Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating oil getting into mains water

• 02-05-2006 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

the central heating had a slight leak for a few weeks nearly a year ago, thats all sorted, but now when i fill glasses with the cold tap in the kitchen its fine for the first glass, second and third glass smells and tastes of heating oil then its fine after that,the boiler is about 10 feet from the sink

do you think its possibal for the oil to seep into the underground pipes?

any suggestions on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

What part of the country are you in. The supply in north east Co. Roscommon was contaminated with diesel a few months ago. Is it possible that it is the supply that is contaminated as the kitchen tap is normally fed directly from the mains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

in meath, but problem is only in my house, neighbours are fine, and the back kitchen has mains water and its grand.

i think my best bet is too split the pipe into the ballvalve in the attic, and fit a t piece, then drop a pipe down the back of the kitchen units and just cap off the original pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

I presume that you have checked that there is no oil film on top of your water storage tank. Does the whole system need to be flushed ? Also good idea anyway of having clean water not stored water in the kitchen tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

House insurance normally covers discovery of an oil leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

mukki wrote:
    the central heating had a slight leak for a few weeks nearly a year ago, thats all sorted, but now when i fill glasses with the cold tap in the kitchen its fine for the first glass, second and third glass smells and tastes of heating oil then its fine after that,the boiler is about 10 feet from the sink

do you think its possibal for the oil to seep into the underground pipes?

any suggestions on what to do?
    If you are talking about mains water - there is no way it should be happening. If it is not directly from the mains - you should not be drinking it.
    You should find where the mains comes into the house and check all pipes and connections from there in.
    It is very unusual. Could the mains pipe have been damagedwhen the oil leak was being fixed ? Are the pipes close to each other ?
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

JamesM wrote:
    If you are talking about mains water - there is no way it should be happening. If it is not directly from the mains - you should not be drinking it.
    You should find where the mains comes into the house and check all pipes and connections from there in.
    It is very unusual. Could the mains pipe have been damagedwhen the oil leak was being fixed ? Are the pipes close to each other ?
    Jim.

its mains water into the kitchen, back kitchen, small jacks and the tank upstairs, only the kitchen cold tap has this problem, tank in the attic feeds the other jacks and the shower which are fine

I can't inspect pipes becuase all the water pipes are under the concrete. the oil lines were only put in a few years ago and are all above ground, and not leaking anymore

the mains pressure is very very high here, so if its a damaged water pipe we would have a shore, i am thinking the pipe for the kitchens water might pass under the conctrete under the boiler (which still smells some day), and might be a plastic hose sitting in fuel soaked concrete, would the taste and smell pass through it into the water overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

mukki wrote:
    the mains pressure is very very high here, so if its a damaged water pipe we would have a shore, i am thinking the pipe for the kitchens water might pass under the conctrete under the boiler (which still smells some day), and might be a plastic hose sitting in fuel soaked concrete, would the taste and smell pass through it into the water overnight
    Without being an expert, I would say impossible.
    But then - maybe an expert will come along :confused:

Advertisement