Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet on Laptops

• 01-05-2006 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Im a completely newbie to internet in laptops, recently ordered a laptop with a wireless lan on it. How does internet work on laptops, if i have an internet connection at home, say with Esay Anytime, can i use this same connection and internet provider if i connect it to the phone line in my house ?

Also is wireless only broadband? Lots laughing at me right now im sure haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Untill somebody who can explain things properly comes along I'll give you a hand.
    You can use your laptop with your current internet connection with (Esat?), yes. All you need do is plug your phone line into the phone jack on your laptop. You might want to get somebody to actually set the connection up for you if you can't, or get one of the crowd at Esat to guide you through it.

Regards the wireless bit - wireless internet is only really worth using on broadband. you could set it up with the standard telephone line, but it wouldn't be worth your while.

To keep things simple - your laptop with wireless lan will need another computer around with the internet to work, so mightn't be any use to you at home. It'l work in airports and some cafés though - and if you life in a city or housing estate you might have a neighbour with a wireless network set up, which would mean you could hop onto his internet connection for free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Magown3

I'm not sure if Esat Anytime is Dial-up or broadband but here goes.

If it's a dial-up and you already have a computer connecting to the internet then all you have to do is plug the phone cable into the laptop and copy the dialup settings from your computer to a new connection on your laptop.
    Start > Connect To > Show All Connections, then click "Create New Connection"

If it's a broadband connection then the phone line will still go into your broadband router and then either a USB connection or network cable is used to connect your laptop to your router.

Wireless cards aren't necessarily for internet/broadband connections. They can be used to setup a wireless lan in your home. Although you'll need a wireless router for this. Actually, you'll need a wireless router to do anything wirelessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks guys, everything wanted to know you answered it.

Advertisement