Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come Lehmann is immune to punishment?

• 01-05-2006 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Another incident just there with Lehmann reactiing to a nothing incident. WWhile a yellow would have been harsh on this occasion it refreshed a few other incidents from the season where he lashes out or pushes people who have dared come within a couple of feet of him.

The commentator seemed on the money when he said that Lehamnn seems to think that no one is entitled to challenge for the ball when it's within his reach. He gets away with pushing and shoving people ( steven reid I irrc) yet when others do it (Reina etc) they get sent off. Why do refs not book him?

He seems the type of person that should be playing for a jose mourinho team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He has an unbelievably short fuse. Anyone see the finger across the throat to one of the Villarreal players last week (as in "you're dead")?

Just do what Kevin Phillips did a while back, stamp on his toes. He loves that :D.
    Stekelly wrote:
    He seems the type of person that should be playing for a jose mourinho team.

Or maybe alongside Luis Garcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yeah im surprised more teams dont deliberately try get him fired up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Or maybe alongside Luis Garcia.

Harldy. Luis Garcia is a blouse. He belongs in teams with the likes of C.Ronaldo and Robert Pires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He's come on leaps and bounds this season but I guess one thing you'll never change is his temprement. Can't teach an old dog new tricks!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's hardly immune to punishment, he's been booked a number of times since arriving at Arsenal and has the record for sending-offs for a keeper in the Bundesliga.

He didn't do anything wrong today though. Jumped in the air for a catch, fell down onto the Sunderland player which the Sunderland player took exception to. Lehmann just got up nonchalantly and walked off to get the ball, the only time he came close to losing his cool was when Gary Breen tried to get into his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Q :How come Lehmann is immune to punishment?

A David Dean

Refs are afraid of the reprecussions.

The Muppet wrote:
    Q :How come Lehmann is immune to punishment?

A David Dean

Refs are afraid of the reprecussions.
    That's right Muppet, refs are afraid of the repercussions of giving decisions against Arsenal. That's why Sunderland's Dan Smith got an incredibly harsh booking for nearly taking Diaby's foot clean off today. Bloody biased referees :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lehmann is hilarious. He is clearly the most agro ****er in the world. It's brilliant to watch him get so pissed off over something so easily. I bet kids love him in school...until he threatened to bite their nose off that is.

That's right Muppet, refs are afraid of the repercussions of giving decisions against Arsenal.

I could be wrong(theres a first time for everything;)) but it is my opinion that refs and more so the FA are leniant when issues arise around Arsenal. For example I recall Ashley Cole being caught on video punching an opponent in the tunnel and was never punished for it (I forget which match it was but I'm sure you remember the incident.
    That's why Sunderland's Dan Smith got an incredibly harsh booking for nearly taking Diaby's foot clean off today. Bloody biased referees :rolleyes:

I wasn't watching the game today so I can not comment on the incident.

The Muppet wrote:
    I could be wrong(theres a first time for everything;)) but it is my opinion that refs and more so the FA are leniant when issues arise around Arsenal. For example I recall Ashley Cole being caught on video punching an opponent in the tunnel and was never punished for it (I forget which match it was but I'm sure you remember the incident.
    I don't recall Ashley Cole punching anyone in a tunnel. Got a source?

As we're recalling, I recall Arsenal players getting record fines and suspensions for the handbags at Old Trafford while a week later there was a melee (with actual punches thrown) at a Blackburn(?) game which was quietly ignored. I also seem to recall United having a rather impressive penalties earned/conceeded record at Old Trafford, was it 1 penalty in 10 years?

Next I'm sure we'll be hearing about the London-biased meeja's vendetta against anyone outside of the M25...

• Advertisement

I don't recall Ashley Cole punching anyone in a tunnel. Got a source?

As we're recalling, I recall Arsenal players getting record fines and suspensions for the handbags at Old Trafford while a week later there was a melee (with actual punches thrown) at a Blackburn(?) game which was quietly ignored. I also seem to recall United having a rather impressive penalties earned/conceeded record at Old Trafford, was it 1 penalty in 10 years?

Next I'm sure we'll be hearing about the London-biased meeja's vendetta against anyone outside of the M25...

I have expressed an opinion about Arsenal which has nothing to do with Mancheter United, If you can't discuss the issue on its merit lets leave it as we both know where this thread will end up otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The Muppet wrote:
    I have expressed an opinion about Arsenal which has nothing to do with Mancheter United, If you can't discuss the issue on its merit lets leave it as we both know where this thread will end up otherwise.

It was a valid comparison given your statement wrt Dean.

kaimera wrote:
    It was a valid comparison given your statement wrt Dean.

No it was not, his comment re penalties earned at United was totally off topic and an attempt to divert the issue being discussed which is why are officials so leniant with Lehman.

@Pepe the cole incidenet I referred to was in the England Turkey game , Sol was involved too.

