Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grounded because I don't believe in God.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭deltablaze

No because at a young age I think you wouldn't understand religion, so whats the point if they wont understand? They can decide at older age

Crucifix:
    Yeah, but now I think I should go the whole way or else they still make me go and try to worship a god I do not believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

so you would write to the schools to excuse your child from all prayers and whatever? I mean would you have your child baptised?

Yeah I'd say I would and all that, I wouldn't excuse my child from prayers or the sort, if he/she wanted to go to mass I'd take them there.
    But I'd let the child find the religon him/herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Look at it from your parents' perspective. I'm not condoning their punishment but why do you think they're so adamant that you attend mass?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Beruthiel wrote:
    once or twice my daughter gave me that reason, I used to tell her she was welcome to move in with her friends parents whenever she wished ;)
    Aren't you an Atheist?
    Why would you force that on a child that does not believe?
    If anything, it will make them hate the church.
    Even if I believed in a religion, I would not bring a child to my faith. It's better to let them decide when old enough, so they can hoin if they want.

OP, I just go when I am at home, please mother and all that.
    They do so much for you.
    When you move out in about three years you will be free of the crap.
    Look at the girls at mass tbh. :)

Look at it from your parents' perspective. I'm not condoning their punishment but why do you think they're so adamant that you attend mass?
    I dunno but they shouldn't be forcing to because that's just wrong. I wouldn't mind if they gave me their opinion and stuff, and tried to get me to change my mind but they don't they just say GO TO MASS, which is pointless.
    I'm gonna talk to the priest and just tell him I have lost faith that way my parents can't force me because the priest will know so it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I don't consider myself a catholic at all and only go to mass for weddings or funerals these days. Anyhoos when I do go i'd say what prayers i can remember and go thru the motions but I don't ever take communion. To me taking communion is the whole point of going to mass and showing that you're a catholic and agreeing with the rulings of the church etc so it'd be a lie to myself and the people who believe in god take it. I've been asked a few times why I didn't go up and when I explain that to people (not in a way that says i'm poo-pooing their religion) they seem to be okay with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I can't believe all you people that automatically thought, ooh immature kid rebelling, you should apologise to the guy for presuming he didn't sit down and explain his reasons for not wanting to go to church. And the 'live under your roof pay for your food response is nonsense too', its got nothing to do with that,

I think 14/15 is prefectly good age to stop going to church out of pure habit.

I think the OP made a mistake by agreeing to go to mass 2 times a month.

I dont' see it as a matter of give and take either, I have a feeling that like somebody said the priest will say well your parents or still in the mode of bringing you up teaching you about the world etc etc and going to church is part of it, and again I think a 14 years is about the time when you can deicde to drops bits like literally believing in an omnipotent supernatural god and organised religion. You'll still can be thought about morals and behaviour from this Christian Western society that even Irish athiests live and follow to a various degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Marts wrote:
    sorry to take this off topic a bit, but to all you who are not going to mass now, when you have kids (if you do have any) will you bring them to mass? I will up until the time they are old nough to rationally decide for themselves if they believe in it or not. I am not going to deny them a religion. how about everyone else?

To be honest Marts, thats a very good point and the true answer is I don't know. I mean, I wouldn't want to deny anybody a religion but if I had my children baptised when I have no faith, am I not just being a hypocrite? If I was never baptised and had the option of choosing any religion in the world, Catholicism is not what I would choose. So is it fair to baptise my child as a Catholic by default, because that's what I happen to have been baptised as myself.

Sorry if this is getting a little philosophical. I'm hoping that by the time I get around to having kids (in about ten years) that the whole issue of religion will have become obsolete.

• Advertisement

I can't believe all you people that automatically thought, ooh immature kid rebelling, you should apologise to the guy for presuming he didn't sit down and explain his reasons for not wanting to go to church. And the 'live under your roof pay for your food response is nonsense too', its got nothing to do with that,

I think 14/15 is prefectly good age to stop going to church out of pure habit.

