Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moshing = Assault???

• 02-05-2006 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I heard a rumour about this. Apparrently you can now be arrested for moshing as it is considered physical assault. Anyone know if this is true?

( Mind you, I don't think that it will stop anyone from starting a pit ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

.... is that true?
    True or not, it will never ever stop anyone from starting a pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

*Puts on old man's hat*

Depends if the person on the end of it was a participant or not, I suppose. If someone not involved in the pit catches a fist in the face you've got to say they're entitled to retribution. The buggers who flail about with elbows up deserve everthing they've got coming to them tbh. A gig is for everyone to enjoy, not just the people who want to mosh and sometimes people lose the run of themselves and hurt people who aren't into moshing, who were just standing around watching the gig their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Doctor J wrote:
    The buggers who flail about with elbows up deserve everthing they've got coming to them tbh.
    :mad: god i hate those bastards, its always a few huge long-haired shirtless sweaty cvnts doing this. i find a few hard sly kicks to the spin sorts them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

This is true. Sure one little **** in a "Bullet for my Valentine" tshirt nearly dislocated my knee after he jumped in and kicked me in the side of the leg during "Slipknot's" gig in the RDS. Little ****er got what was coming to him though if you know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

killswitch wrote:
    Little ****er got what was coming to him though if you know what I mean ;)

an assault? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ferdi wrote:
    :mad: god i hate those bastards, its always a few huge long-haired shirtless sweaty cvnts doing this. i find a few hard sly kicks to the spin sorts them out.

Normally it sweaty, skinheads that do that - atleast back in my day it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes, it is illeagal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sometimes i like to mosh, but i never try and go into anyone who isnt joining in. I was kicked out of the pit at Foos in the Point for doing it. Fair nuf i suppose. But wouldnt do it at every gig! not really surprised its included as assault. make me think twice now. All depends on band though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

i can imagine whats goin to happen at metallica with a lineup like the one thats at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭trivium

its not assault,if someone gets injured its classed as accidental unless its proved there was recklessness involved which ultimately is too hard to prove at a gig:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Killswitch wrote:
    i can imagine whats goin to happen at metallica with a lineup like the one thats at that

Personally, i intend for no moshing by me. I more intend to be crushed up at the barrier for a long while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

What do people class as moshing these days anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Once my conduct in the pit got me thrown out, not just of the pit, but of the whole concert. Which sounds much cooler than it was, I wasn't really doing anything.
    Ahem. I much prefer head banging, singing along, throwing up the horns, et cetera to moshing. I don't mind being bumped around a bit, but after a few punchs in the head I get pretty tired of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

Cactus Col wrote:
    What do people class as moshing these days anyway?

For me, it's jumpin about,
    Crucifix wrote:
    head banging, singing along, throwing up the horns,
    all in high spirits. As soon the elbows go up or you put all your body weight into launchin some dude half way across the pit - and probably into the elbows of the forementioned - you not moshing. You're being a d*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Moshing isn't assault.
    Assault is assault.

Moshing is one thing, it's some great fun to get into a pit and get some serious bangin' about, all in good fun. But there is a seriously large difference between moshing, and some scumbag who'll go into a pit with the sole intention of causing bodily harm. Scum like that deserve everything they get, because it's an extremely cowardly act to go into a pit with elbows firing, the mentality that you can get a few punches and elbows into someone and they mightn't be able to see who did in such a frantic situation, well... it's just scum.

I once had my nose ring torn out at a gig, so I grabbed the shirtless wonder who did it, and gave him a headbutt for his troubles. Stupid bastard was carried out of there bleeding. Another time, someone managed to give me a kick right into the chest, and bowl me over. Never caught who did it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pits have gotten nastier over the last 5 years, I certainly do keep clear just for the sake of other peoples safety.

Though the satisfaction of seeing one of these types beign dragged out of the pit is very pleasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Thaedydal wrote:
    Pits have gotten nastier over the last 5 years, I certainly do keep clear just for the sake of other peoples safety.
    You are joking of course!!!

Pits are no longer what they used to be...Slayer...BodyCount...Sepultura...Carcass all of these pits were literally fights for survival...serious violence!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Fights for survival? Not as I recall. Back in the day (late 80's), if anyone went down everybody made room and made sure they got up alright. There was an awful lot of energy and friendly violence but there wasn't the sneaky sort of ****ehawkery I often see in pits today. They were not for the feint-hearted but if anybody got in trouble they were helped out.

