Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Player Of All Time?

• 02-05-2006 2:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Who do you guys think is top of the stack, i really have no clue on this but seeing as "Babe Ruth" is a hosehold name that even I know I'd say him, I know of Joe DiMaggio too but through Monroe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Very difficult to make a comparison between all of the different eras of the game, but given that Ruth was one of the greatest hitters AND pitchers of all time, he has to get my overall vote.
    If you want to know about the history of the game, get 'Baseball' A 10 dvd documentary by Ken Burns. It's brilliant!

I would have to go with babe ruth as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Some of the better modern players are Derek Jeter, Derrek Lee, Barry Bonds, (hitters) and Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens (pitchers) amongst many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Mike Piazza is possibly the best catcher of all time. I was at his retirment game last year he will be sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Post steroids or pre steroids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

jjbrien wrote:
    Mike Piazza is possibly the best catcher of all time. I was at his retirment game last year he will be sadly missed.

Ah, he's actually still playing, everyday with San Diego !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

That bloody trator. He was supposed to retire after last season. I cant belive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Personally, I think Joe DiMaggio was possibly the greatest player ever. He was an amazing hitter, fielder, and was consistenly far above average. In his shorter than average career, he surpassed countless numbers of players in all aspects of the game. Anybody agree with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bullensroad

I used to hear my dad talk about Pete Rose and the Cinncinatti Reds of the 70s he was suppose to be one mean son of a gun and he could fairly hit the ball. My uncle told me that there was this hotshot of a catcher just drafted by one of the top teams and he was suppose to be it. Well Rose was sprinting for the plate and totally clobbered him i think he had to go to hospital he said the catcher was useless after that he lost his bottle. Its a hard question to answer there have been so many greats Reggie Jackson wasnt bad Ted Williams for the Sox was good i am told. Its opinions really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Personally, I'm voting for Superman

supball10.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement