Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M5 or M6?

Options
  • 01-05-2006 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of changing my 01 M5 for a new M5 or M6. I've driven both and would be happy driving either one but I can't seem to like the styling of the new 5 series but would prefer a saloon car as its a bit more discreet. Any opinions? Or even an Audi RS6 estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

M5 M5 M5.

Save yourself the extra 20k or so, and you can have two extra doors :). And if you don't like the styling, why not get a Hartge bodykit? And some nicer wheels, even M6 ones, or Alpinas.

Any thoughts on colour combos? Go for the Interlagos Blue, rarer than Silverstone, and a real head turner. It can look stunning in Alpineweiss also.

Make sure to check out www.m5board.com, for loads of info from owners and for owners, (head to the E60 M5/M6 forum).

It's a tricky choice, but I wouldn't mind being in your position of having to choose. Keep us updated!

qz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It can only be black, to match with the rest of the fleet and its my favourite colour. What about the Audi RS6 estate? I haven't driven one yet but I'm going over to the U.K. in a couple of weeks to have a look around.:)

I'm 110% biased towards BMW, M Powered ones in particular, so I'd say no to the RS6!

If you want people to know that you're driving a monster, get the M5. If you'd like to keep it under wraps, go for the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

definately M5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Same engine in both cars. The M5 also has 2 more doors and is a proper saloon. You can turn the M5 enhancements off during the week and drive it like a normal car and then at the weekend you can have your sports car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're thinking M6, there are so many better cars for €167,000. An M5 at under €140,000 seems like a (relative) bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you're thinking M6, there are so many better cars for €167,000. An M5 at under €140,000 seems like a (relative) bargain

yes but an RS6 will cost half that again since you cannot buy them new anymore (I think) Link. Anyway, if JC is lookin for a bargain then he's lookin at 3 totally wrong cars...... go for the Aygo:D :D:D

Honestly tho, my vote has to go for the Audi... I just love them. Looks, practicallity, refinement, and best of all, performance !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

How about a new Audi RS4 - unless you need the extra weight and bulk of the 5 series then a nice 420hp V8 saloon sounds like a nice option. Looks nice too. Probably much cheaper than the M5 and looks much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Wait for the new RS6 before you make a decision. Personally I'd keep the E39 over getting an E60. It's a nicer looking car but I suppose the driving experience isn't the same with the 5 litre V10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'd go with the Audi, it has it all but doesn’t particularly want to broadcast that it’s the dogs. If i had the money its the audi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Audi RS4 - 420bhp 4.2 litre V8 - €105k, 0 - 100kph 4.8 seconds, Max Speed 250kph.

BMW M5 - 507bhp 5.0 litre V10 - €137k, 0 - 100kph 4.7 seconds, Max Speed 250kph.

BMW M6 - 507bhp 5.0 litre V10 - €165k, 0 - 100kph 4.6 seconds, Max Speed 250kph.

Rather than buying the M6 I'd go for the Audi as a weekday car and this for the weekends with the change left over :D :
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=303882&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Ferrari%20348%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=53960763&CFTOKEN=52357146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I wouldn't buy a new M5 as they're much too fragile. This guy has been through 3 new gearboxes so far, and most the [albeit enthusiastically driven] press released cars have had similar problems with electrics/rear diff/smg etc. The E39 is virtually bulletproof in that regard, even high-milers with rattly vanos don't fail.

There's a 6-speed manual being launched this autumn and that's the one to go for, in black/black with the G-sensing multi-function seats and logic 7, no mind the rest of those extras (€11,000 for full leather loike!) they're not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Squirrel wrote:
    Wait for the new RS6 before you make a decision. Personally I'd keep the E39 over getting an E60. It's a nicer looking car but I suppose the driving experience isn't the same with the 5 litre V10

The new RS6 (saloon and estate) will be out next year. It will have in excess of 600bhp.

In the meantime, the new S6 will be in Ireland from July onwards. 420bhp and also available for under 100k.

Pic here.

RedorDead wrote:
    The new RS6 (saloon and estate) will be out next year. It will have in excess of 600bhp.

