Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbecue next weekend - need some ideas

• 01-05-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals.

Im gonna be doing a barbeque next weekend at a party (weather permitting). I was wondering if anyone could share some barbeque recipies (the easier the better) with me? Im gonna cook burgers etc for the kids, but I need something to cook for the adults?

Thanks you guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

get a tin foil tray, pop some digestive biscuits in the bottom, pop some chocolate and marshmallows on top, another biscuit on top of each pile, more choc and marshmallows, another biscuit, just warm ppl coz the marshmallows will be scalding when you give them out

for the kids you can barbeque bananas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Tree wrote:
    get a tin foil tray, pop some digestive biscuits in the bottom, pop some chocolate and marshmallows on top, another biscuit on top of each pile, more choc and marshmallows, another biscuit, just warm ppl coz the marshmallows will be scalding when you give them out

for the kids you can barbeque bananas

Hmmmm... interesting! I can see the biscuit/chocolate/marshmallow thing going horribly wrong for some reason! But thanks for the idea. Has anyone got some easy marinades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

add equal parts sharwoods sweet chille sauce and dark soya sauce with a small ammount of olive oil and brush on chicken wings/legs and ribs.
    I would suggest precooking the chicken and pork ribs, bang them in the over and when they are mostly cooked then coat them and
    bbq them to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

1) Spare ribs

Boil spare ribs in beer (no, really) for 2-3 hours at a low simmer. Then cover in some BBQ sauce (home-made or bought) and give about 15 mins on the grill.

2) Lamb marinaded in yoghurt w. lemon-juice, mint and salt.

I ususally do this using skewers.

3) Chicken teryaki / chicken tandoori

look up a recipe / buy a jar of teryaki or tandoori sauce, and do skewers.

4) Tuna in chilli, garlic, lime & coriander.

Cut/Smash up a peeled lime (flesh and all, don't just juice it), a couple of cloves of garlic, a chilli, and a handful of fresh coriander. Mix with a bit o' rock salt and some sunflower oil. Smear over tuna steaks about 10 mins before grilling.

----

To be honest, once you know how to cook on a grill (bbq), its pretty simple after that. You want something that will drip, so either slightly fatty meat, or something with a nice sauce on it. If the sauce is thin (e.g. teryaki) then you'll need to brush the meat several times while cooking.

I would also do my spuds (wrapped in tinfoil) on the grill when I have it lit. Corn on the cob works well too. Also, chop some onion, mix in some sunflower oil, rock salt, a bit of fresh thyme and a sprinkling of pepper. Wrap in tinfoil, and cook on the grill for about 40 mins. Can do the same with courgettes, peppers, etc. if you like.

Be *very* careful cooking non-red meat with bones (e.g. chicken drumsticks / pork chops). Its too easy to undercook them on teh inside while still burning teh outside, and giving everyone food poisoning to boot.

And while I remember them....Tesco's used to do a range of flavoured sausages....dunno if they're still on the market. If they are...they're the bomb off the grill.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's a couple of salads...

Cous Cous Salad

Ingredients
    1 packet of cous cous
    1 medium red pepper, finely diced
    1 medium red onion, finely diced
    1 bunch scallions, finely diced
    5 sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 knobs butter
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground chilli
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preparation
    Prepare the cous cous as per the packet instructions
    When done add 1 tbsp of olive oil & butter & mix thoroughly then allow to cool
    Gently fry the spices in the remaining olive oil for 2 mins
    Add the pepper, onion, garlic & salt & sweat for 10 mins
    Allow to cool & then mix into the cous cous with the sun-dried tomatoes, scallions & balsamic

Five Spice Rice Salad

Ingredients
    250g rice
    1 medium red pepper, finely diced
    1 medium red onion, finely diced
    1 bunch scallions, finely diced
    2 medium carrots, finely diced
    2 sticks celery, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 tsp chinese five spice
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ground chilli
    Salt & pepper to season
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp Tabasco

Preparation
    On a medium gently fry the rice in 2 tbsp of oil & turmeric for 3 minutes & ensure rice is well coated
    Add water & cook as normal then allow to cool
    In small bowl mix remaining spices & oil with soy sauce, balsamic & Tabasco
    When cool transfer rice to large bowl & add diced vegetables
    Pour spice mix over rice & vegetables & mix thoroughly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And marinated ribs...

Boil your ribs for 20 to 30 mins.

To make the marinade mix the following:
    3 tbsps marmalade (trust me!)
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp Tabasco
    2 scallions finely sliced
    1 red chilli finely sliced
    1 clove garlic crushed
    1 cm ginger grated

Pat the ribs dry in paper towels & rub in the marinade.
    If possible, refrigerate for 1 hour.
    Finish off on BBQ to taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sausages are great on a bbq. but they have to be good sausages, not denny rubbish.
    If you can source them from a butcher that makes them try and get fat ones.
    Try and find Boerwurst south african sausage sold in a big coil, easy to cook and serve.
    a good supply of bread rolls and tomato sauce is always a good idea.
    Lamb chops cook well on a bbq especially slightly fatty ones, always have a spray bottle of water on hand to keep fat fires down.
    for dessert put bananas on the grill and cook for about 7-10 mins until softish.
    peel and pour a glug of tia maria or baileys over them or nutella for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

CJhaughey wrote:
    Try and find Boerwurst south african sausage sold in a big coil, easy to cook and serve.

