Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandelion Removal.

Options
  • 01-05-2006 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Which is the MOST EFFECTIVE method? Chemical (sceptical) or mechanical (going down for the long root, tricky!)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I used "Roundup" last year and it took a year for the lawn to repair itself. So don't touch that stuff.

Same problem this year with the long leaf weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dandelions EVERYWHERE this year....twice as bad as last year.

Just use Lawn Sand for weeds. But make sure you spread it evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I treat with lawn feed & broad leaf weed killer & then use an old kitchen knife (the big one!) for removing dandelions incl. taps & daisys.

The front lawn is virtually clear as I focused on that for the last 3 years. The back lawn is getting there.

I also scarify the lawns in April & October.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to remove the weed by the root. But, I've moved to a new house and there is so many I'd never keep up. I used Round-Up but you have to be careful that you only get it on the Dandeloin and not on the grass or the grass will die too as in K-TRICs post - spray at close range. Round-Up is a 'contact' killer that uses the plants xylem and phloem to transport the herbicide to the root of the plant and kill it. I've also used a 3-in-1 powder on the front lawn and it kills weeds, moss and fertilizes the grass at the same time. I only put it down last week but so fay the dandeloins and daisys are withering.

If you chop off the flowers you'll be also limiting their reproduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

For just one or two digging them up can be very effective. For a more widespread problem spray the whole lawn with a lawn weedkiller like Verdone.

This is the perfect time of year to spray lawns - just wait for a few days of settled dry weather. You'll notice all the yellow dandelion flowers looking less pert after 24 hours and they'll be dead within a few days.

For god's sake don't spray roundup on your lawn unless you're prepared to go around painting the weed leaves individually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The most effective chemical control of these types of weeds is stuff called D50. It'll kill most things but not grass.

Advertisement