Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small shunt on m50 causes backup in both directions!!

Options
  • 01-05-2006 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Saturday on the m50 heading south near firhouse the traffic suddenly all hit the brakes and we nearly came to a stop.
    As we approached @ 10kph it turns out to be what looked like a minor accident on the other side !!!

There was a hold up south and a major hold up north despite it looking as thought both lanes were open.

Rubbernecking brought to the extreme and I bet there was a few mear misses as people had to hit the brakes to avoid ploughing into the back of the rubbernecker in front.

Idiots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

This happens all the time!! I have even seen where a guard has a car or truck pulled over in one direction, and the cars slowing on the far side causing chaos! rubberneckers!!
    Seen one evening where there was a small accident, and there were 3 separate accidents caused by rubber necking...the funniest part was the rubberneckers accidents were way worse than the original fender bender!!! And yeah.. traffic was slow in both directions..unreal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Typical, the biggest cause of tailbacks on busy motorways the dopes slowing down to have a gawp which builds into a compressed concertina at which point people 2/3 miles back wonder what the fupp is going on as everything comes to a halt, assuming a big crash then by the time they get to the point traffic clears there's nothing to see!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've said it before. 4m high, sloped concrete barrier the entire length of the M50. It would serve two puposes - redirect wayward traffic back into the traffic flow (those pathetic wire things wouldn't stop a truck), and prevent people from seeing what's going on in the other direction.

We'd see the average M50 speeds shoot up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

does anyone know what this is on the side of the m50?

DSC00393.jpg

it causes so much traffic slowdown, noticable more on the weekend when people that dont normally drive on the m50 gawk at it. And just for the record it was my mate that took the photo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

ando wrote:
    does anyone know what this is on the side of the m50?

DSC00393.jpg

it causes so much traffic slowdown, noticable more on the weekend when people that dont normally drive on the m50 gawk at it. And just for the record it was my mate that took the photo ;)

Those sneaky bastards building a nuclear plant :p

I've wondered about this myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Looks like Water Tower..
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its a water tower. Nothing amazing about it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes that thing. If they hung a large fabric sign from it, saying "THIS IS JUST A WATER TOWER, DRIVE ON" (make sure the font is HUGE, so people don't have to slow down to see it), twould solve all the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Damn rubberneckers cause so many tailbacks. Why do people feel the need to slow down to look at someone elses mosfortune. Why? Why? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a giant vase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

colm_mcm wrote:
    Is it a giant vase?

yeah with giant radioactive flowers from the nuclear plant in the basement.:D

Advertisement