Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for moderators

Options
  • 01-05-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Im relatively new to the boards and Im just wondering if Moderators are able to view private messages.

How secure are private messages? Can moderators enable cookies in regard to them?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mods cant see your Private messages, if you want to report one you can forward it to one of them or an Admin. If the other person says they never sent it, the Admins can check that and only check in that case.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vulpiner

Thanks very much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

KdjaC wrote:
    Mods cant see your Private messages, if you want to report one you can forward it to one of them or an Admin. If the other person says they never sent it, the Admins can check that and only check in that case.

kdjac
    What about for the laugh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As KdjaC says, the only people who have access to your PMs are the Site Administrators. These are the people who own the site, so it makes sense that they can access them. They will only have a look though in cases where it's warranted - i.e. reports of abuse PMs, reports of illegal activity, etc. They don't routinely look at your messages :)

In terms of safety, they're about as safe as email. Your PMs can technically be intercepted and recorded, particularly if you're using a proxy server. Account access is also available via cookies, so if you or a recipient leaves themselves logged into a machine, then someone else can come along, read your PMs and/or send PMs from you.

What about for the laugh? :)

Another thing: Do people become Mods solely on post-count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Vulpiner wrote:
    amptest.jpg

Vulpiner wrote:
    No. The line is blurred now. Boards has been around for a while. It's pure coincidence that those with high post counts also tend to be mods.

Actually, it's not a coincidence. You generally become a mod because you appear trustworthy, interested in the forum, and hang around a lot, helping out. Thus, those who tend to post a fair bit, also tend to be made mods at some point. But just spamming won't get you made mod.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most the people with high post counts would have been here near the start so that is why Vulipner. They appear trustworthy etc. seamus is right, spamming doesn't get you made mod...that gets you the Hmod position. :P

People tend to be made mod these days when they know a great deal about the topic of the new forum being set up or are at least very interested in it, along with being decent enough posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do people become Mods solely on post-count?

*demands shiny badge*

I know Im driving you all mad now but how did TheBiggestC--t escape from prison/banning just now?

• Advertisement

Vulpiner wrote:
    I know Im driving you all mad now but how did TheBiggestC--t escape from prison/banning just now?
    Short answer is...he didn't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

While we're having a Q&A session (I know, I know I should know this by now) bhat are Smods Hmods, etc? Which "outranks" which?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

SMod, CatMod, Mod, CMod, HMod..

I think. Last two could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought all the cmods were extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

vBulletin 3 does not allow Admins to read or view private messages, unless a hack is installed. It does however let an admin know how many PMs a user has in their inbox
    Even if certain things went to extremes, cloud would have to trail through the database to get a certain PM, and with boards this big im sure its not a job he would like to do.

There are hacks out there for admins to view PM's, but if it was a Spam issue a report PM hack would be the order of the day.

Whats a catmod and a cmod?

I thought all the cmods were extinct.

Indeed..all bar sceptre it seems :v:

Wiley youngster that he is.

CatMod is over a category eg. Amp is over the Games and all the fora that are under Games.

Cmod were community mods...now extinct it appears.

A catmod looks after a whole category... eg sports, rec, games etc.

a cmod is a community mod... but I don't think they are around anymore.

On the topic of PM's...the private is wrt just the means of transmission, not the content. Just be careful of what you say to who just in case it ends up plastered all over the web somewhere.

What is a "community" in the boards sense? I get catagory now.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    On the topic of PM's...the private is wrt just the means of transmission, not the content. Just be careful of what you say to who just in case it ends up plastered all over the web somewhere.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

http://boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Mod

Wiki ftw...tho nothing about CMods.

woops!

HMod = new Cmod.

http://boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Community_moderator

kaimera wrote:
    http://boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Mod

Wiki ftw...tho nothing about CMods.

woops!

HMod = new Cmod.

http://boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Community_moderator

It says there in the link that the mods can see what youve deleted? Thus, theyre able to see your pms?

Only posts.
    A forum moderator can see posts deleted by you

As been said, admins are the only ones to see yer pms if necessary.

What have you done anyway? ;)

kaimera wrote:
    Only posts.

As been said, admins are the only ones to see yer pms if necessary.

What have you done anyway? ;)

This "if necessary" bothers me. I suppose privacy is an issue no matter what medium you use. Whats to stop some mod voyeuring?

As regards your question, mother is buried in the cellar.:D

kaimera wrote:
    To clarify... it has happend in the past that the recipient of a PM might post up the contents of that PM on a public forum. It's happened in the past and it's generally frowned upon... so just be careful who you are sending a PM to.

But it's not different to a letter, email or phone call in this respect.

Vulpiner wrote:
    This "if necessary" bothers me. I suppose privacy is an issue no matter what medium you use. Whats to stop some mod voyeuring?

Once more, mods cannot see your PM's.

Only the admins/owners of the site can. Like you said, privacy is an issue but I don't think there has been a case of admins browsing PM's for ****s and giggles. [maybe ecksor..but that may be unfounded :):p]

The Admins have better things to be doing than reading your PMs. Ever gone through someone else's email? It's dull.

As owners of the site (and therefore, all of the data on it), they have a right to read your PMs if they so require anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Vulpiner wrote:

They don't look at PMs. But as others have said, mods cannot look at PMs, and the admins really wouldn't be bothered (and they're a trustworthy bunch).
    The only times I've known about that they've checked PMs is when someone was reported for something bad. Like if you decide to send monkeyfudge here a message and say "I'm going to slice you up and eat your monkey for dinner you sonofabitch" (and mean it). He feels threatened, reports it to the admins, and they look into it (and would probably ban you).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You are more at risk of the person you have pmed disclosing the pm or forwarding it on then the admins exposing it.

Advertisement