Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What small car to buy?

Options
  • 01-05-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy myself a car (probably 1.2 max). I don't like small cars but have no choice because of previous ban. I'm cleared for a car loan that will cover what ever I need to buy but don't know what to get. I'll be going second hand but haven't decided whether it's better to go for something newish or older, I don't mind either way. Although I like the idea of something that holds its value!
    Any thoughts advice on what to buy or to not buy!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Whats your budget?
    What ever I need. I have enough to buy a new car but am also more than happy to buy quite an old car if it's the right one. I've always had old cars and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're after bullet proof residuals go Polo or Yaris, people will say fiesta but even dealers will give in on price on a fiesta where they won't give in on the other 2.

Go for stuff like remote locking, alloys CD player if resale is your main issue. Either will do for comfort and practicality but the VWs are phenominally underspecced at the lower end of the scale

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get a Yaris, and let that be an end to it

€151 annual tax
    low insurance
    top reliability
    4 star safety rating from 99
    high resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote:
    Get a Yaris, and let that be an end to it

€151 annual tax
    low insurance
    top reliability
    4 star safety rating from 99
    high resale value
    or a Honda Jazz....all the others won't hold their value like these 2 or be as reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1.4 Honda Jazz
    1.3 Suszki Swift
    1.2 Opel Corsa

In that order......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

ninty9er wrote:
    If you're after bullet proof residuals go Polo......
    I bought a Polo about a year ago, its a 97, just failed teh NCT twice and had to bring it to McNamara's about the emmissions. They said Polos can be really bad for the emmissions after only a few years and may never pass even with a fair bit of cash spendt on them.
    I'm in a position now where i have to buy again and will be looking out for a Susuki Swift, 5 door, a car i've had before and loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kluivert wrote:
    1.4 Honda Jazz
    1.3 Suszki Swift
    1.2 Opel Corsa

In that order......
    Honda Jazz available in 1.2 also. Go for the Kool version...it has a little bit more equipment for a small bit extra

Thanks for the advice!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 1.2 was only introduced, so prices will be huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Honda Jazz.

Dont touch the 1.2 - the 1.4 is more economical and much more powerful in everyday driving.

Its not a bad car to drive, and very very practical. Just make sure you change the Yokohama A349s if they are still fitted for something else :)

commited wrote:
    Honda Jazz.
    Just make sure you change the Yokohama A349s if they are still fitted for something else :)

What are they? Didn't they drop the bomb on Yokohama?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Sorry - they are the standard fit tyres. They are quite frankly scary in the wet and should be changed for the best tyre you can afford.

Advertisement