Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A wrinkle in time

• 01-05-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

In anticipation of ep 21 i've been snooping around the net looking for a bit of info on the date it's coming out. I love reading the "coincidences in lost" or "things i've noticed" in lost style articles and posts, as i'm sure most of you guys do.

Most of them are absurd references to the numbers being strenuously linked to bible passages and stellar constellations but i actually came across one that made me second think.

Jollyblogger had this bit on the what book Sawyer was reading in "Numbers."
    He was reading Madeline L'Engle's sci-fi classic, A Wrinkle in Time (1962), about three children who travel through time to rescue a father from an impending evil force. Prior to the 2004 broadcast of the film version on ABC, the 85-year-old L'Engle was interviewed by Newsweek:

Newsweek: "So to you, faith is not a comfort?"

L'Engle: "Good heavens, no. It's a challenge: I dare you to believe in God.
    I dare you to think [our existence] wasn't an accident."

Newsweek: "Many people see faith as anti-intellectual."

L'Engle: "Then they're not very bright. It takes a lot of intellect to have faith, which is why so many people only have religiosity."

I've been toying with two theories, one of the religous faith based (possible purgatory) theory and the scientific, dharma experiment fact based theory, which are represented Locke and Jack.

I liked this quote as I could almost see the writers using this to say that just because the series deals with faith and spirituality (Locke gains the use of his legs, the baby needs to be babtised to be saved), doesn't mean it can't also deal with intelligent fact based logic (US
    the map showing "polar bear experiments" and the like
    )

"You're a man of science Jack, I'm a man of faith"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

failsafe wrote:
    I've been toying with two theories, one of the religous faith based (possible purgatory)
    They have ruled out purgatory
    failsafe wrote:
    the map showing "polar bear experiments" and the like

Why was this in a spoiler? i would be very annoyed if lost was all about experimenting on polar bears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Put a US spoiler tag on the title or remove that Rose comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Crap, sorry, forgot when that was found out. Not a huge giveaway tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No worries mate.

As for the theories. I'm getting tired of reading the same half-brained, off the wall ideas people throw out based on a book a character reads, or one line of dialogue that can be linked to some ancient Egyptian concubine or whatever. I loved that stuff at first but until we see some hard evidence or something major it all remains a mystery. Even if someone comes up with a watertight explaination with loads of evidence to support it, noone can really be sure if it's right or wrong.

Advertisement