Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a regular wireless router to share a dsl connection

• 02-05-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i have a dlink DI-524 wireless d/g router. now i just got in broadband. i wanted to broadcast this around the house, but the line from the broadband box on the wall has a little connection, its not a cat 5 cable and not as big as a cat 5 connector. im assuming this is a DSL connector. is there anyway i can adapt my wireless router to accept this connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How do you connect your broadband modem to your computer at the moment? There are only two connection types available as far as I know, USB or Ethernet.

What exactly is the "box on the wall"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Are you by any chance talking about the RJ11 phone connector , that is the filtered phone point for adsl !!

If you got broadband then you must have got a modem as well , an adsl one right ?

That connects to the wall point using the RJ11 connector , and then the modem connects to the router via Ethernet or USB connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just had a look at your router from this link ,

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316#

Just on the offchance , one of the things that catches a lot of people out is the fact that not all broadband modems are routers also , and not all routers have a broadband modem built in , a lot do , but a lot dont.

Yours doesn't , did you by any chance order broadband and tell the people you ordered it off that you already had equipment ?

In which case you need to re-contact them and tell them you made a mistake, and you will need a broadband modem after all.

Advertisement