I think the OP made a mistake by agreeing to go to mass 2 times a month.

I dont' see it as a matter of give and take either, I have a feeling that like somebody said the priest will say well your parents or still in the mode of bringing you up teaching you about the world etc etc and going to church is part of it, and again I think a 14 years is about the time when you can deicde to drops bits like literally believing in an omnipotent supernatural god and organised religion. You'll still can be thought about morals and behaviour from this Christian Western society that even Irish athiests live and follow to a various degrees.
    Thanks, I'm thinking of showing my parents this seeing as many of you guys agree. Maybe that will help seeing as alot of adults opinions are coming out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

If I was you I wouldn't give up. Being forced into a religion is the most stupid thing ever. Just don't go. Keep fighting them. It might make tension etc. but it will be meaningless if you actually go, not to mention a complete waste of your time and other peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

OP, your parents will probably get fed up of trying to get you to go to Mass eventually and change their tactic to smug comments like "He'll go back to the church when he's older and sees sense". The only thing is that this takes longer with some parents than with others... o_O
    sorry to take this off topic a bit, but to all you who are not going to mass now, when you have kids (if you do have any) will you bring them to mass? I will up until the time they are old nough to rationally decide for themselves if they believe in it or not. I am not going to deny them a religion. how about everyone else?

I'll baptise mine because it's a good excuse for a partay but will never bring them to mass - it's far too boring tbh. A la carte "Catholicism" is the thing in Ireland these days, anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I wouldn't baptise em. I imagine you can still become a catholic late in life if you were never baptised, no?
    And to the OP, I still don't think you should go back on the compromise. You're supposed to be showing a rational maturity, and if you welch on a deal you made they'll just be more annoyed and take you less seriously. I reckon take the deal for a few months at least, then try to renegotiate.

Crucifix wrote:
    I wouldn't baptise em. I imagine you can still become a catholic late in life if you were never baptised, no?
    And to the OP, I still don't think you should go back on the compromise. You're supposed to be showing a rational maturity, and if you welch on a deal you made they'll just be more annoyed and take you less seriously. I reckon take the deal for a few months at least, then try to renegotiate.

Hang on a second, that deal was mistake, he welched out on himself by promising to go at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Marts wrote:
    so you would write to the schools to excuse your child from all prayers and whatever? I mean would you have your child baptised?
    When I have kids, there's no way in hell I'm having them baptised, and I will do my best to find them an inter-denominational school, or else one where religion is not taught. I really don't want my future children attending a Catholic school.
    I stopped going to Mass the week after my Confirmation, just stuck things out for the payday! My mum gave us all the choice at age 12, and both me and my younger brother stopped going straight away. My 13 year old sister goes occasionally. It's stories like the OP's one that make me appreciate my very liberal Christian mother - who only still attends a Catholic church because she doesn't want the hassle of going looking for a church which better suits her beliefs. And also doesn't mind the fact that 2 of her 3 children are atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

No matter what any of us here think they are your perents rules so you just have to live with it till your 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OP, if you're actually interested in getting intelligent about it, study up on the Confirmation. It's the point at which you're meant to be trusted to control your own spiritual destiny (up until that point your spiritual fulfilment is your parents' responsibility), and thus the decision to not go to mass should indeed be yours. If your parents are true Catholic believers then they're hypocrits for forcing you to go.

Phrase it nicer than that though.

Personally, I always hated mass as a kid. It's boring. Children shouldn't be brought to mass, period. Even if they do end up being Catholic, it's irrelevant to them at a young age, it means nothing. When I was around 13/14 both my parents became seriously disillusioned with organised religion, and stopped going, so I did too. Up until then I only went to meet my mates and giggle down the back anyway. My Mum started going again occasionally a couple of years later, but soon stopped again.

