Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

whitish stuff under oil cap

Options
  • 02-05-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've read here before that if you notice any white or yellow scum underneath your oil cap that it's a sign the head gasket's in trouble. Topping up the oil at the weekend I noticed there was indeed a small build-up of white stuff under the oil cap. My girlfriend's father noticed it and said "you may be looking at getting a new car" and mentioned the back burner may be gone.

Does this indeed indicate a head gasket problem or is it just condensation?
    If I act now can I get it fixed and if so for how much?

The car's a 99 Hyundai with 87k on the clock. She's a good car and I was hoping to keep her for a few years yet. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could simply be condensation - especially if the car only does short runs. Dip the oil - if it has the white scum then you may be in a bit of trouble. Does the coolant level drop regularly? When the engine is hot is the exhaust 'steamy'?

No idea what a back burner is on a Hyundai - or any other car?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    No idea what a back burner is on a Hyundai - or any other car?

Isn't it what heats the water for he bath? :)

Stekelly wrote:
    Isn't it what heats the water for he bath? :)
    Nope - thats a back boiler AFAIK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

The oil was just low and no white stuff on dipper. A little smoke coming from place you put in the oil. Took a full quart of oil. Been full since. Still coolant in the tank so no sign of leakage. Can't say I do many short runs, mind you the morning I checked it I had done a short run alright. The car drives fine and temperature never rises above half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've read here before that if you notice any white or yellow scum underneath your oil cap that it's a sign the head gasket's in trouble. Topping up the oil at the weekend I noticed there was indeed a small build-up of white stuff under the oil cap. My girlfriend's father noticed it and said "you may be looking at getting a new car" and mentioned the back burner may be gone.
    This question is asked so often that it should be made into a sticky.
    a) 99% of the time when you see white or yellow mayonaisse under the filler cap, it's due to condensation and the head gasket is fine
    b) if your HG was gone you would likely notice other symptoms (eg the car overheating or using coolant)
    c) your g/fs da sounds like he hasn't got a clue

• Advertisement

A little smoke coming from place you put in the oil.
    I'd be inclined to think it may just be condensation. Clean it off and see if it reappears. Keep an eye on the oil level/quality and coolant level/temp for a while until your confident that all is well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would imagine that it is condensation - take the car for a good decent run (>50kms)

BrianD3 wrote:
    c) your g/fs da sounds like he hasn't got a clue
    Or else he's pulling your leg!!!

Thanks guys, will assume its condensation for now. Will probably ring mechanic (he can be trusted) over the next fortnight. Had it serviced about three months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gearoidf

Im experiencing overheating with my car as well, starlet. Looks like oil in the coolant. It just started happening yesterday. Is this a sign of the head gasket going? Anyone know of any good mechanics in Cork who might fix this for a reasonable price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

The oil was just low and no white stuff on dipper. A little smoke coming from place you put in the oil. Took a full quart of oil. Been full since.

A little smoke? How long did you leave for the engine to cool and the oil to drain before dipping?

Pretty much straight away. Why, how long should I have left it?

Pretty much straight away. Why, how long should I have left it?
    ~10 minutes
    When you stop the engine there is oil all around the engine. This will flow back to the sump over a few minutes. If you read the dipstick straight away you get a low reading as oil is all round the engine.
    Check your engine oil level - it may be too full, which can also cause damage.

Just checked oil and its only about a milimetre or two over 'full'. Is that over enough to be concerned about?

I reckon it should be fine.

Cool, she's been driving fine all week. I'll just make sure to keep an eye on the oil level (when the engine's cooled of course). Jake

Advertisement