Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bagless Hoover

Options
  • 02-05-2006 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommened a bagless vacuum cleaner with hepa filtration. The misses is looking to upgrade. I have heard mixed rumours on Dyson quality.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tred wrote:
    Anyone recommened a bagless vacuum cleaner with hepa filtration. The misses is looking to upgrade. I have heard mixed rumours on Dyson quality.
    Any thoughts?
    We have a Dyson and the build quiality is poor. The motor and the vac are good but the handle and accessories have broken. Replacements are available though but at a cost.
    Missus said she wouldn't touch one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dyson scored very poorly for faults and breakdowns in a "Which?" survey last year.
    Miele were No.1 and Nilfisk came in at No. 2.

My folks got a Nilfisk as a wedding present and only got rid of after their 23rd anniversary. They don't make em like that anymore though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Sleipnir wrote:
    Dyson scored very poorly for faults and breakdowns in a "Which?" survey last year.
    Miele were No.1 and Nilfisk came in at No. 2.

My folks got a Nilfisk as a wedding present and only got rid of after their 23rd anniversary. They don't make em like that anymore though!

They dont. Problem is i dont want a hoover wher ei have to buy bags, i like the bagless option. But i want a reliable one as well, and dyson in fairness are not cheap. Argos seem to have a large selection. They had a decent Vax one wiht Hepa for 150 on offer. But then again id be worried its a pille of crap!! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I got the 'Morphy Richards allergy IQ bagless cylinder cleaner' 405/3132 from Argos a couple of months ago. Its in the book for €185, but it was reduced to around €155 at the time. Runs great and seems well put together, so i would recommend it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have always thought bagless vacs are a messier option, when you've got to clean out filters etc regularly.

With the bagged vac, just replace the bag, and change filter every few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I have the Dyson Animal and its the dogs, I've gone through a few hoovers over the years and nothing comes close to the Dyson imho..

I find the build and design to be extremely good and dont have any compaints:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Vireo

Last week my Dyson (DC05) just would not start, so I went to the website http://www.dyson-online.com/ to have a gander. Got the number for the Irish distributor and they said it would cost €75 just to have a look :eek:

So on to plan B. The website tells you how to take the hoover apart. So I did :D

Tested the live wire with a phase tester and it seemed the power was getting to the motor, so I presumed the cable was ok. However there was always the possibility that the neutral wire was cut (dunno how to check this) or else the motor was kaput.

Anyway, I had a hunch that the motor was ok so I bypassed the cable with my own makeshift one. Guess what - the motor started :) (and almost took off as it was out of the casing, it's a powerful motor!).

It turns out the neutral wire in the plug (it's one of those plugs you can't get into) was loose - so all I needed to do was replace the plug as a temporary solution before I get a new cable from Dyson.

So, if you are a bit handy with this kind of stuff, I'd recommend having a go. Notwithstanding the above I think the power of the suction on the Dyson is reason enough to go with them. There are really some crap hoovers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

We have a Dyson and the build quiality is poor. The motor and the vac are good but the handle and accessories have broken. Replacements are available though but at a cost.

I had the same problem, but i rang Dyson and they sent out replacement parts for free even though the cleaner was 3 years old, the design of the replacement handle was different, it had much better clips etc so Dyson seem to be addressing the original poor design quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have to agree with majority of comments about the Dyson, great suction but the accessories leave much to be desired, the handle bits are shocking bad, my handle has broke twice, once under guarantee and replaced, second time outside guarantee and now duck taped!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote:
    I have to agree with majority of comments about the Dyson, great suction but the accessories leave much to be desired, the handle bits are shocking bad, my handle has broke twice, once under guarantee and replaced, second time outside guarantee and now duck taped!!

I just bought a VAX astrata 2000 watt bagless with hepa filter. it was reduced to 130 in Argos Galway. If its not doing the business tonight, i might just bring it back tmw.

One question on the dysons, does it need the post motor filter replaced yearly???.. from what i can see, they are available to buy as a part on the web hence they must need replacing....you get the idea when u buy a dyson thats it...but maybe its not the case/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, the Dyson filters need to be replaced periodically, depending on how much you vacuum, and area, etc.

Of course, the same would apply for all vacs. They all need their filters changed from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I bought a Dyson about 10 months ago and since then have been doing up the house - pulled the carpet, new floors, tiles - a lot of heavy duty work for Dyson and seems to be working well so far - it looks funky and doesn't lose suction as it takes in debries - less than a year, bit early to comment, but I am happy with it so far!

positron wrote:
    I bought a Dyson about 10 months ago and since then have been doing up the house - pulled the carpet, new floors, tiles - a lot of heavy duty work for Dyson and seems to be working well so far - it looks funky and doesn't lose suction as it takes in debries - less than a year, bit early to comment, but I am happy with it so far!

Gave the VAX artrada a go last night. Impressed so far. There is a hoover head with a rotating brush inside, thats spins when the vacuum is on, it really cleaned a rug we had very well. Happy enough wiht it. Misses was happy wiht it as well. 2000 Watts. good power. Washable filter as well. Id recommened it on usage, but i suppose if i post back here in next few months and its busted youll know better :)
    thanks for all the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I also have a dyson DC-05
    Im pretty happy with it, the only fault is that I find it very hard to take off the dust box, it just seems very tight and there is no real good way to hold it as there is no handle to hold.

Of course the other problem is that the dust you spent so long picking up goes everywhere as you empty the box into the bin..ahwell.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ours is the DC05 Turbobrush...its the 2nd one. 1st one stopped working after 2 weeks...same problem I'd say as described above but it was replaced by Argos under warranty with no problems.

Again, the Dyson is good for suction, but poor on the handle strength...spares can be bought online but not cheap. Duck tape is cheaper.

Advertisement