Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent 5.1 Surrond Sound System

• 02-05-2006 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

'Ow do all,
    I'm looking to get another surround sound system. So i'm looking for something in the sub €200 range.

Optical input to go with the DVD optical ouput and the ability to hook up the Sky Digital/ PS2 without any wire fiddling would be my only requirements.

Decent sound goes without saying I'm sure :)

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm afraid that decent and sub-200 don't really go together.

Go down to currys and have a listen, if you like it buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

€200 is a bit low tbh.
    You would get a complete dvd/speaker system for that price but most of them for under 200 would'nt have an optical/co-ax in for the likes of your ps2 etc.

For a flexable system you would be looking for one that has an amp and speakers.

I assume you have a dvd player, does it have coax out instead of optical?
    Because you will be using your optical up, with the ps2, and if you have sky+, there goes your optical aswell.

The best price for a decent system ive seen is on the web.
    if you can go €151 higher you can get this.
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/152479/art/yamaha/rx-v357-5-1-reciever-blac.html?itag=6758

I have the speaker system, not the amp, but id reccommend those speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

It's just a secondary system really to compensate for the sh!t sound on the TV. Hence sub 200 yo yo's.

The current Sony system I have, has like a scart lead that plugs into the back of the TV and the Sky (for example) scart lead plugs into that scart lead.

It doesn't have an optical/ coaxial input tho for the DVD player. So it's cables galore.

I'd be happy enough with a Scart lead and optical/ coaxial for the DVD player. The PS2 can run through the Sky box.

I dont think you can run video through a sky box.

Again I suppose a cheaper amp is the way to go, as your dvd can go into it, your RCA outputs from the digibox can go into the amp aswell and your optical from your ps2 can go into the amp.
    Thinking about that you probably have the dvd player where all your speaker wires come from it, do you?

Does your tv have 2 scart sockets?
    1 scart for sky and the other for the dvd/ps2 (if your ps2 has a scart or the composite)

Is the tv a sony or do you mean the dvd system is a sony, if so what model is the sony?

Sorry for all the questions, but im slightly confused by the scart arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sorry for hijacking.

Sparky, how good are those speakers?

The whole pack amp + speakers on pixmania looks tempting... €351 but it's pixmania... heard enuff of complaints...

mart

• Advertisement

mart_max wrote:
    Sorry for hijacking.

Sparky, how good are those speakers?

The whole pack amp + speakers on pixmania looks tempting... €351 but it's pixmania... heard enuff of complaints...

mart

Yeah I used pixmania quite alot, but the complants put me off slightly, but it did'nt stop me from buying a PJ off them last November. Things just got bad when I ordered a DJ kit for the laptop and got a Sony car stereo instead.

Still id chance it. They did say they had database errors and hence why orders got delayed etc.

The speakers are top quality, very clear sound and highly detailed, the best bit of the package is the sub. By god does it have deep bass. I turned it up one day and the windows rattled. :D
    That yamaha amp is pretty decent aswell. Im using a pioneer vsx514d to feed the whole lot,
    http://products.consumerguide.com/media/frontend/productImages/3/5/00000102235-PioneerVSXD514AVreceiver-large.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Funny enough I was looking at that set up from Pixmania also, going to get the peekton DVD/HDMI/Divx player also.....what connections do the speakers use to go into the amp? I also want to hook up the xbox360...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

this pioneer dcs 333 home cinema kit http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=26&ProductID=441
    is 305 euro delivered.it has optical input(email richer sounds to confirm) according to the picture.i have the dcs 222 model and i think its excellent.really powerful system.i got it for 220 euro off technikdirekt.de,but not in stock anymore.it has optical input like the dcs 333.i have sat reciever,xbox and xbox360 connected to optical input with one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-WAY-OPTICAL-SELECTOR-SWITCH-TOSlink-DVD-XBOX-PS2_W0QQitemZ9719705891QQcategoryZ96942QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    optical selector switches.

Easy Rider wrote:
    Funny enough I was looking at that set up from Pixmania also, going to get the peekton DVD/HDMI/Divx player also.....what connections do the speakers use to go into the amp? I also want to hook up the xbox360...

just normal 2 wire, the sub is just a single black RCA.

Advertisement