In the meantime, the new S6 will be in Ireland from July onwards. 420bhp and also available for under 100k.

Pic here.

The S6 has the 5.2 V10 based on the Gallardo's no? Just de-tuned? 600hp in a practical body. *drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I'd love to have your predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

How about a chipped, debadged 535d Touring?

I bought a new X5 in February for the dogs and for hacking during the week,(I know you don't like them ds but they really are the best of the bunch, a great engine and automatic and loads of spec.) What I really want is a new E39 M5, the nearest I got to one is a 04 in Richmond Motor Company, but it didn't have as much spec. as my own one. I'm going to the U.K. in a couple weeks time to have a look around. I might even go for a 2 or 3 year old Aston DB 9 if the price is right and I like what I see.:)

junkyard wrote:
    I might even go for a 2 or 3 year old Aston DB 9 if the price is right and I like what I see.:)

:eek: I will love you forever if you do.

qz wrote:
    :eek: I will love you forever if you do.

I'll set up a fan club if you like qz and I'll let you join for a nominal fee and if I get enough members I'll buy a new one every year for my fans.:D

junkyard wrote:
    I'll set up a fan club if you like qz and I'll let you join for a nominal fee and if I get enough members I'll buy a new one every year for my fans.:D

Can I get a discount? Have you not got a 911 on order or am I mistaking you with someone else, junkyard?

• Advertisement

I did have Squirrel, but I made the big mistake of trying to deal with Porsche in Dublin and it seems to me that they're not interested in supplying cars outside Dublin and pushing you back in the waiting list in favour of their buddies. So after many months of waiting I just went off the whole idea of buying a Porsche considering I would probably have to deal with them for servicing.

junkyard wrote:
    I did have Squirrel, but I made the big mistake of trying to deal with Porsche in Dublin and it seems to me that they're not interested in supplying cars outside Dublin and pushing you back in the waiting list in favour of their buddies. So after many months of waiting I just went off the whole idea of buying a Porsche considering I would probably have to deal with them for servicing.

Sorry to hear that mate. You'd think they'd treat you like royalty spending so much on a car. Have you thought of a 1999 550 Maranello here?

Squirrel wrote:
    Sorry to hear that mate. You'd think they'd treat you like royalty spending so much on a car. Have you thought of a 1999 550 Maranello here?

Pfft, it'll only hit 199mph ;)

qz wrote:
    Pfft, it'll only hit 199mph ;)

In that case I think that car should be crushed. I absolutely love that car, I have a 1:18 scale one exactly like it, same colour interior and all.

[joke]I think it is time that the Skoda Octavia gets mentioned on this thread. The vRS has 5 doors, a 2 litre Turbo FSI engine[/joke]

[joke]I think it is time that the Skoda Octavia gets mentioned on this thread. The vRS has 5 doors, a 2 litre Turbo FSI engine[/joke][/QUOTE]

Stop lowering the tone of the thread Squirrel or before you know it someone will recommend an Alfa.;) :D

junkyard wrote:
    Stop lowering the tone of the thread Squirrel or before you know it someone will recommend an Alfa.;) :D

Then there'll be a huge debate about Alfa's so I vote that doesn't happen. When you get something be sure to keep us posted, junkyard.

junkyard wrote:
    I bought a new X5 in February for the dogs and for hacking during the week,(I know you don't like them ds but they really are the best of the bunch, a great engine and automatic and loads of spec.)

I was thinking more of the "discreet" bit than the dogs. There's nothing more discreet than a diesel estate, and by all accounts the 535d is not much slower than an M5 in the real world.

8'37" lap of the nurburgring in a chipped 535d, compared to an M5

PS: Who cares what I think about the X5 - you like it, doncha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You might want to visit this dealer I heard about over the weekend

koenigg7vi.th.jpgkoenigg20zs.th.jpg

It's in Penn, near High Wycombe, a village that has "nowhere to buy bread and milk"
    -nice collection, and you might find something else to tempt you ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

What about a Quattroporte?

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote:
    What about a Quattroporte?
    Nah... Junkyard doesn't do stylish italian cars ... :D

Advertisement