Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitre Saw

Options
  • 02-05-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Guys,

Am a complete novice and am looking for a mitre saw. One of the things it would be used for is mitreing 6" Skirting in my new house

Would this be ok to use do you think:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7105805.htm

or would it be a waste of money? Can anone recommend another one? Not too expensive. Tried the manual saw for skirtings in the last house - waaaaay too much effort

Many thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My mate got a chop saw from B+Q the blade caught and shattered and nearly put his eye out.
    Lesson: cheap tools are exactly that.
    I wouldn't use one they are too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

For six inch skirting you will need a radial arm saw, that one in Argos won't cut six inches.

I got a Performance Pro Radial Arm saw with Laser line from B&Q, Laser worked for only a week or two, they sent me a new laser, which again broke, but other than that it's a great saw.

(Wonder what one your mate got??? TG i changed the blade in mine so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Have you tried McQuillans, Caple St., Blanchardstown centre ... They have a fairly good selection from the dangerous stuff to the pro. stuff ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I used this saw for skirting and architrave in my house. It did the job well. The laser didn't last long but it seems from above that this is not uncommon.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106794.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Thanks lads, will check them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

From what I have been told the most dangerous part of the cheaper machines is the cheap blades...so get a real blade for them.

At least it wont shatter and have bits fly off at silly speeds when it hits a nail.

I am looking for a saw aswell, am actually afraid of buying the cheaper ones.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I bought the Radial Arm Pro from B&Q for €193 and have been using it loads and its been doing a great job. Laser stopped working soon after I got it but other than that no problems with it at all, though if memory serves me I did replace the rip cut blade it came with with a better cross cut blade. One of my better purchases without doubt and it has a 2 year warranty so I must get up off my ass and get them to give me a new laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

One of my better purchases without doubt and it has a 2 year warranty so I must get up off my ass and get them to give me a new laser.

I agree, great saw.

Be warned it took a long time to get a laser off them, but won't last either so don't bother :(

I did have another problem with it when I accidentally:rolleyes: released the spring in the guard, and must saw found the Tech. Support extremely helpful and efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I was thinking off getting one of these saws myself. From the posts I've read, is it worth saving a few quid and getting one without a laser seeing as the laser doesn't last anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I just got a DeWalt DW707 from www.Lawson-HIS.co.uk a couple of weeks ago - fantastic saw at a super price - it retails in McQuillans for 800 - including delivery i got it for about 380. And the service from the web site was great - delivered to my door in 4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

I got one of those cheap performance mitre saws from B and Q as well.... same experience whole thing disintegrated, metal embedded in the wall etc. Reckon it's worth while spending a few more quid on something decent, not to mention safer. I've bought several tools from this crowd and they're excellent, cheap postage to Ireland as well: www.tooled-up.com

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Folks,

Just wondering if there are any novices like me who took on the skirting, architrave challenge on a new build? I am trying to figure out which jobs I might be able to tackle my self and I guess this is one which I might attempt. How difficult is it to fit this, and what should I look out for?

Thank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Skirting is actually more difficult than it looks to do properly, granted it is quite easy to knock it up and get an alright result, but can become tricky with off square walls and uneven floors and poorly installed skirting is always noticeable. Certainly it is one job you could tackle and with the assistance of a mitre box or mitre saw will be much easier. I personally prefer painted woodwork as opposed to stained for the interior of houses and a painted skirting will allow you rectify any mistakes with the use of putty or painters caulk to fill gaps at the top of skirting or open mitres. inch and half or two inch oval bradheads are preferable for fixing the skirting or architrave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

tribesman wrote:
    I used this saw for skirting and architrave in my house. It did the job well. The laser didn't last long but it seems from above that this is not uncommon.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106794.htm

just got this one as well.... seems good.
    but it will only have to last me till my extension is done...anything after that is a bonus.

Advertisement