Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Tax on €20,000 Thread

Options
  • 01-05-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

In this thread which I just noticed,

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054865406

and the poster asked about the tax on €20,000 from self employment compared to being a PAYE employee.

They said that if a persons income from self employment is €20,000 then the tax would be,

€20,000 x 0.20 = €4000
    - € 1,630 (single person tax credit)
    = €2370 TOTAL TAX

But then Seamus said that "a self-employed person can claim back all work-related expenses, and they need only pay income on the remainder (i.e. on their "profit")."

Maybe I've read the thread wrong, but I would have thought that the poster would have meant €20,000 profit from self employment after deducting their expenses? Therefore they can't deduct expenses again from their profit.

I was just wondering if I'm reading the thread correctly?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you are working self employed or as a contract you can claim your reasonable expenses from the gross amount that you or your comapny is paid.

For example, I am a contractor. Lets take a really simple example, say I invoice €1000 in one month and I have €200 in expenses. When the company I have invoiced pays me I write a company check for €200, I then take the rremaining €800 as salary. I will only pay tax on the €800.

A PAYE employee would take the whole €1000 as salary and therefore pay tax on all of it.

MrP

Advertisement