)
    hey your on here and ten past twelve 2

Yeah, I had seen that one, but I had also found somewhere else on wikipedia that someone said it was pointless and should be deleted!

[edit] thats how it got there
    [edit edit] moaning person
    [edit edit edit]The april fools joke is also mentioned somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

tintinr35 wrote:
    ha look what i found, i mean really....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCDSU

*cracks knuckes*

Let's get editing Wikipedians.

Syth wrote:
    *cracks knuckes*

Let's get editing Wikipedians.
    Can you report it for being biased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm sure. Wiki's meant to be written from a neutral point of view

Blowfish wrote:
    dunno but can w report it for being utter cock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

If you think it's biased then fix it yourself - click edit. That's how Wikipedia works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

''The Union has also taken significant stances on issues of human rights that have hit the headlines in Ireland and around the world, particularly in becoming the first institution in the world to implement a boycott of Coca-Cola products on the basis of alleged human and trade union rights infringements in Colombia.''

Since it's on the second paragraph we can see yet again whats more important to the SU..... non-student issues!

Considering that the wikipedia software is open publishing, that could have been written by anyone not necessarily someone down the SU corridoor. Regardless of whether one agree with the coke boycott are not it is the stance that the SU have taken. People who read that page are entitled to know about it aswell. If one doesn`t agree with the boycott challenge it using the structures that are available. removing it from wikipedia is quite dogmatic and nothing short of censorship. (by the way im not accussing you of removing it-hope you dont take any offence.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think its more the fact that such a small issue (not even endorsed by half the membership) made the second paragraph. The trap is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Have to laugh at this paragraph in the boards wilkpedia entry:

'There are regular Boards Beers, where regulars on boards.ie go to a pub and usually drink too much. '
    I think orangeroooster would have a few unbiased things to say about that!!:D

I would never use wikipedia to look up something,it is a poor man/womens britannica. I have a fair idea who probably did write that ucdsu wikipedia entry though(humbert knows who im talking about:) )

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=111504A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yea she's a snob:rolleyes::rolleyes: I love wikipedia, practical articles not useless abstract facts though I usually use it for physics stuff and it's easier to tell if its wrong, panda uses it for her medical exams, she says it going to save her when she fulfills her dream and becomes a gp so she can just go to wikipedia and it can diagnose her patients:eek:

Blowfish wrote:
    That's not how wikipedia works, as it is a wiki. Wikipedia is written by anyone and everyone. There is no central editorial control. The Wikipedia article on wikipedia and the Wikipedia article on wiki should help.

On wikipedia I'm known as Ebelular. I have edited the UCDSU article recently. I think the section on the coke ban is biased. Remember that Wikipedia has an offical Neutral Point of view policy. In a nutshell "All Wikipedia articles must be written from a neutral point of view, representing views fairly and without bias.".

• Advertisement

I like it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

much better second parahraph

Someone modified it again:( Might have a go at this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think its more the fact that such a small issue (not even endorsed by half the membership) made the second paragraph. The trap is more important.

The issue is it was endorsed by the majority of those who bothered to vote!!

Don't vote... don't get the right to bitch!!

As firespinner mentioned before, far too low a turnout in required to make such a change, if nobody cares nothing should change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

humbert wrote:
    As firespinner mentioned before, far too low a turnout in required to make such a change, if nobody cares nothing should change.

I agree... but that is the way the cookie is structured before the crumble starts... I have seen governments elected on a minority of a minority vote... should they be invalidated?

Sorry for draggin' this off thread!! It is May Day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

boneless wrote:
    The issue is it was endorsed by the majority of those who bothered to vote!!

Don't vote... don't get the right to bitch!!
    Concur. 2 referenda, same result. Pretty conclusive - if you didn't vote either time, and then complain bout small turnout, well... More fool you, eh?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

panda100 wrote:
    I would never use wikipedia to look up something,it is a poor man/womens britannica. I have a fair idea who probably did write that ucdsu wikipedia entry though(humbert knows who im talking about:) )

I disagree. I love it. I wouldn't have passed 1st year without it. It's a crammer's dream and I'll be relying on it this year to help me pass 2nd year. :cool:

panda100 wrote:
    I would never use wikipedia to look up something,it is a poor man/womens britannica.
    Wikipedia can only work in practice. In theory wikipedia can't work.

• Advertisement

That doesn't make sense to me, it can work and fail in practice and in theory.

Advertisement