In terms of my kids, I know my gf will want her kids to be baptised and go to mass, and I've no real problem with that. But I won't be going with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

look at it as a social event, meet some people in the porch that are in the same boat and hang out with them for t hour, i was forced t go even when in college up till i started payin my way in the gaff, i met loads of people i would normally never have gotten t know. just hung out around the back of the church and have a laugh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sinister wrote:
    look at it as a social event, meet some people in the porch that are in the same boat and hang out with them for t hour, i was forced t go even when in college up till i started payin my way in the gaff, i met loads of people i would normally never have gotten t know. just hung out around the back of the church and have a laugh.
    Some people can't do that. I was in the front row every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Hang on a second, that deal was mistake, he welched out on himself by promising to go at all?
    Sure, but I still think flip-flopping is only going to make his parents think he isn't taking it seriously.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    OP, if you're actually interested in getting intelligent about it, study up on the Confirmation. It's the point at which you're meant to be trusted to control your own spiritual destiny (up until that point your spiritual fulfilment is your parents' responsibility), and thus the decision to not go to mass should indeed be yours. If your parents are true Catholic believers then they're hypocrits for forcing you to go.

Phrase it nicer than that though.

Personally, I always hated mass as a kid. It's boring. Children shouldn't be brought to mass, period. Even if they do end up being Catholic, it's irrelevant to them at a young age, it means nothing. When I was around 13/14 both my parents became seriously disillusioned with organised religion, and stopped going, so I did too. Up until then I only went to meet my mates and giggle down the back anyway. My Mum started going again occasionally a couple of years later, but soon stopped again.

In terms of my kids, I know my gf will want her kids to be baptised and go to mass, and I've no real problem with that. But I won't be going with them.
    Aha! So, basically if I explain that they would pretty much be going against ther religion? Sweet. I think this'l do it for me..and I'm forced to sit with them at the front :(

Crucifix wrote:
    Sure, but I still think flip-flopping is only going to make his parents think he isn't taking it seriously.

we have some people telling him just to do what his parents tell him to do 'till he is 18', and you accuse him of flip-floping? maybe he's under a certain amount of pressure?? if he doens't go to mass next week he won't be flip-flopping, it will show them he is being serious, deltablaze don't go to mass this Sunday or ever again even on christmas day if you don't believe in God.

this till you 18 thing is ridiculous most people I know who stoped going did so around 16, Im hesistent to say this but I think this 'go to mass until 18 cos your parents tell you' must be a country thing?

deltablaze why exactly did you agree to go two times a week

you don't need to read or study a book to know or argue there is no god!

deltablaze.
    Yes I was too, not very christian of the christians. It was also annoying as i knew so much more about Christianity than they did. Bad memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

deltablaze wrote:
    Aha! So, basically if I explain that they would pretty much be going against ther religion? Sweet. I think this'l do it for me..and I'm forced to sit with them at the front :(
    Do some study on it before you start storming in telling them they're hypocrits.:)

we have some people telling him just to do what his parents tell him to do 'till he is 18', and you accuse him of flip-floping? maybe he's under a certain amount of pressure?? if he doens't go to mass next week he won't be flip-flopping, it will show them he is being serious, deltablaze don't go to mass this Sunday or ever again even on christmas day if you don't believe in God.

this till you 18 thing is ridiculous most people I know who stoped going did so around 16, Im hesistent to say this but I think this 'go to mass until 18 cos your parents tell you' must be a country thing?

deltablaze why exactly did you agree to go two times a week

you don't need to read or study a book to know or argue there is no god!
    Yeah, if I go they'll just get the impression that on some days I'm lazy, but I can tell myself that I'm not because I'm always up anyway before mass. Also, although I'm under their roof and their rules, that doesn't mean I have to believe the same as them.
    Whenever I mention that I don't believe in God my mum gets real ticked off and starts yelling at me, which I think is unjust seeing as I'm only being honest.

