Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

protecting my '99 polo

Options
  • 01-05-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just bought a black '99 polo with 43k on the clock for €4,600.

It has all the extras (CD, airbag etc) but doesnt have an alarm.

Should i buy a steering wheel lock to deter scumbags or should i get a wheel clamp or an alarm?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Get an alarm, scumbags only laugh at external steering wheel locks anyway, plus it will draw their attention. The ignition key has a chip in them so no key no start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Congrats on the car, nice cars to drive.

Your car cannot be robbed unless someone has the key as it has an imobiliser, no point in getting an alarm unless you have a fancy radio or like to keep valuables in view in the car. Wheel lock makes no sense unless a slow car thief tries to rob it and is unfamilar with ignition systems in modern cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get a 1.0 badge for it. that'll put most people off!

A wheel clamp is an excellent deterrant. but it's more likely that they'll be after the stereo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IMO the red flashing light of an alarm is a good deterent in most cases. But if you leave something of value on display (stereo or a jacket on the back seat, etc) they will break the glass for it. A junkie looking for an item to sell will not be bothered by an alarm - he's looking for a smash & grab. Alarms go off so frequently these days that most people won't bat an eyelid at a car alarm going off.

If you leave nothing to take then nothing can be taken - if your stereo has a removable panel then remove it - even if you only put it out of sight in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the best way to stop people breaking into your car is to keep it low key. "PIONEER" stickers etc. are just a magnet for thieves,

• Advertisement
Advertisement