Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony up to there old tricks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

115GFlops vs 130GFlops is still a considerable enough jump. also, it's down to 6 SPE's because one is being set aside for OS and security things...

it's not just the raw power that matters, it's the way it handles information. we all know that raw power means nothing in the pentium4 vs athlon64 battle (2.0GHz athlon out-performs a 3GHz pentium).. the same rules apply.

if IBM thought so little of cell they wouldn't be preparing to roll out all their servers with cell inside...

also, if i do recall, ken kutaragi didn't come out and say "cell is twice as powerful as 360". rather, he said it has nearly twice the floating-point calculation abilities

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

"PS3 is ****, says 'Xbox 360 Fanboy' blog"

There's a thread on this topic in the Xbox board...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054918880

The opening poster here should know, he/she has posted three times on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

monument wrote:
    "PS3 is ****, says 'Xbox 360 Fanboy' blog"

There's a thread on this topic in the Xbox board...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054918880

The opening poster here should know, he/she has posted three times on it.

of course the xbox360fanboy site has info on it about the ps3, doesnt mean it was created there and is biased at all, the report is from some dude that read up on all the hardware specs, and comparsions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There - Is when you are referring to a place.
    They're - They are i.e. They're going to the shop.
    Their - Is used when referring to possession or ownership.

Please get them right. ;)

Slurms wrote:
    There - Is when you are referring to a place.
    They're - They are i.e. They're going to the shop.
    Their - Is used when referring to possession or ownership.

Please get them right. ;)

I did get it right, "it was created there" as in, over there, in that place" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ummm...you can't compare real-world performance of Cell in certain tasks to 360's peak capacity. That's really quite silly. It's like benchmarking an Intel and comparing the actual achieved figures to AMD's peak paper figures.

What kind of numbers would 360 get in these real tasks? That's the question. My bet is that it'd achieve the same fraction of its peak performance in those applications, or probably less in fact.

Compare peak numbers to peak numbers. Real world numbers to real world numbers. If Cell achieved 130Gflops in one task, Xenon would likely achieve less than 69Gflops. I say less than, because the floating point performance of Xenon cores and Cell's PPE is inflated by about 50% on paper - and this obviously affects 360 much worse than Cell, because it's entire CPU is made up of those cores, versus 1 PPE and 7 SPUs on Cell. Looking at the peak ratings and saying Cell is 2x 360 is probably an understatement because of this (and for other reasons, like the memory set up).

Nothing has changed. This is just somebody comparing an apple to an orange and concluding the 1+1=3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I still find it funny how people point to the emotion engine - a platform that has brought us most of the best games of the last six years and which continues to run games that look nearly as good(and in some cases better) as far newer Xbox and Gamecube hardware - as some sort of example of Sony's past failure...

If the cell is a modern emotion engine I'll be happy.

And as has been pointed out, figures on a blog calling itself xbox fanboy that don't compare like with like are meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

We all know PS3 will dwarf the sales of any Xbox piece of crap

Skyuser wrote:
    We all know PS3 will dwarf the sales of any Xbox piece of crap

don't think it'll "dwarf" the 360, but i'd be shocked if ps3 doesn't come out of this gen #1 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

cant people just wait till the console is actually out and then compare it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Darth Ratz

OH GAWD.... the specs will destroy us all!!!1!1!1one!!!1!!one!

Hopefully the two consoles will actually have some games worth spending 70 quid a pop on

I did get it right, "it was created there" as in, over there, in that place" ;)
    Look at the title of the thread....

Slurms wrote:
    Look at the title of the thread....

cute, :rolleyes: most be bored to point out typographical errors on threads you obviously have no interest in.

And I agree with the guy bout games, but as a gamer who prefers multiplayer myself, I think the 360 has the online multi sorted already. Hopefully the ps3 will have a decent stab it it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I doubt bored... perhaps annoyed by the spelling. I was tempted to point it out.

I'm also erring on the side of the argument that says that the blog you linked is comparing apples and oranges. Ridiculous statements all over the shop sweetheart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What are you on about? Apples are so much more better than oranges. Oranges r 4 n00borz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SnazzBot

It seems that the ps3 will make a lot more money than the XBOX 360 going on how much money Microsoft lost in the XBOX and the price that the XBOX 360 is going for in Japan, But I would not right of the Nintendo Wii off.