seamus wrote:
    Do some study on it before you start storming in telling them they're hypocrits.:)
    Any links would be very helpfull, just so I know exactly what I'm talking about before I start a war in the household, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Ah you poor dear. I'd a friend who was in the same situation, and it didn't end until she moved out.
    I'm one of the lucky ones that only has to go on Christmas Day. :D

That can't have helped much, but anyway...

deltablaze wrote:
    Yeah, if I go they'll just get the impression that on some days I'm lazy, but I can tell myself that I'm not because I'm always up anyway before mass. Also, although I'm under their roof and their rules, that doesn't mean I have to believe the same as them.
    Whenever I mention that I don't believe in God my mum gets real ticked off and starts yelling at me, which I think is unjust seeing as I'm only being honest.

That is just feeding into everybodies of assumptions, including your parents, of you as a lazy teenager, which is a mistake.

Imagine being forced and blackmailed to Church till your 18 in this day in age. Ridiculous.

You don't need a book to argue this point, this only underestimates what you already know. Although the thing about confirmation is a very good point. I wonder how you felt at the time, or where you going through the motions as I was at the time. knowledge of the issue on both sides is good, but you don't want to argueing about whether there is a God or not or whether you should go to church, (you won't win the arguement with them), you would be putting the arguement firmly in their world where its a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I remember being in the same position but luckily, being the youngest of four who all went through the same, I knew better than to get stuck in a power battle where really I had no power bar emotional blackmail.I found it very self-liberating when I began to make decisions about my life such as this.I decided to myself,"logically there's almost zero chance a god exists, I don't believe in god and if I am wrong i'm willing to suffer for that (non)belief".I still went though,I passed the time by imagining the stories, and basic reflection of the previous week,..anything really.

It's very mature to make some of these simple decisions but it's even more mature to be the bigger man/woman and not make your parents feel dissapointed in themselves.My Dad never believed in the church but brought us every week because of the sense of community and the lessons it thought and school etc..He never said this but he was mature enough to sacrifice his time for my mother and for his kids.My dad, who's retired still goes,to think, to meet people in the community,to remember loved ones,to ponder what jobs he'll do in the garden next week, I don't know...You don't have to believe in God to go to mass, but it can force you to give time to yourself, to gain a sense of self.

Mass isn't that bad but I can see that you want your parents to realise that your growing into a decision making adult.However imagine how good you'll feel about yourself if you can do this while not letting your selfish ego control you.In conclusion, why don't you tell your mother you'll go to mass because you don't want to fight(always nice to give a clause) but that you don't believe in god.THATS HOW YOU SHOW MATURITY.Or else get a job.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Never really got grounded or anything like that when I was young. If I didn't want to do something, I just didn't do it. I was pretty reasonable though.

Ok, obviously you're parents aren't going to budge on the matter so lets try the really rational approach. Heres what I'd tell them:

You've spent 14 years of your life being given your religion in church, in school, even on TV. You know the dogma, you understand the teachings and you kind of even agree with the message but still, somethings isn't right. There are so many questions unanswered by religion. Why do bad things happen? Why am i here? What is the whole point. You feel these questions aren't being answered by the same, monotonous lecture every week about the fish and the loaves. You have answers and you need to go ask the questions yourself. You need to find things out on your own.
    Being forced to go to church, even if you believe, will only cause resentment and bitterness. A negative frame of mind will only cause an inner focus onthe harsh reality of all religions i.e. wars, abuse, scandal, oppression and discrimination.
    Basically, this is your life to discover and forcing you to go to mass isn't going to make you believe. Just ask for a little spiritual breathing room. Tell them you're not giving up totally but just want a little space to clear your teenage head.

• Advertisement

pisslips wrote:
    I remember being in the same position but luckily, being the youngest of four who all went through the same, I knew better than to get stuck in a power battle where really I had no power bar emotional blackmail.I found it very self-liberating when I began to make decisions about my life such as this.I decided to myself,"logically there's almost zero chance a god exists, I don't believe in god and if I am wrong i'm willing to suffer for that (non)belief".I still went though,I passed the time by imagining the stories, and basic reflection of the previous week,..anything really.

