Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker question

• 02-05-2006 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please see if the rule relating to foul and play again is worded correctly and is actually right. Rule 13 below, the play again rule. It looks wrong

http://www.worldsnooker.com/about_the_rules.htm

Also if I was playing and was say 67 behind with 67 left on the table and my opponent potted a red, leaving then 59 left. But whilst potting the red he went in off, does that mean there is still only 59 left, or do I get a free ball counting as my extra red.o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

walshb wrote:
    Can someone please see if the rule relating to foul and play again is worded correctly and is actually right. Rule 13 below, the play again rule. It looks wrong

http://www.worldsnooker.com/about_the_rules.htm

Also if I was playing and was say 67 behind with 67 left on the table and my opponent potted a red, leaving then 59 left. But whilst potting the red he went in off, does that mean there is still only 59 left, or do I get a free ball counting as my extra red.o

That rule seems to be worded correctly. As for your second point, in the scenario you mention, you would only have a free ball if you were unable to hit both sides of all of the remaining reds. You would then be 63 behind with 59 remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But when he/she went in off while potting the red means that they have not only fouled, but they have left you also needing a snooker. How can the offender gain from a foul in snooker.

Here is he text I think is worded incorrectly:

13. Play Again
    Once a player has requested an opponent to play again after a foul, such request cannot be withdrawn. The offended, having been asked to play again, is entitled to
    (a) change his mind as to
    (i) which stroke he will play, and
    (ii) which ball on he will attempt to hit.
    (b) score points for any ball or balls he may pot.

Should the word offended not be offender?....he/she being the person who committed the foul.

walshb wrote:
    But when he/she went in off while potting the red means that they have not only fouled, but they have left you also needing a snooker. How can the offender gain from a foul in snooker.

Good point. You are right, it does seem unfair but its just one of those things.

Edit.... Yes, a typo. I hadn't noticed that. Did you have something similar happen to you ?

No nothing like that happened. I was just watching bits last night and wondered on it. It doesn't seem right, are you 100% sure. Thanks for the input by the way

• Advertisement

Yes. The only way you can get a free ball is from a foul snooker.

Advertisement