Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing a shared internet connection

Options
  • 02-05-2006 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I am in a student accomodation estate with about 15 houses. We have a shared 3mb eircom connection between us all. As you can imagine the internet can get a bit slow if a lot of people are on at the same time but recently it has been a joke!

I have the username and password for the router so I can login to the router settings if I need to, the router is a Netgeat DG834.

I want to do 2 things.

1. I want to find out who is hogging the internet connection. My guess is that it's 1 or maybe 2 people downloading warez 24/7. I have blocked the major P2P ports but it hasn't made a difference.

2. If possible I would like to balance the traffic in a fairer way. At the moment, there is nothing stopping somebody hogging all the bandwidth.

I'm hoping somebody can help.

Comments

Advertisement