It's very mature to make some of these simple decisions but it's even more mature to be the bigger man/woman and not make your parents feel dissapointed in themselves.My Dad never believed in the church but brought us every week because of the sense of community and the lessons it thought and school etc..He never said this but he was mature enough to sacrifice his time for my mother and for his kids.My dad, who's retired still goes,to think, to meet people in the community,to remember loved ones,to ponder what jobs he'll do in the garden next week, I don't know...You don't have to believe in God to go to mass, but it can force you to give time to yourself, to gain a sense of self.

Mass isn't that bad but I can see that you want your parents to realise that your growing into a decision making adult.However imagine how good you'll feel about yourself if you can do this while not letting your selfish ego control you.In conclusion, why don't you tell your mother you'll go to mass because you don't want to fight(always nice to give a clause) but that you don't believe in god.THATS HOW YOU SHOW MATURITY.Or else get a job.....
    Nice reply. But the thing is here, I'm not fighting to show I'm mature, I'm fighting for my beliefs and also because church for me is a waste of time. I don't feel any of this spiritual ****, and probably never will :) But I can see were you're coming from, but my mum WANTS me to believe in god, and just gets angry if I don't agree with church opinions and stuff.

Sangre wrote:
    Never really got grounded or anything like that when I was young. If I didn't want to do something, I just didn't do it. I was pretty reasonable though.

Ok, obviously you're parents aren't going to budge on the matter so lets try the really rational approach. Heres what I'd tell them:

You've spent 14 years of your life being given your religion in church, in school, even on TV. You know the dogma, you understand the teachings and you kind of even agree with the message but still, somethings isn't right. There are so many questions unanswered by religion. Why do bad things happen? Why am i here? What is the whole point. You feel these questions aren't being answered by the same, monotonous lecture every week about the fish and the loaves. You have answers and you need to go ask the questions yourself. You need to find things out on your own.
    Being forced to go to church, even if you believe, will only cause resentment and bitterness. A negative frame of mind will only cause an inner focus onthe harsh reality of all religions i.e. wars, abuse, scandal, oppression and discrimination.
    Basically, this is your life to discover and forcing you to go to mass isn't going to make you believe. Just ask for a little spiritual breathing room. Tell them you're not giving up totally but just want a little space to clear your teenage head.
    Yeah, but I dunno if they're gonna buy that seeing as I tried similiar things before. It's worth a good shot though. I'm not just going to wait till I'm 18 - thats the easy way out, believe it or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I still don't see how it can hurt to go to mass. It'll please your parents at the very least, and best case scenario, Catholicism was right all along and you'll get to skip the queue into Heaven.

I don't particularly believe in God myself, at least not the Christian one- I'm much too much of a scientist. But I'm willing to accept that I may be wrong and until I know for definate, I'll never entirely discount the possibility of a God. Just don't get me started of Creationism...

deltablaze wrote:
    Yeah, but I dunno if they're gonna buy that seeing as I tried similiar things before. It's worth a good shot though. I'm not just going to wait till I'm 18 - thats the easy way out, believe it or not.

Well said, see he knows exactly what he is talking about while other people
    talk about him 'clearing his teenage head' FFS. :rolleyes: :o

Pisslips are great first two paragraphs and then this flabbergasting turn around??

*shakes head* What is this Church or job nonsense. What has religion and earning money got to do with each other? Why are suggesting it his selfish ego that is prompting this? Where the hell did that come from?

Get up and go for a walk or go skateboarding if you really want your spiritual space.

Pisslips are great first two paragraphs and then this flabbergasting turn around??

*shakes head* What is this Church or job nonsense. What has religion and earning money got to do with each other? Why are suggesting it his selfish ego that is prompting this? Where the hell did that come from?