They do Boerewors now on Parnell St., Moore Street and for really good ones hicks do them in Temple Bar market or elsewhere.

<edit> a good tip for the spray bottle is to use a bottle of beer, just put your finger over the top and spray as needed, always taste it just after to make sure it's still good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get a heap of chiken wings and leave them marinating overnight in the fridge in a casserole dish filled with orange juice and soy sauce and whatever other herbs you like. Throw them on and cook away - tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Blub2k4 wrote:
    <edit> a good tip for the spray bottle is to use a bottle of beer, just put your finger over the top and spray as needed, always taste it just after to make sure it's still good ;)

Ah yes. The non-empty beer bottle - the most important tool to have when BBQing. It puts out over-eager fat-flare-ups, it adds flavour to food, it can even be used for emergency refreshment...

Never grill without one.

You can use a stick as a replacement for your tongs/fork, and you can survive without skewers, tin-foil, cleaning brushes or anything else....but you have to have your beer bottle.

Assuming, of course, that you're of legal age :)

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Sweet jebus - brilliant stuff lads, so many ideas! Ive done a few bbq's before but only ever cooked the traditional stuff. Keep em coming ;)
    like the beer idea - emergency refreshment! haha, tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Potato Salad

750g tub of new/charlotte potatoes
    3 tbsp mayo (use low-fat if you like.. I don't really notice a taste difference)
    1 tbsp finely chopped chives
    1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    1 tsp. finely chopped mint
    3-4 finely sliced spring onions
    2 shallots, finely minced
    Maldon salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Boil potatoes in plenty of boiling salted water for 15 mins or until tender. Drain & leave to cool.

When they're cool enough to handle, slice into 3-4 pieces per spud & mix with all the other ingredients.

Cover & stick in the fridge until needed. Try not to dip into them every time you open the fridge, or you'll have to make another batch!!!:D

French Cucumber Salad
    1 large cucumber
    1/2 tub creme fraiche
    1 clove garlic, crushed or very finely minced
    1 tsp. dill, finely chopped
    Maldon salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Using a mandolin, slice the cucumber into very thin slices.
    Put in a colander, sprinkle with salt & weigh down with a plate/jam jar or whatever you have to hand.
    Leave in the sink for at least an hour to drain off as much of the liquid as possible. (I'd recommend giving them a turn every 20 mins or so, just to make sure they're all evenly drained)

Pat dry the slices in a CLEAN teatowel and then place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Cover & keep in the fridge until needed.

After a while, you will notice that there's some excess liquid in the bowl - just tip this down the sink & give the cucumber a quick mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

chicken kebabs
    cut chicken into largish bitesize pieces and place in bowl.
    either buy a marinade already made or make one of your own (i normally just throw in some worcester sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce, laft over salsa dip, spice mix etc), cover and leave in the fridge for a few hours, or over night if possible.
    soak wooden scewers/kebab sticks in water (to prevent them catching fire)
    chop peppers and onions into bite size chunks (or sue shallots).
    then thread kebabs alternating chicken, peppers, onions and whole mushrooms.
    they don't normally need cooking before hand as the chicken pieces are small enough to cook quickly but can be done in hot oven for 10-15 minutes first and then finished on bbq for flavour.

also, nigella lawson has a recipe for bbq-ed pineapple and chocolate dipping sauce. i think it's in the forever summer book. i saw it on tv recently and checked uktvfood.co.uk but the recipes not up. anyways, it looked lovely.
    went along the lines of:
    prepare pineapple by halving it, cutting skin off, and cutting it into long chunky pieces. coat in brown sugar and scewer. taost on bbq until golden.
    in saucepan melt equal parts chocolate and double cream, and a half part rum (not sure of exact quantities). dip pineapple in chocolate sauce and eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Sweet BBQ chicken ,
    A favourite of mine which came from a relation in South Africa ,
    Get some chicken breasts , thighs , fillets or what ever you prefer and
    marinate / submerge them in Coca Cola for at least 16hours overnight in the fridge .
    Once you take them out the next day cook them till nearlly done in the oven then pop on the bbq until cooked as desired .

Coke might sound weird I know but the chicken will turn out nice and juicy and have no taste whatsoever of coke.

I have also tried this with adding 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped per lb of chicken with 1l of orange juice to the cola , which is also fairly nice !

I just googles the recepie too and found a few on coke website

http://www2.coca-cola.com/heritage/recipe_easychicken.html

!!!!!!!

Advertisement