Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar alarm low battery - service required?

Options
  • 01-05-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

The keypad for my burglar alarm is showing a low battery. There's no manual for the alarm. Tried to take off the front of the panel to check battery. Bad move - set the alarm off :o

Do I need the services of the burglar alarm people? The alarm is from Retec btw.

And on a general point, how often should I get my alarm system serviced? I haven't had it done in the 3 years I'm in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Bendibus. Changing the alarm battery is not difficult. Now that you have the cover off you can examine the battery and see its voltage & ampage. I got my replacement battery from T O'Reillys in Inchicore for about €19.

I turned off the mains before I opened the panel cover for safetys sake and replacing the battery and panel cover only took about 5 minutes. I had to disarm the alarm a few times as it went off when I removed the panel and when I put it back on again with the replacement battery. I had someone stay at the keypad to disarm it for me after each activation

I dunno about alarm servicing. Other lads can advise you on that issue.

mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

mrblack wrote:
    I had to disarm the alarm a few times as it went off when I removed the panel and when I put it back on again with the replacement battery. I had someone stay at the keypad to disarm it for me after each activation

I guess that might work but I'm of the opinion that there must be a proper way of replacing the battery that doesn't involve setting off the alarm numerous times!

Anyone know? I'll probably arrange a service anyway. It annoys the hell out of me when other peoples alarms go off for no reason on a regular basis so in order to continue to curse them I'd better keep my own house in order! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The proper way is to set the panel to "Engineer mode" so it won't keep going off, you need to change the battery more often , eventually if they're ignored they split...

Advertisement