Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i getting ripped off ???

• 01-05-2006 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, i got bb installed back in oct 05 and it was always a bit slow. the company are lat mile wireless in athlone www.lastmile.ie . i think its pretty expensive for the package a 512 download and a 128 up load for 35 euro a month, the problem lately is my download speed, my transfer rate is between 15 kbps and 20 kbps when i go to download this file www.url.ie/qv/ :mad: what should my transfer be :confused: i know it should be a lot better than this. what would you do if you where in my shoes :confused: its the only bb connection i can get so im between a rock ad a hard place :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

55 down and 15 up should be your speed. You may be a large distance from the exchange or have old phone line installed. Terms and Conditions may also state that its not 512 gauranteed.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

but its wireless bb, the only thing i can think of is the leaves on the trees are growing could that weaking the signal ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pm. wrote:
    the only thing i can think of is the leaves on the trees are growing could that weaking the signal ??

absolutely but the same leaves should have been as bad in october seeing as they normally fall in november, can you see trees ? , what are your signal levels ? and what does tech support say ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I get 345kbs speed on NTL 3meg so I guess on a 512 line I'd expect 57kbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Just a note for you guys posting the bit rates - B=bytes, b=bits - please make the distinction!

Last Mile does a 512Kb down/128Kb up for €40 all in, not €35. Its crap, as I am on it. Read about my experience of them. I think they are a bit of a joke with their service, and are really out to take advantage of the areas that do not have hardline (phoneline) broadband.

I would not recommend Last Mile's services to anyone, unless they were absolutely stuck for a connection. Saying that, BB has arrived almost 5 months earlier than expected in my area, so one may not have to wait that long for the phone line service to be put in place. But I am forced to stay with Last Mile, as they claim its a years contract, until October.

Connections drop weekely sometimes too.

Also, to answer your question pm., I'd say yes, you are being ripped off somehow.

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If your connection is dropping out altogether then they are in breach of contract and your contract is disolved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pm. wrote:
    i think its pretty expensive for the package a 512 download and a 128 up load for 35 euro a month, the problem lately is my download speed, my transfer rate is between 15 kbps and 20 kbps
    What's the contention ratio on that product. There doesn't seem to be any mention of it on their (really crap) website. If it's 24:1, then your minimum would be 21.3kbps. You're below this at 15kbps so they are in breach of the contract. There may be provisions in the contract for this where by they could credit you for the down time, or you may be able to terminate the contract without penalty.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    absolutely but the same leaves should have been as bad in october seeing as they normally fall in november, can you see trees ? , what are your signal levels ? and what does tech support say ???

yes i can see the trees tbh i had to cut down a tree to get a better signal. i dont know how to check my signal level all i have is a green light on a box. i rang them today and they said they will have someone check it out ( i wont hold my breath ) in my opion they dont really have a clue :mad: and every now and then about once every 8 to 10 days i cant connect at all. as i said im between a rock and a hard place, since i got bb i have played css and think its a really cool game. they are the only company that offer bb in my aera:( , my modmen speed is 14.4 kbps :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

The contention ratio with Last Mile on their domestic package is 38 to 1...

Seanie M wrote:
    The contention ratio with Last Mile on their domestic package is 38 to 1...

they told me today that it is 40 to 1, im still cant get an answer from last mile :mad: :mad: :mad: i have rang then every day and the fella that looks after connections is on the road or on a day off or in the toilet, what a total joke of a company, dont go with last mile unless you really have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pm. wrote:
    the fella that looks after connections is on the road

this is normal for many small operators, they are out there building a network and sorting connections out for people . If they were sitting in the office answering the phones then they would not be building the network and sorting connections would they :D eircom willsit in their office and tell you they have no plans to provide BB in your ...rural I'll wager.. area. But fair play to eircom they answer the phone so that they can tell you to piss off.

I would recommend that they make use of call forwarding in these cases :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Building a network is no excuse for poor customer service. I've sent them umpteen emails regarding a new site in Ballybrittas but have never once received a reply. Their phone answering abilites are not much better.

Unfortunately, even though I'm only 2KM from an enabled exchange (but I'm not on it) , they are my only option for broadband. Other than satellite, but lets not go there.

Advertisement