Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love in UCD

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

SebtheBum wrote:
    I was in the title role of an Ibsen play once. Samuel Beckett Centre, TCD.
    My character didn't have syphilis though. At least, I hope he didn't. Mind you, he was a cripple, so... Maybe it was as a result of some random STD. I just don't know. I'll leave that question to the English students such as peachy, who are undoubtedly more familiar with Ibsen's obsession with syphilis.

Anyway... This thread has taken a really really really really really ridiculously weird turn...
    Have you checked for syphilis? I thought I had it once, got the lad out for the doctor and everything and he said I was some sort of hypocondriac. So there I am standing with my lad in my hand and a 40 year old doctor on his knees in front of me. Trust me to make and awkward joke right then and there...:o

True Story...

:eek: Double Post N00B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Grimes wrote:
    :eek: Double Post N00B
    Isn't that what the delete button is for? Anyway, what a way to do your 2,500th post:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I thought that Ibsen play was 'A Doll's House'?
    Dr Rank was dying of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Nope, it's Ghosts. Peacheh rocks, once again. Judi Dench (man, I love that woman, she's a scream!) and Kenneth Brannagh were in the film version that the English Department screened in first year. That's where I met Emma-Kate, come to think of it. Seán had dragged her along... maybe it was love in UCD for them, maybe it was just infatuation? I guess we'll never know. [But at least there was some reference to the topic in hand!]

In Ghosts, the son returns home after the father dies, having lived away in Paris(?/ London?/some big city anyway, haven't read it in almost three years!) for years. He falls in love with the maid (who is his half-sister) and dies at the end. The factory burns down the night before he dies, Judi gets really upset and the priest mentions the sins of the father being visited on the children... hence Brannagh's death from syphilis and incestuous lust for his little half-sister. It's quite sad really.

In A Doll's House (which I only read the first act of on a whim about 2 years ago, so it's likewise very rusty) the wife leaves the husband and children. [She seemed a bit messed up and he tried to stop her from eating sugary things, maybe she was diabetic or had HDD or something, you never can tell with old plays. I probably would have left him too, he seemed a bit boring and loved restricting her expenditure. Poo-head.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

...and in the play I was in, the character I played was crippled as a result of a fall in babyhood, when he fell off a table after being left unattended while his parents were totally absorbed in making love.

So there ya go - what I was talking about was (sorta) on-topic!:D :o

SebtheBum wrote:
    ...and in the play I was in, the character I played was crippled as a result of a fall in babyhood, when he fell off a table after being left unattended while his parents were totally absorbed in making love.

So there ya go - what I was talking about was (sorta) on-topic!:D :o

I would have paid so much money to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blush_01 wrote:
    In A Doll's House (which I only read the first act of on a whim about 2 years ago, so it's likewise very rusty) the wife leaves the husband and children. [She seemed a bit messed up and he tried to stop her from eating sugary things, maybe she was diabetic or had HDD or something, you never can tell with old plays. I probably would have left him too, he seemed a bit boring and loved restricting her expenditure. Poo-head.]

Wikipedia says
    Dr Rank in Ibsen's play A Doll's House also has inherited syphilis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I don't think Blush was saying you were wrong exactly. Rather that the play I was referring to did indeed have a character with syphillis.

Ibsen obviously had a bit of a bone for the crotch rot.

*shudder*

In a weird way this thread really does sum up Love in UCD. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ibsen must have really hated sex.

Seriously, all his characters have something bad happen to them directly as a result of l'amor. He's worse than GBS.

• Advertisement

In a weird way this thrad really does sum up Love in UCD. :)

Isnt that how this started? STDs in UCD

Advertisement