Get up and go for a walk or go skateboarding if you really want your spiritual space.
    Lol, ^ agrees!
    Besides, I already have a job (kinda). I make web layouts for people and sell 'em.
    I'm gonna try doing this thing seamus suggested about getting the information about confirmation, seeing as if they disagree I can prove them as hypocrites, and if they still oppose me I'll just not go. Not gona be forced into this.

Well then, it's a test of will, you'll suffer but you'll prove that you have conviction, it's as simple as that.Just remember that they're still gonna love you and not to get involved in too much bickerring and say something that you'll regret.Don't say typical teenage stuff like, none of my friends go or I'm not talking to you or sulk.Show them that other people don't influence your decision,that they don't intimidate you with dismissive remarks and/or yelling/punishment, most importantly that you respect them.If they think for a second that "your too big for your boots" or that you don't respect their opinion, they'll switch off.Just be calm,consistent and respectfull untill you get what you want, just like Gandhi.

*gets shot by religious fundamentalist*
    *and again*.....*and again*...............

I was basically giving her an easy way out by showing how sometimes it can be harder to "bite the bullet" than to selfishly(too strong a word)live by your convictions.The church or job thing was just about maturity which I still think this is about.IN a way it's about making yourself do something that you don't want to.
    Like her father running a restaurant. I didn't actually mean that there's any connection between money and religion.

Beruthiel wrote:
    once or twice my daughter gave me that reason, I used to tell her she was welcome to move in with her friends parents whenever she wished ;)

which is a bit of a flippent point don't you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

takola wrote:
    No of course it isnt fair!!! But at the end of the day as faith said, you are living with under your parents rule, and it is only an hour a week.
    Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm afraid while you are under your parents roof you abide by their rules. As said already, it's an hour out of your week, just go.
    I haven't read the rest of the thread yet so I don't know if anyone else has said this - that's crap. Your parents have no right to enforce a religion on you. Their house is not a temple or church. Their rules have no bearing on your beliefs.

I'm speaking as a parent here. I'm/We're atheist. And as such our kids haven't been initiated into any religion. If they, at any age, decide they want to be part of a religion that's their choice and there is no way at all that I would punish them for it. Conversely punishing someone for refusing to be part of a religion that they don't believe is equally wrong. "Only an hour a week" is one hour of hypocracy if that's not your belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Until a child is 18 a parent is thier legal and moral gaurdain and if the parents happend to be christain
    then they have sworn to bring up thier children in thier faith.
    Yes if the child has been confirmed they are ment to be responsible for thier own religious practices
    but a lot of parents don't see it that way.

Part of growing up is thinking for yourslef and making decisions about how you are going to live your life.
    Parents are ment to be understanding of this and allow it with in certain limits;
    so while really it is no longer thier affair you have to weigh up the cost of such a battle with them.
    You have to learn to manage your parents and pick your battles so that you all survive the battle of you growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Macros42 wrote:
    ...Your parents have no right to enforce a religion on you. Their house is not a temple or church. Their rules have no bearing on your beliefs....

Its not their rules. Its the rules of their religon. They are obligated to bring up their children as catholics.

How the rights of parents to practise their own religion relate to a childs civils rights I have no idea. And when are you an adult legally? 18? As a child are you legally entitled not to go to mass? Probably.

http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=9363&sec=59&con=61

Thaedydal wrote:
    Until a child is 18 a parent is thier legal and moral gaurdain and if the parents happend to be christain then they have sworn to bring up thier children in thier faith.
    That's a Catholic thing more that a Christian thing. Catholicism differs from other Christian faiths in that the community worship together. In Protestant beliefs you "stand alone before God". That is why I'd assume that the OP's parents are Catholic. tbh the highest principle in Catholicism is guilt - hence the heavy reaction from the OP's parents.

