Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be careful on the LAN!

Options
  • 02-05-2006 9:15am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Look what appeared on /. (Slashdot) this morning:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060430-6702.html

I sure as hell hope computer services don't lie down under IRMA when those miserable mercenaries come a knocking. I think also that anyone in UCD reporting stuff to IRMA should be ashamed of themselves, as they're allowing unauthorised people inside our network by proxy.

Anyone think that myTunes-using visitors to the Quinn school should be scared?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The article refers to the US but I know for a fact that IRMA did get involved in sending letters to Irish colleges regarding illegal file sharing as far back as 1999(if not before)
    I think its in the terms of most college IT policies now that you are not permitted to do any fileharing of copyrighted materials and most college IT depts take a dim view of it. Admittitly, they may not have time to police this but if IRMA "Come knocking" they will clamp down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

AFAIK, UCD Netsoc got a letter from IRMA about 2 years ago with regard to people hosting mp3 files on their netsoc webspace. So Netsoc removed all mp3 files and placed an upload filter on such files.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I believe they used to run a socks proxy too but had to stop.

Yep tis true..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think computing services should go back to requiring laptops be registered to log on to the WLAN. At least then the IRMA types in dark coats couldn't just pull up in the carpark...

I suppose there's little than can be done if a few people in a room set up an adhoc wired or wireless?

• Advertisement

It sort of defeats the point(ad hoc thing), if laptops need to be registered they prob could just subpoena the college records, they all those filthy thieves would be up the creek!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Red_alert,
    I dont think computer services have a choice if IRMA come to them with a court order asking to find all the MP3's on the UCD networks....
    IRMA dont just come along and connect to UCD's networks without cause....
    I dont think IRMA work in dark coats. If you want to share copyrighted material you would be better advised not to do it using either corporate or educational institutions, computer/networking resources. It is against IT policy to do this and you could end up in a lot of trouble, either with the college or IRMA.
    Kippy

Would they make an announcement that they had received such a directive, or just turn up beside you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

they swing in through the windows dressed in ninja suits, humbert.

As I feared:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kippy wrote:
    I dont think computer services have a choice if IRMA come to them with a court order asking to find all the MP3's on the UCD networks....
    They couldn't really. IRMA would need significant proof that those MP3's already exist (and "They're students for God's sake" wouldn't work in court ;)). Even then, IRMA would have to produce a list of the files which exist on the network and demand they be deleted. IRMA cannot demand that UCD "audit" their own network. That's like the Gardai demanding that you search your own house and tell them if you find anything illegal.

In general, these companies assume that such activities are taking place by tracking IPs on the big filesharing networks, or by connecting to the networks themselves (Going in with a laptop, for example), and simply scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

kippy wrote:
    Actually I would wonder about that. I know there are several lecturers who use itunes, and leave all their music for anyone to share. The college may not do much about the students sharing music, but I can't see them liking the fact that lecturers do it aswell.

I doubt it's illegal to share with iTunes, it's legal software, I'd be under the impression it's the downloading using ourTunes etc, that's breaking the law because you then own something you didn't pay for, which I have to admit sounds ideal to me, crazy world!

yea sharing is ok. Using Ourtunes or myTunes is a no no. Cos you are actually copying the music then. With itunes you are merely streaming it.

I don't see why it would be any different with itunes, if you are sharing it from someone who did pay for it but you didn't pay for it yourself, then it's still illegal.
    [edit] It's far too easy though to capture it when it's streaming. I have no idea what the IRMA says about that though.

If you share with iTunes you don't end up with a copy for yourself.

Capturing the stream and downloading are just about the same thing, unless you're planning on downloading it at realtime to confuse them:)

humbert wrote:
    If you share with iTunes you don't end up with a copy for yourself.
    You do if you know how;)

The programs for it are perfectly legal aswell

the software might be but what you do with them isn't. Bittorrent clients are not illegal. But sharing or downloading copyrighted material with them is.

My main problem with capturing the stream is that it would be rather slow, and illegal of course:o

Advertisement