The Muppet wrote:
    No it was not, his comment re penalties earned at United was totally off topic and an attempt to divert the issue being discussed which is why are officials so leniant with Lehman.
    No, it was on topic. I was pointing out that every team gets decisions go their way. You're just paranoid.
    @Pepe the cole incidenet I referred to was in the England Turkey game , Sol was involved too.
    lol hang on, so Ashley Cole getting off scott-free for an alleged punch (I still haven't seen any evidence of this, the BBC photos of the incidence in question don't seem to show anything) in an UEFA-presided England game is evidence of FA bias towards Arsenal? You've outdone yourself Muppet.

lol hang on, so Ashley Cole getting off scott-free for an alleged punch in an UEFA-presided England game is evidence of FA bias towards Arsenal? You've outdone yourself Muppet.

The Incident was investigated by the FA and despite the fact that Cole was plainly seen throwing a punch he escaped punishment. I'm surprised you don't see the relevance.

The Muppet wrote:
    The Incident was investigated by the FA and despite the fact that Cole was plainly seen throwing a punch he escaped punishment. I'm surprised you don't see the relevance.
    UEFA fined the FA £4,500 over this incident. Are they in Dein's pocket too?
    LUNGING PLAYERS

Video pictures of the fracas, broadcast by TV channels in both Turkey and England, were in some ways inconclusive in that they do not show actual punches being thrown.

However they do show England players Emile Heskey, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and David James lunging towards their opponents and arms being raised.
    I had a look at the video, and 'plainly seen throwing a punch' is an unbelieveably inaccurate statement, even by your standards Muppet. It appears you may be the only one to have seen this.

Heskey (Liverpool play at the time IIRC) appears to have started the scuffle, does that mean that Dein is pressuring the FA and UEFA to be lenient on Liverpool too (and Man City for James)?

UEFA fined the FA £4,500 over this incident. Are they in Dein's pocket too?

I wonder how they got all that cash together ?

I had a look at the video, and 'plainly seen throwing a punch' is an unbelieveably inaccurate statement, even by your standards Muppet. It appears you may be the only one to have seen this.

Heskey (Liverpool play at the time IIRC) appears to have started the scuffle, does that mean that Dein is pressuring the FA and UEFA to be lenient on Liverpool too (and Man City for James)?

I saw the incident live on tv as it happened, I dont know where you are viewing it but as you know in todays game incdents can look totally different from differnt camera angles.There is reference to Punches being thrown in the BBC articles on the subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/3198028.stm

It is my opinion that Mr Deins position/infleunce in the FA has a bearing on decisions regarding Arsenal. I don't expect arsenal supporters to agree with me but that does not make me wrong. I'll leave it at that as we are starting to go around in circles.

The Muppet wrote:
    I wonder how they got all that cash together ?
    Perhaps from the rather large fines they hit Arsenal players with for handbags previously?
    I saw the incident live on tv as it happened, I dont know where you are viewing it but as you know in todays game incdents can look totally different from differnt camera angles.There is reference to Punches being thrown in the BBC articles on the subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/3198028.stm
    lol, you're classic muppet. The only reference to a 'punch' in that article is an accusation from a Turkish player, Alpay. He doesn't mention any names either.

I'm viewing it from the BBC article that you posted. Here is the Realmedia link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/39448000/rm/_39448024_football_vi.ram

I find your claim to have watched it live on TV as it happened exceptionally dubious, considering the only video of the incident was captured live by Turkish TV. In essence, we're all watching the same camera angle.
    It is my opinion that Mr Deins position/infleunce in the FA has a bearing on decisions regarding Arsenal. I don't expect arsenal supporters to agree with me but that does not make me wrong. I'll leave it at that as we are starting to go around in circles.
    As per usual you completely ignore any questions put to you. Surprise, surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah im surprised more teams dont deliberately try get him fired up.

It really is quite suprising, United lvoe to do it, Ronaldo in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thank god you've proved him wrong, pepe. always get the same crap from muppet in liverpool-united threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

didnt he throw the ball at some opposition player early in the season or during last season. theres being passionate, then theres being a fool. getting worked up and doing something stoopid in the champions league final would be smrt

and in the the newcastle game he was disgraceful, after a tough challenge on him he raised his leg at an oncoming player and knocked parker out, iirc.

he has improved hugely this season and he is a handy keeper, but germany could have a big problem with him in the WC if he doesnt keep his cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

PHB wrote:
    It really is quite suprising, United lvoe to do it, Ronaldo in particular.

Spurs tried to do it the year after Robbie Keane won that penalty in the last minute off Lehmann when Arsenal won the league. I am very pleased to say the referee left Lehmann's reputation aside and booked a couple of Spurs' players for needless fouls on Lehmann that day. In regards to today's match he did absolutely nothing in the so called 'incident'. He caught the ball, basically got fouled and then walked off. Somebody had a baby over it but far too many people try and use his reputation against him. Having said that... yes, he's a bit of a nut job.