But the weaker consol has done better in the past eg (Game Boy v Game Gear winner Game boy) (Playstation v N64 winner Playstation) (Playstation 2 v XBOX winner Playstation 2)

All in all I feel Sony and Nintendo are passionate and like games when Microsoft are only in it fir the money. So I hope Sony and Nintendo do well and go in to make great game and Microsoft dies.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

SnazzBot wrote:
    All in all I feel Sony and Nintendo are passionate and like games when Microsoft are only in it fir the money. So I hope Sony and Nintendo do well and go in to make great game and Microsoft dies.

:D
    I seriously doubt any company is in it for any reason other than money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Ciaran500 wrote:
    if they did, they wouldnt be a company for very long

qz wrote:
    What are you on about? Apples are so much more better than oranges. Oranges r 4 n00borz.
    lolz0rz

Ciaran500 wrote:

Of course, but Sony and Nintendo seem to be investing a lot more in gaming than MS. MS's publishing efforts so far with 360 look ridculously spotty. We had 3 games at launch (only one of which was convincingly good), and nothing since? And probably nothing decent till the end of the year? It's crazy to see how much they've pared back their own investments in games compared to Xbox, relatively speaking.

• Advertisement

LookingFor wrote:
    Of course, but Sony and Nintendo seem to be investing a lot more in gaming than MS.
    Got any figures to back this up?
    LookingFor wrote:
    MS's publishing efforts so far with 360 look ridculously spotty. We had 3 games at launch (only one of which was convincingly good), and nothing since? And probably nothing decent till the end of the year?
    Cause Sony have such a great track record with launch titles :rolleyes:. You really expect Sony or Nintendo to have a constant supply of AAA games after launch?
    LookingFor wrote:
    It's crazy to see how much they've pared back their own investments in games compared to Xbox, relatively speaking.
    Again, figures please.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Cause Sony have such a great track record with launch titles :rolleyes:. You really expect Sony or Nintendo to have a constant supply of AAA games after launch?

whatever about AAA titles, sony and nintendo have always made a good job of having at least SOMETHING worthwhile at launch and throughout the lifepsan of their consoles. right now the best games for xbox are better on PC

Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
    DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
    Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
    ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
    ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
    Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
    Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
    FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
    Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
    Kessen (EA, Adventure)
    Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
    Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
    Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
    NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
    Orphen (Activision, RPG)
    Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
    Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
    Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
    Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
    SSX (EA, Sports)
    Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
    Summoner (THQ, RPG)
    Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
    Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
    TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
    Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
    Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
    X-Squad (EA, Action)

A real great launch list there.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
    Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
    TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
    Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)

those would keep me going for months with online etc. just those few are superior alone to 360's launch list

and that's in no way a final launch list. there'll be more announced at e3 no doubt. they'll have something AAA-style like Resistence: Fall of Man.

Thats the PS2 launch list and none of them had online ;)

They haven't announced the PS3 one yet.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Thats the PS2 launch list and none of them had online ;)

They haven't announced the PS3 one yet.

ha lol

well then just replace those with their sequels (ridge racer, ut2007)... they'd keep me happy for months. then of course there's the talk of MGS4 due at christmas, or early 2007 at least

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Got any figures to back this up?

Well, for starters, they employ about 2000 people in their games divison compared to MS's 1000.

Second, witness how they've sold off some of their properties - Amped, Top Spin etc.

Third, look at how few games they've released themselves to date compared to Xbox.

It's pretty obvious they've pared back considerably on their own publishing efforts since the days of the Xbox.
    Ciaran500 wrote:

Of course not, no (although their own development capability has matured significantly since the PS2 launched with just Fantavision from Sony..). But from what's been announced sofar, Sony does seem to have more of its own games in development than MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

whatever about AAA titles, sony and nintendo have always made a good job of having at least SOMETHING worthwhile at launch and throughout the lifepsan of their consoles. right now the best games for xbox are better on PC

I thought the PS2 launch was a total joke. There was literally nothing worth buying a PS2 for until GT3 came out 6 months later and then anohter six months for DMC and GTA3 for people who didn't want to play pokemon with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

regardless, sony WILL come out on top again this time, i think Ninty are removing themselves off to the side to explore a different direction.
    The main race is between sony and microsoft and sony will take it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement