Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandsaw for woodturning!

Options
  • 02-05-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

HI,
    I've just started woodturning and I'm looking for a bandsaw. Nothing fancy as I'll only be using it on and off. Any ideas out there ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

KPG wrote:
    HI,
    I've just started woodturning and I'm looking for a bandsaw. Nothing fancy as I'll only be using it on and off. Any ideas out there ?:confused:
    I bought a Record BS 300 from Richard Gough's. See http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?p=BS300&a=i for the full specs. Does perfectly Ok for what I want, and I've cut 6" thick bowl blanks on it with no trouble. Comes with a stand and wheel set which is handy if you don't have much room like me, so you can roll it into a corner when not in use.

For a good cheap bandsaw, I've also heard good things about the machines from SIP. Try McQuillans in the basement ... plenty of bandsaws there to look at.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

it depends on what you will use it for.
    Will you need to cut on a tilted table or gut fine veneers etc ??

I have a beast -- its a butchers bandsaw.
    got it for 200 punt and can cut 18" thick timber like butter.
    It's stainless steel and has a slide front table on it - possibly for carcass' to be put on :eek:

It will not cut finely but it does the trick.
    When I slab a large piece of timber - I use a template to mark out 20" odd and then use the bandsaw to cut it to a perfect circle. It makes initial turning easier.

Ask your local butchers if he knows of any other closing or keep an eye on buy and sell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just in case you don't know

there is a wood forum under Hosted - Public - Woodcraft.

for all your woody questions.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 KPG

Thanks a million for that guys. It only for creating blanks as I'm finding turning really rough wood not only is hard work but it seems to heat up the wood and cause pretty dry wood to crack! :mad:

Thanks Again

Advertisement