Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEEE charge

Options
  • 01-05-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Can somebody straighten this out for me?

I was under the impression that you could bring back any electrical goods that you no longer wanted for recycling FOC. But I was told today that when I bought an additional TV for the house that the €5 charge was for me to bring in a replacement old TV today and not in the future.

So if I don't bring back the old TV now, I still pay the charge. And if I have an electrical appliance at home that I don't want anymore and say don't want to replace that I can't bring it back FOC.

Is this right?

I also bought a VCR/DVD combi a few months back and got charged aswell then, but it was for an extra room in the house and wasn't replacing anything I had. SO are we being touble charged here or do I have it wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

Hello Lex,

Yes they are correct, if you are buying a replacement TV then you are entitled to drop in your old to the shop where you have just made the deal or have them collect the old one if the shop is making a delivery.

If you want to get rid of an old TV further down the line without having to buy a new one then take it to your local recycling centre. They are now obliged by law to accept old electronic goods free of charge. This is where some of your EUR 5.00 charge is going.

Regards,
    Ned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Evergreen wrote:
    Hello Lex,

Yes they are correct, if you are buying a replacement TV then you are entitled to drop in your old to the shop where you have just made the deal or have them collect the old one if the shop is making a delivery.

If you want to get rid of an old TV further down the line without having to buy a new one then take it to your local recycling centre. They are now obliged by law to accept old electronic goods free of charge. This is where some of your EUR 5.00 charge is going.

Regards,
    Ned
    Thanks Ned...does this apply to all goods being returned, even fridges?

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Evergreen wrote:

Ned is correct, shops have to take items back on a like-for-like basis. However, they will still levy the charge on the new item (because the have to) - this is your contribution for the future disposal of this new item.

With regard to the fridges, a shop will take it back if you buy a new one from them, otherwise your local amenity centre will take it for free. Just a note as well: it's not always €5 per item - theres a sliding scale in place depending on the type of equipment, e.g. a (big) TV has a €20 charge, but a pair of headphones has only a €1 charge - more info on Oasis

S.

Advertisement