Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head gasket gone...

Options
  • 02-05-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hey my sisters car started overheating yesterday, apparently its the head gasket. You guessed it...it's a Punto, so it was bound to happen sometime.

It's still under guarantee from the dealer but he's in Galway (we're in Meath). I was just wondering is it ok to drive it on the open road when there's plenty of airflow and make it to Galway?

Also, how much would it normally cost to get it done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

It really depends... is the car still running? if so make sure she doesn't drive it, my mother just got the head gasket done on her punto they said it would cost around 200 but end up costing 600 because the gasket had to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

I wouldn't drive it... plus I doubt you'll be able to get far in it. Once the engine starts overheating the water in the rad will soon start to boil and once that happens the pressure will eventually have to be realised one way or the other!! You'll end up with more damage in the end. Best bet is to get garage to pick it up, if its still under warranty they should so it... or else just get a recovery truck to bring it down. Got my car brought from Dublin to garage in Mayo over a year ago and cost about 100 euro I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

The car is still running, yes. It was just overheating in city driving yesterday.

I suppose it's best to get onto the dealer. It will be a bummer if it had to be done here and we can't avail of the guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

i wouldnt drive it. id contact the dealer, they should have to pay for it to be transported back or else fixed nearby if its still under guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's probably OK to drive to Galway if you keep the heater on full blast and leave all the windows open and keep the speed around 45-50 mph in 5th. Also bring plenty of water with you and stop to check the coolant level regulalry. Top up if necessary with a little water. Don't get into a situation where you have to "top it up" by pouring a couple of litres of cold water into a hot engine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

You might risk cracking the cylinder head by driving anymore and that will cost you a lot more money.

Advertisement