Call_me_al wrote:
    thank god you've proved him wrong, pepe. always get the same crap from muppet in liverpool-united threads.

How did he prove me wrong? There are plenty of references on the net to the Incident I referred to. Just because I do not wish to engage in a tit for tat exchange does not mean my inital point is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

and in the the newcastle game he was disgraceful, after a tough challenge on him he raised his leg at an oncoming player and knocked parker out, iirc.

It was against Bolton at the Reebok. He raised his leg, the crowd went mad, but he was no where near knocking the player out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Roddy23 wrote:
    It was against Bolton at the Reebok. He raised his leg, the crowd went mad, but he was no where near knocking the player out.

it was the newcastle game and he knocked out Parker, Parker tried to play on but was out of it and was taken off a minute later. Seen Parker coming and stuck out his knee to take him out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:
    it was the newcastle game and he knocked out Parker, Parker tried to play on but was out of it and was taken off a minute later. Seen Parker coming and stuck out his knee to take him out of it.
    I think it was his forearm but your point still stands.

i was referring to two seperate incidents, he knocker parker out. then he also raised his leg i thought it was the same game, obviously not. still doesnt excuse the fact he still did it.

The Muppet wrote:
    How did he prove me wrong? There are plenty of references on the net to the Incident I referred to. Just because I do not wish to engage in a tit for tat exchange does not mean my inital point is wrong.
    And yet you still have not provided one, which probably why he thinks you've been proved wrong.

• Advertisement

And yet you still have not provided one, which probably why he thinks you've been proved wrong.

If I cared what he thought I may go looking for a link but as I don't Goggle is his friend. I imagine most of this forum is aware of the incident I am referring to. Unfortunately I no longer have the time or inclination to play games with you so I can't really be bothererd arguing the point any further. I stand over my inital post, if you want to prove it wrong go ahead.

The Muppet wrote:
    If I cared what he thought I may go looking for a link but as I don't Goggle is his friend. I imagine most of this forum is aware of the incident I am referring to. Unfortunately I no longer have the time or inclination to play games with you so I can't really be bothererd arguing the point any further. I stand over my inital post, if you want to prove it wrong go ahead.
    A statement like yours that started this argument cannot be disproved; however it does need to be proved otherwise it is just an unsubstantiated allegation. Considering I've discredited the incredibly weak points you've attempted to make, it still stands as that.

The fact that you refuse to provide any evidence (Google turns up no evidence for me on Ashley Cole in the incident in question, and even if it did, it was a UEFA controlled event and it was started by a then-Liverpool player) suggests not that you don't have the time or the inclination to refute my argument (evidently you had the time and inclination to reply), but that you simply can't.

If you're going to make allegations of bias, you really should try to back them up. Otherwise you just lose credibility (if you have any left to lose), and simply appear paranoid.

A statement like yours that started this argument cannot be disproved;

Why try then?

Just to jog your memory, England Turkey 2004 Melee in the tunnel involving Cole Campbell Heskey and Rooney alledgedly caused by Alpay insulting Mr Beckam and resulting in a number of English player accused of Throwing punches. Anyone watching the match that night saw the incident.

I'm pretty sure Villa fans remember Alpay played for them at the time but got sacked because of this incident.

The article linked earlier cleary states that punches thrown. Both Cole and campbell and Heskey were investigated. No punishement followed which given the subject of this thread was no surprise .

The Muppet wrote:
    Why try then?
    :rolleyes:
    Just to jog your memory, England Turkey 2004 Melee in the tunnel involving Cole Campbell Heskey and Rooney alledgedly caused by Alpay insulting Mr Beckam and resulting in a number of English player accused of Throwing punches. Anyone watching the match that night saw the incident.
    Then why does the video clip that brought the entire incident into the public domain, NOT show any punches thrown?
    The article linked earlier cleary states that punches thrown. Both Cole and campbell and Heskey were investigated. No punishement followed which given the subject of this thread was no surprise .
    As I've already pointed out, it does not. It's hilarious that you continue to claim that it does though!

For anyone too lazy to click the link that The Muppet posted:
    It will involve contacting players such as David Beckham and Emile Heskey.

The pair, along with Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell, were pictured at the centre of the incident, which was captured by a Turkish television cameraman.

It has been claimed Turkish players Alpay and Hasan Sas allegedly provoked the ugly scenes.

But Alpay insists Beckham is to blame, while Turkish Football Federation spokesman Metin Kazacioglu insisted: "Both sets of players were spitting and there were English players trying to punch, it's clear on the video."

The initial signs indicated England players and the FA would not face any charges, although Uefa is studying the report of referee Pierluigi Collina and video footage of the incident.

The FA said Brendon Batson, a former deputy chief executive.
    So UEFA studied the report, and fined the English FA £4,500, and the Turkish FA £12,500. And yet somehow, you still maintain that Ashley Cole clearly threw a punch, despite there apparently being absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever.

Advertisement