Its not their rules. Its the rules of their religon. They are obligated to bring up their children as catholics.
    So they are obligated to penalise their child for his free will. They didn't fail in their duty - they brought him up in their faith. But he has reached his own decision regarding his faith or lack of therein and is being penalised for it.
    How the rights of parents to practise their own religion relate to a childs civils rights I have no idea. And when are you an adult legally? 18? As a child are you legally entitled not to go to mass? Probably.

http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=9363&sec=59&con=61
    You should read The Bicentennial Man by Asimov (not the film - that had no bearing on the book). When the robot went to court to be declared free the judge ruled that any being with the intelligence to understand the concept and desire the state of freedom cannot be prevented from obtaining it. Regarding the OP - he was brought up as a Catholic and has reached the level of maturity where he does not desire to continue in this faith - that is his decision - not his parents.

Basically if you can sue them successfully, then you are old enough. :D

Did the spiritual leaders have the right to make islamic fundamentalists out of terrorists because they felt it was their duty?Why is it right for her parents to force religion on her?
    Idealism doesn't work in real life, you need to be pragmatic,80% of the world population,who happen not to be as privaliged as me ,and i think you aswell, know that.

You have to just learn to have confidence in your own beliefs so that you don't feel you need the approval of others even if they are your parents.Then you can justify being a little diplomatic for your parents sake and not for yours.Being able to compromise, even on your strongest beliefs is also part of growing up, so long as it's for the right reasons.
    But yeah, I do think you should make a peacefull protest if you will, at least it will be a learning experience, you probably find a lot out about your parents aswell.

Also, she has already made the decision not to believe in God, It's impossible to take that right away without mind control.You don't have to prove yourself to anyone,you don't believe in god it's as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

(they don't listen to me.)
    Have YOU tried listening to them, Its sounds harsh but maybe your folks need to know that they're heard too. Maybe if you heard their side, you may understand them a bit little bit more and realise where they're coming from. You know they have your best interests at heart so whatever they do they're doing it for you. Tell 'em why you feel as you do but at least have an argument to back it up. If my girl has something to say she sez it, not always pleasent but at least its out in de open and you can deal with it. You're parent"s can't know if ya feel bad if you don't tell 'em.

Compromise. Go every 2nd week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hang on... didn't Jesus die on the corss for honesty? Didn't he get horsewhipped because he refused to give in to Pontius Pilate?

Your beliefs (and those of your parents) instruct you to hold firm and ride out the punishment with dignity, recpect and love for your parents... but not to budge one inch where your beliefs are concerned.

One question I would like to ask the OP: Do you have an alternate faith to which you do practice? Is it possible your parents would accept your decision if you practices buddhism, for example? Most parental fears revolve around their kids not having a belief at all, rather than not having a belief in catholicsim.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm well in my thirties and still get this attitude from my ma about going to mass when I'm down at home. The difference with me and my younger rebellious OP compatriot is that as a parent myself now, I appreciate how much my ma did for me when I was a child and If all it take is going to mass to keep her happy then so be it - it's a small price to pay. But then the OP is young and full of the folly of youth.

In years to come, mass wil be like the teaching of Irish. We all hated it but suddenly Gaelscoileanna sprung up everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I probably stopped going to mass around 16 or 17. Like many I had no interest much younger. I am a parent myself now of two kids and neither are baptized. In saying all that I 100% support your parents right to have you go to mass. What you believe is entirely up to yourself but what your parents request of you is another matter. If we switched mass with school for a minute what would the comments be like wonder? A 14 year who wishs to drop out of school because he believes it has no value to him. If your parents are Catholics then to them going to church may be as important as going to school.

When you finally work for a living you will realize you will have to do things in a job you may feel is pointless or counter productive. You will do them because it is required of you, or you will not hold a job for long. At some point you will progress in your career enough to be able to push back on these activities and provide reasoning as to why it's pointless. This is all part of life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement