Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DVD recorder

• 01-05-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I've had a Liteon 160 gig hdd dvd recorder for nearly a year now and have put up with some of it's quirks (i.e. timer recordings failing and corrupt recordings) but have decided to replace it after losing everything from the hard drive yesterday for no apparent reason. Anyone have any experience of any other decent makes and models?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

We have a Samsung HR720 (80 GB) and an LG RH7800H (160 GB + HDMI). From analogue cable, Samsung recording quality is better - noise reduction works well and it records RGB in where as LG doesn't. LG has a better remote and is in general a little bit easier to use. DivX playback seems to be better on the Samsung but the LG is able to store DivX files on its HD which is handy. Both recorders need to be put into standby for timer recordings. Got the Samsung for €263 inc delivery from Dabs which was a very good price. However new Samsung models are coming out this month so keep an eye out for them.

You can read lots more about recorders on:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Just ordered a BenQ DVD recorder with 250Gb HDD from Komplett, will report how it gets on when I receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

I've got the Samsung HR725 - its got 160 GB HDD, plays DivX / Xvid and has HDMI output which is great.

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Do any of these let you watch something on the hard disc and simultaneously
    record from tv?

sweetie wrote:
    Do any of these let you watch something on the hard disc and simultaneously
    record from tv?

Yep the Samsung can record and play from HDD at the same time

Q

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote:
    Yep the Samsung can record and play from HDD at the same time

Q

Cool. Where did you buy it?

sweetie wrote:
    Cool. Where did you buy it?

I got it from Komplett
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316414

Its fairly pricey though. But it was one of the only players that had Big HDD + DivX compatability and HDMI.

Most of the others have DivX and no HDMI or vice-versa.

If you dont need DivX playback then I think the Panasonic unit would be a good buy for the same money.

Let us know what you decide

Q

quazzy wrote:
    If you dont need DivX playback then I think the Panasonic unit would be a good buy for the same money.
    Q

For the same money where? The only panasonic Komplett have is 400g for 1600 euro! Is HDMI something to do with High Def?

Thanks for your help.

sweetie wrote:
    For the same money where? The only panasonic Komplett have is 400g for 1600 euro! Is HDMI something to do with High Def?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry about that...
    komplett used to have about 6 or 7 models when I bought my Sammy, maybe they are out of stock.

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface-

As the name suggests its the way in which Hi-Def content is transmitted from devices - TV, DVD, new Sky - HiDef Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

sweetie wrote:
    I've had a Liteon 160 gig hdd dvd recorder for nearly a year now and have put up with some of it's quirks (i.e. timer recordings failing and corrupt recordings) but have decided to replace it after losing everything from the hard drive yesterday for no apparent reason. Anyone have any experience of any other decent makes and models?

Why don't you bring it back to the place of purchase and demand a similar spec different brand model?

• Advertisement

scart wrote:
    Why don't you bring it back to the place of purchase and demand a similar spec different brand model?

I am going to do that but Dixons don't have a great range at the moment and
    I've just realised I can't find the box belonging to it. I was hoping to get a
    refund but store credit is the best I can hope for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

sweetie wrote:
    I am going to do that but Dixons don't have a great range at the moment and
    I've just realised I can't find the box belonging to it. I was hoping to get a
    refund but store credit is the best I can hope for now.

From my experience with currys regardless of what they have on display they can usually get any other model you want, if your prepared to wait a number of weeks of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

I have a Pioneer 530 am very impressed with it.. it does an excellent job of Sky+ recordings.. drops a film to disc and finalises it in 7 minutes!!

Got the BenQ from Komplett, 250Gb for 253 yoyos+13 delivery, only does +R and RWs and can't seem to edit out ads but does a great job for the money and lots of hard drive space. Also has UHF/VHF tuner in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Interesting, I was thinking of getting the Benq, what is the picture quality like,
    ie, is there much of a difference to the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Branner, I didnt buy the 530 yet! I was waiting for the new Pioneer range, on advice from Savins, wo said the 440 and 540 would be priced veryreasonably. However on AV forums i read where there are a few omissions on the 440 and maybe 540 (cant remember). No dv in and something about fewer RBG; now Im not very technical but the posters didnt seem very impressed with the new spec, feeling Pioneer had shot themselves in the foot.

Isnt dv the connections you need for a camcorder? If so it weems crazy to omit it; maybe I'll search for a discounted 530!!! Anyone hear anything about the new range?

h

BenQ has good picture quality, tuner is good too but not many editing features such as getting rid of ads unless I haven't read the manual properly yet!! Price is excellent for the specifications too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Cheers, appreciate that.

Looks like Dixons aren't fixing the Liteon so I can choose something else.
    The Toshiba is not available anymore (according to the website) so I might
    try and get the samsung hr734 which currys have. Presume this is an updated
    725 altho the website is not working very well for me.

Advertisement