Doctor J wrote:
    Fights for survival? Not as I recall. Back in the day (late 80's), if anyone went down everybody made room and made sure they got up alright. There was an awful lot of energy and friendly violence but there wasn't the sneaky sort of ****ehawkery I often see in pits today. They were not for the feint-hearted but if anybody got in trouble they were helped out.

aye totally agree - this tosh about pits being violent is quite laughable. However nowadays they are more violent then what we old people used to do. Sure you came out with the odd bruise and maybe a missing shoe, but it was all in good fun. These days I see kids barrelling into the pit, throwing punches and kicks left right and center.

It like at Ozzfest, these idiots were doing their extreme violence bit during System of a Down - then they tried it again with the old schoolers during Slayer - needless to say this was "frowned upon" - with several fools being dumped out of the pit at high speed.

The pit was always about good friendly (not serious)violent fun - I've seen some injuries at recent gigs that make even me wince

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i'm usually able to handle the pit but when you wear glasses there is an extra liability...not much fun watching a band play half-blind :p

Ph3n0m wrote:
    The pit was always about good friendly (not serious)violent fun - I've seen some injuries at recent gigs that make even me wince

It still can be in fairness...it's not right to generalise like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

nah, moshing is not assault
    only if the idiot has an intent to seriously hurt someone else.

basically if u enter a pit you do at your own risk, you know there is a chance that you "might" get hurt but not too badly.... but it doesnt give sly bas***ds an excuse for a free dig. i have seen a few sly scumbags being "punished" in pits for what they did and it serves them right :)

also it depends on what band you are seeing on what type of behaviour goes on in pits... i do agre that the general crowd at bands that have been around awhile or most death/black metal bands know how to handle themselves properly without digging the head of others

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If it is assault it is assault. That is not moshing to me. However, when I get the odd punch/ sent flying across the floor I would not call assault. I like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Another time, someone managed to give me a kick right into the chest, and bowl me over.
    Wtf? That's some high-kickin' kung-fu shit to be pullin' off in the middle of a pit. I think harm caused in a pit should really only be assualt insofar as the victim would consider it to be, i.e. most people who engage in moshing in the first place would most likely consider it an "occupational hazard", as it were and shrug it off, or else exact retribution, like you did.
    Bottom line, feint-hearted squealers should know not to enter pits in the first place. As well as that, the nasty variety of violent mosher should get what he gives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ph3n0m wrote:
    These days I see kids barrelling into the pit, throwing punches and kicks left right and center.

It like at Ozzfest, these idiots were doing their extreme violence bit during System of a Down

To be fair - I rarely see this, but it is more prevalent in Ireland than on the continent, and it's sadly the norm in America

I would be a big fan of bouncing people about, but I'm big enough that I don't need elbows. If someone falls down, I'll help pick them up, and I've always been picked up, but at the end of the day, moshing's violent, people are going to get hurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

To be honest the problem is theese scumbags getting the wrong idea bout pits in the first place i mean theres moshing, and then theres dudes throwing random puches and kicks at head height, There was this one retard at slipknot and he killed a perfecly good pit, he went into the middle of it and started flaling his arms around.when the pit died down a bit though a freind of mine gave him some kidney punch and told him to calm the **** down needless to say he didnt do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think more people are going to metal gigs simply to try and get the chance to get in a few sly digs in the pit.

For example at In Flames there recently I was wathcing a pit start up slightly behind me and I saw people dragged in who obviously wanted nothing to do with it, shortly afterwards I saw some fella out of the pit squaring up to a french lad I had been talking to earlier. I see no reason for this sort of crap.

On a seperate note, slayer in ozzfest was one of the best pits I have ever been in IMHO, it was great, I was only about 16 at the time mind you but being in there with all these big biker types was an experience in itself.

Looking back at it they knew how to mosh, no flailing arms, no elbows, and always stopped to drag someone back up. Thats how it should be.

c - 13 wrote:
    On a seperate note, slayer in ozzfest was one of the best pits I have ever been in IMHO, it was great, I was only about 16 at the time mind you but being in there with all these big biker types was an experience in itself.

exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Actually another incident worth of mention was at Hatebreed last year, there was a guy standing in the middle of the pit drinking from a glass pint glass and moshing, i mean WTF ?

Glass pint glass probably the stupidest phrase in the world

Advertisement