Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a cordless Drill

Options
  • 02-05-2006 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Broke my cordless drill yesterday

twas a draper expert chd12 decent enough, until the damm thing died yesterday. i think the clutch broke cos the motor is turning, but the chuck ain't

thing is well out of warranty now anyway.

so i need a replacement.

I want something reasonably powerful, for screwing and drilling, hammer action is an occasional bonus, but i have a proper drill for that, i'd say i only used the hammer on the draper twice in two+ years.

I have used a friends dewalt, and it's an animal of a machine, not sure of the spec/model, i just used it away, but they do tend to be shockingly expensive.

I'd spend up to 200 euro, and it has to have 2 batteries and preferably be available online, cos I need it soon and don't have many decent tool shops in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Go into Heatmerchants in cork they do dewalt drills very reasonably, I priced a 12v dewalt with 2 batteries for 130 inc Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

DeWalt all the way. Try and spend the extra few quid and get a 14.4 volt with hammer action. I've had three of these over ten years and never had a problem (with long-term commercial use)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I've been looking online for ****s and giggles.

can get a factory recon 18v dewalt xrp with hammer action + 2 batteries and a 110v charger (not the end of the world, i have a 110 box anyway for other gear) from maxtool.com for 228 euro or from maxtool.co.uk for 276 euro

I'm wondering what the duty rate would be on these, i assume it accounts for the 48 euro difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Sorry for the original post ,what a plonker I am for doing that

I work with a guy who has the full dewalt set up ,and he says he would never go with it again.
    He bought a battery a couple of months back and said it was 140 euro or something.

Be careful when buying professional stuff that you don't get stuck when you need new parts.
    I always thought atlas copco was a good make ,now they are milwaukee.
    Dewalt stuff can get very loose in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i'm torn between the first one on this page

http://tinyurl.com/nrtrw

and

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/product-Bosch-GSR-18VE2-Heavy-Duty-Cordless-Drill-Driver-18V-20049.htm

the blue bosch is good stuff, have a blue bosch corded drill, will be picking up a grinder of theres soon enough too.

so it's a tossup between new blue bosch in 3-5 days or recon dewalt with hammer action but 110v in probably 2-3 weeks for probably €50 less cash outlay.

talked to the guy who's dewalt i was using the other day, "only a twelve volt, and sure that thing's ****ed" I'd like to have seen it new in that case cos twas an impressive machine, and especially for 12v

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've had an Elu for ten years now which does a good job - has hammer action as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Be aware that when the batteries go they are usually the same price as a new drill. So expect after 2-3yrs you'll need to replace the whole thing. At least thats been my experience.

parsi -10yrs wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I have a Black & Decker 18v Firestorm 1.7ah, Around 160euro for any of the big stores.....Atlantic B&Q etc.
    Two batteries + 1 hr charger. I think its a very good drill, powerful with hammer and the batteries last well. You could get a few extra batteries at 40euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Where do you ge the extra batteries for €40ea. That seems very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I picked up a Ryboi set for € 195 before Christmas. It had two 18V cordless drills, one with hammer action, two batteries,and the shop threw in a third
    battery for free. The shop was moving though, so the prices may have been discounted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'll second the Ryobi - bought mine off the web and its going great, a very decent balance between a better than DIY cordless and the high cost of a top-end trade tool.

Advertisement