Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to heat a room....Oil central heating, or Gas Heater?

• 01-05-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

In order to heat a single room in a house, which would be the cheapest way to do this?

Using oil fired central heating and just heating the one room, or alternatively not using the central heating and using a portable gas bottle heater, similar to these...

http://www.tgsindustrial.co.uk/se_calor_gas_portable_fires.asp

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

Hello Treble,

Are you talking about cost of fuel or cost of appliance?

I think that kW per kW oil and gas are not too far removed, however, one of those little stoves would probably be more efficient becuase all the heat goes to the single room and not out a flue. A problem with such heaters is that the air in the room becomes very dry.

Have you considered a wood pellet stove? kW per kW fuel costs less than half is purchased in bulk or a little more than have if purchased on bags.

Regards,
    Ned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

treble wrote:
    In order to heat a single room in a house, which would be the cheapest way to do this?

Using oil fired central heating and just heating the one room, or alternatively not using the central heating and using a portable gas bottle heater, similar to these...

http://www.tgsindustrial.co.uk/se_calor_gas_portable_fires.asp

Thanks for any info!
    There are a lot of variables: How old is your oil boiler (later boiler are much more efficient than older models) Is your boiler inside or outside - at the end of the garden ?
    Your oil boiler will not just be heating the room, it will probably also give you plenty of hot water. Electric water heating costs a lot !
    Not a simple question :(
    Try Evergreen's idea or just a simple wood burning stove which just heats one room.
    Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Being biased I would have to agree with Evergreen ;), leaving the business aside and posting as a consumer I would not use a Calor Gas fire in any room.

As already posted they dry out the air while causing terrible condensation problems and they do smell especially when getting to the end of the gas cylinder.

As to running cost LPG is one of the most expensive fuels you can buy, dearer than heating oil.

I speak from experience as we had one of those in the office for a very short time, terrible head aches were the main side effect.

Maybe you can add a radiator to your heating system ? or look at the solution offered by JamesM.

I'm sure the calor heater is still around the office if you want it.

Advertisement