Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

K&N filter

Options
  • 01-05-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm currently considerin gettin one of these:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-1210

for my '92 golf.

Just wonderin is it worth getting in terms of economy/performance?

Also will it increace the noise of the car when accelerating, as its a free flow filter, like having the air filter off? I don't want to sound like a skanger going around the place. :)

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have one on my Bmw 316i.... Nice Noise comes from it alright... Not loud though.. When i go over 4k revs you can hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

any performance gains will be minimal. Power gains on induction kita are small enough, so even this filter won't make a huge difference. may sound a bit better though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It all depends on the state of tune of your engine. If your engine wasn't getting enough air beforehand, it could improve economy. Odds are, you'll get a minimal improvement in performance and a corresponding drop in economy. The noise shouldn't be that different - you'll probably be the only one to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

If its just like for like shape air filter, than the air intake volume is the same except for a small difference in the air getting through the filter material itself might be better than standard paper filter.
    its not until you change the air intake volume like a cone air filter that you see difference.

I'd save my money and get the engine chipped if i were you. or maybe a sports WAAAA exhaust;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks guys, seems a little pointless getting one so. Its one that just replaces the old filter like for like. Its the round type filter (carb engine) anyway if thats any help. They have another kind that sits on top of the carb completey exposed

http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RA-0550,

anyone know what these are like? They seem a little extreme to me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Anyone got any info on the above, thanks for help so far.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if you're looking for slightly more gains. get an induction kit. these will make more of a difference

Advertisement