Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line failure rate is not bad, it's shocking!

Options
  • 01-05-2006 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

My exchange went live about a month ago. Back then, I entered my number in the netsource phone-line checker and it came back unsuitable. I then went on to see how far out DSL was going. So, the first number I checked was the chemist in the village ( he is between me and the exchange) and he passed. I then went on to check numbers closer to me. I couldn't get any numbers that would pass. So, I left it at that and figured the chemist was the farthest DSL would go. Last night, I got talking to a guy closer to the exchange than the chemist and he mentioned his number came up unsuitable. So, I went home and started entering number closer then the chemist to the exchange. Apart from the school, they all came back unsuitable. Now I knew the line failure rate was bad, but this is shocking. One thing I should mention is, the guy who owns the chemist was on an ISDN line like me so would of had a good line.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Carraroe exchange in Galway had a 100% failure rate beyond 1.5km or so (dunno as % of total lines) I was told. Your area is not unique and there will be other generally rural areas where 100% of non ISDN lines will be split and will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd love to see some stats on line failure rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd love to see some stats on line failure rate.

Nationally it was 30% fail when only urban exchanges (towns over 1500 ) had been done.

Since then some rural exchanges have been done but the line test has been relaxed a bit too.

I would say the failure rate is down to 20% now if eircom will go as low as their quoted minimum 256k speeds . They will disclose to the SEC in August, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eircom told the Oireachtas subcommittee that with the Amber program, pass rates would reach 88%.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Kinnegad looks like its 100% fail after 1.5Km as well

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OP, one thing to remember is that the online test have usage limits, and when those limits have been reached, the results aren't acurate (in that valid numbers are returned as failed).. so just keep that in mind.

TempestSabre, so would we all love to see the stats. ComReg know it but it's deemed commercially sensitive information, by eircom. I never understood how it could be but then ComReg are hardly going to dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

jwt wrote:
    Kinnegad looks like its 100% fail after 1.5Km as well
    John
    50% of the telephone numbers that were submitted to the Broadband4Kinnegad campaign failed the line test when I tested them.

Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Aren't you only allowed to check so many numbers on the eircom site before they refuse to tell any more? Mind you, I've never seen it happen on the Netsource checker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

cgarvey wrote:
    OP, one thing to remember is that the online test have usage limits, and when those limits have been reached, the results aren't acurate (in that valid numbers are returned as failed).. so just keep that in mind.
    What do you mean by that?
    If the customer gets the DSL test result "unavailable", it is a fail, for all means and purposes, IMO.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I mean if he's tested 100 numbers over 5 minutes (example only, I can't remember the exact figures), then the last 25 of them will fail, even if the numbers are actually passing on the eircom line test DB. So there is a cutoff point (to stop me checking all numbers) after which all numbers are returned as failed, regardles of their actual status in the DB.

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

cgarvey wrote:
    I mean if he's tested 100 numbers over 5 minutes (example only, I can't remember the exact figures), then the last 25 of them will fail, even if the numbers are actually passing on the eircom line test DB. So there is a cutoff point (to stop me checking all numbers) after which all numbers are returned as failed, regardles of their actual status in the DB.

.cg
    I entered around 20 numbers. It took about 25 minutes, because had to go looking for them. Castletownroche is the village if you want to check it yourself.

Advertisement