Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food/drink do you crave from your travels?

• 02-05-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Is there any food or drink that you tasted while travelling that you cannot get here in Ireland that you crave every now and then?

I miss Starbucks Hot Apple Cider (Ithink that it was Starbucks anyway - correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't drink tea, tolerate herbal tea and drink a minimal amount of coffee but discovered hot apple cider when I was in the U.S. We were on a road trip to Ohio from Philadelphia and stopped at a service station when I got my first taste.

I think it is juice made from cider apples heated up. I've never come close to tasting anything else like it since I came home. It was yummy.

Just wondering if there are any other nostalgic nutters around about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Still crave the amazing Mexican buffet breakfast I had in a hotel in Monterrey, Mexico. Mexican food just doesn't be the same here - but it will have to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I miss so many things. (I'm a Scot in Greece)

I miss great curries from Indian restaurants, with the little bowls of chutney, the poppadoms, naan bread and great tasting curry.

I miss black pudding, potato scones, irn bru, breakfast rolls with the soft bread, Mothers Pride bread sometimes, nice bacon, proper Guinness and a certain red beer from Dublin that I can't remember the name off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Beer Laos from Laos without a doubt. No beer comes close to this lovely stuff
    beer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Shrimp Croquettes in Brussels,(Brutal city but I would nearly go back for thes alone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A dish from Singapore called 'Mee Rebus'.

Mee Rebus
    A true marriage between Chinese and Malay kitchen. Egg noodles with fried tofu, shallots, beansprouts, egg and green chilles topped with a rich shrimp sauce of Malay mixed spices and Chinese bean paste thickened with sweet potatoes! Perfect!!

meerebus2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

From England I miss Twiglets & damn all else.

However, these are the things I miss most about Dusseldorf. (Worth checking out if you are ever there...)
    • Schweinebrotchen (a bread roll filled with slices of roast pork & onions) from Ham Ham on Kurzestrasse.
    • Schweinehaxe (whole spit-roasted pork knuckle served on the bone with mashed spuds & saurkraut) from Schweine Janes on Bolkerstrasse.
    • Any kebab from Envar's turkish kebab shop near Sutton's Irish Bar.
    • Jever pils & krumme (cherry liqueur) in Liebevoll on Belsenplatz.
    • Samtkragen (kick-ass shot) in Discovery Bar on Luisenstrasse.
    • Gluhwein (mulled wine) on the Niklausmarkt.
    • Heisse backfisch (similar to pollock) in a beer & herb batter on the Niklausmarkt.
    • Reibekuchen (potato pancakes) with apple sauce on the Niklausmarkt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wintergreen Icebreakers from the States. And good Okonomiyaki from Japan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

proper tortilla di patatas from spain
    siroopwafels from the netherlands
    thuringers from luxembourg (lovely thick sausage, mmmmmmmmm)

i always miss rasa when i leave cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

French bread and confectionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I miss Irish Breakfast rolls. The ones in England, pale in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love pork scratchings and buy tonnes of bags any time I'm in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Outdoor food from Japan: squid on a stick, roasted chestnuts, roast sweet potato, yakatori. Mmmm.

And Japanese ice cream - green tea flavour, chestnut flavour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ice cold restsina served with Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers that taste lnothing like they do here. Cheese Saganaki and Symi Shrimp.

Roll on June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Proper, fresh calamari. I've yet to have it perfectly fresh or properly cooked in Ireland, and they never do the tentacles, which are the best part. Also, proper Greek frappés. None of this sugary creamy rubbish we get over here. Also, Turkish Coffee and tea and Greek tomatoes.

Tazz, if you're in Athens give me a shout and we can have the first ever Boards Beer in Greece. (Bords Byra Ellada Ena)

Shab: a Greek frappe is just Nescafe, sugar and milk. The trick is in the creation - start with a little coffee, sugar and a little water then (with a handheld device) mix until all frothy, then add water and keep mixing, adding water, keeping mixing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just missed me, Gordon. I was there for Greek Independence Day.

Taking the missus and the little 'un at the start of June. Don't know if we'll be stopping off in Athens - might go straight to the islands from one of those new Malev flights or fly straight to Crete. Waiting to see if we can get a deal.

But if we spend a day or two in Athens, I'll give ya a shout.

Just thought of another one Whole Sea Bream marinated in lemon, olive oil and rigani done on a charcoal grill.

Kail Orexi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Brik from Tunisia

Pain au Chocolate from France, actually any French patisserie!!!

Pinchos & Txakoli form the Basque Country

Home fries from the USA

Souvlaki from Greece

Ulster Fry from Norn' Iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Gordon wrote:
    Shab: a Greek frappe is just Nescafe, sugar and milk. The trick is in the creation - start with a little coffee, sugar and a little water then (with a handheld device) mix until all frothy, then add water and keep mixing, adding water, keeping mixing etc.

But I can't find any of the little handheld whisky things over here! Also, I like mine black, with a few ice cubes. *yum*

Send me your address and I'll post you a cheapy one. Can't do the same for the souvlakis though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Falafels from those street stalls in Amsterdam. After a night on the town, nothing can beat one or two of these !!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Hmmmm let me see...

From Denmark I miss their hot dogs that they do on the street, so tasty, especially the French Polser (there should be a slash through that o but I can never remember how to do that) which has French Dressing in it which may sound weird but is just gorgeous!!

I also miss proper Danish pastries or Viennerbrod, they just don't compare here at all.

Sometimes I miss the stews that I had while travelling in Tanzania, the taste and the randomness of the way the meat was cut up. They were yummy.

I also agree with Shabadu about calamari, the nicest I ever had was in Spain. It's just not the same over here. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Krispy Kreme doughnuts & papa johns pizza from the US.
    Pizza from rome was also beautiful!!

Advertisement