Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some suggestions ...

Options
  • 02-05-2006 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has recently started back training in an effort to get fit, lose weight etc. mostly been doing running and although finding it enjoyable is looking for something to help keep him motivated.

I suggested aiming to run a 2 - 5 miler in July or August and using that as something to train for. However I'm not particularly familiar with any of the events in the Dublin area.

I see the post below is about such races during the summer, but was wondering are these highly competitive? Would someone who isn't going to be out to win them be welcome? (Be honest!)

Are there more easy going/fun run type events run on a regular basis during the summer and if so where can I find info. about them.

Can anyone reccommend such an event that might be good to try for?

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Regards

Amz

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nearly all those races will have plenty of slower runners who are only in it for the 'fun', if you could call it that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Amz,

I dont think your friend should be worried. Most of these races have a certain amount of class athletes but about 70% of the field is made up of guys and girls just running their own race. I ran the RTI 5 mile race last weekend and while the winners came hone in about 25 mins there were still plenty of people coming in at the hour mark. It was great to see that while the top guys were warming down after the race they were clapping and encouraging the runners who were still racing... I was there to see the very last person cross the line and they were given pretty much the same reception as the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The first competitively organised race you do is always going to be daunting. There's loads of people jogging about before the start generally looking fit and healthy and if it's your first time you'll generally be left thinking wtf am I doing here?

As said above though, there's people of every calibre at all races. There's people against who your friend could train for years and years and still not come near to, but also there's people you'd have to be on death's door to be as slow as. Once the race starts you're left to run at your own pace.

Pick any race that's convenient in terms of location, distance and date to allow for preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cheers guys will keep an eye on the fixtures and stuff over the coming months.

I had been training with this person, but my knees have given up on me, so I am trying to motivate and give something to work towards while I go to physio and hopefully get back into it myself.

Cheers again!

Advertisement