Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grout not cleaned off properly..porcelain tiles

Options
  • 02-05-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I had someone finish my tiling as I just couldnt get round to it - too much other stuff going on.

I had grouted a section - tedious but no problems - came up nice and clean. The lads that finishe my tiling have made a right mess of it by not cleaning off the grout properly.

Now I am left with expensive stained tiles. I've gone over them with a scrubbing brush and flash a few times but it doesnt seem to make any difference. The tiles areporcelain - with a textured finish - which makes cleaning them even more challenging.

Is there something that I can apply to the tiles to lift this stuff off without damaging the tiles?

<EDIT> Just noticed this stuff -BAL Epoxy Grout Remover. Has anyone ever used it? Will it do the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I had my bathroom tiled with the help of a friend and we had to rush off without finishing cleaning up (just ran out of time over the weekend). As a result the white grout had hardened over the tiles. My tiles have the normal shiny finish, not textured - I spent weeks trying to clean them up then I bought a fine sanding attachment for my drill. Hard to explain, but it looks like a little water wheel with lots of 1" square sheets of sanding paper that rotate. I tested it on a scrap tile (MAKE SURE YOU DO TEST THIS OUT FIRST). It worked out OK. Long story short, I got the grout off without damaging the tiles in 45 minutes - I'd been scrubbing them every night for nearly 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Good idea Danny, I've the same problem with some ceramic kitchen tiles. It's not too bad but I'd like to get it cleaned up. I started with a scrub and some Jif but gave up.

I assume it will work with the sanding wheel because the creamic is harder than the grout. I'll give it a go. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tdtd

in woodies etc. there is a product called HG (different types) (in the cleaning products section) but they have a grout removal one that is very good, also do a thing for removing blackmarks from older grout which makes the tiles look like new again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Is there something that I can apply to the tiles to lift this stuff off without damaging the tiles?
    A steam cleaner with scrubbing-brush attachment will do it nicely.
    As my Mrs. discovered 5 years after I tiled the kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grout will come off with a paint scraper and a scotchbrite pad or if the surface is textured use a small wire brush.
    Don't use water or you will get streaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Yep, it was a sanding wheel. Again I emphasise test it first, I was happy with the result, it actually buffed up the tiles to give them a reflective shine too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Thanks for the responses. In the meantime, I picked up a bottle of HG Extra Grout Remover. Dropped by the house this evening and have applied it to a couple of tiles that are not conspicuous. I want to make sure that 1. it works and 2. it doesnt damage the tile.

Will call back tomorrow when its dried out to see results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Applied the HG Extra to all areas affected and its sorted the problem 100%:)

Advertisement