Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router problem (Could it be my ISP)

• 02-05-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Howdy folks. Need some help.

Bought a router recently (Linksys WRT54GS) and for some reason the Internet Port has stopped working. Im a clearwire customer and was wondering if this has anything to do with them 'blocking' ports.

Im a complete noob and not very technical, but Ive tried everything and basically its as if the Internet port is now toast

If I plug the ethernet wire into one of the ethernet ports in the router, I can
    access the Internet, but nothing thru the Internet port.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Maxi

Ps. Im only subscribed to clearwire because theres no other provider where I am apart from Eircom (Dublin City Centre) so moving service provider is not an option :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a Linksys WRT54G and I have it connected to ntl broadband. The ethernet cable from the modem goes to the internet port on the router and an ethernet cable from one of the router ports goes to my pc. This is the way it always worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭92cooper

joolsveer wrote:
    I have a Linksys WRT54G and I have it connected to ntl broadband. The ethernet cable from the modem goes to the internet port on the router and an ethernet cable from one of the router ports goes to my pc. This is the way it always worked.

Thanks Mate, thats what I had done and it worked fine for 2 days, then suddenly the internet port just died :( I tried everything and it just wont work when anythings plugged into the internet port.

Just thought somebody else using clearwire might be able to shed some light. Ive been onto their customer support and they have been useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Can you do a trace route when you have the cable plugged into the internet port and when u have it plugged into one of the switch ports. (start->run->cmd "tracert www.google.ie") Post the results back up here.

One thing I would try is to reset the router back to the factory settings. Then reconfigure for your connection and see what happens.

How do you assign ip addresses to your PCs? Using DHCP or static ip?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭92cooper

Cheers irlrobins, i'll try that later. Ive got a Mac (boo hiss :D ) hard wired into the router, so i'll try wiring the PC laptop in and try what you've suggested.

I use DHCP to assign the ip's (i think)

Will post up some results tomorrow. Thanks again :cool:

Advertisement