Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

• 02-05-2006 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im sure this question has been posted a thousand times before but if anyone knows any decent places for decking around the south side of dublin/blessington/baltinglass let me know as Im in the market for it at the moment.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can I just add to the please and sorry for jumpin your thread but would sort of prices per yard or ft is decking to buy?
    Also is there a preference for grooved or smooth boards.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Hi there,

Are you looking to source the materials to DIY your decking, or for someone to supply and fit it for you.?

Pip

Yop....
    And Grooved boards are by far the most requested. They eliminate the slippery when wet factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

yeah I want to get someone to do it for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Hi There,

I've just sent you a PM with my contact details.

Regards,

Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I used Classic Decks in Naas. They will travel..very professional and they use the smooth boards which look much better than the cheap grooved boards that DIY stores supply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So 2 opinions on the boards, one for and one against the grooves!!!

Apip, could you give me an idea of costing per sq yard that people charge?
    I will probably do it myself but I would interested to see how much I could save!
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get hardwood decking. About 30% more expensive but wil last years longer and also looks better.
    The Panelling Centre sell it . Can't remember the price .
    It's also reversible so you can have smooth or grooved - Smooth is extremely slippy when its wet though.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I'm told pressure treated softwood is around 55 of your Euro's per sq meter from Noyeks Newman.

My advice is to measure up your job, get a quote for supply and fitting and then call Noyeks for a quote for all the materials so you know how much you are being charged for the install. Bear in mind that your installer may be getting a discount on the price you were quoted so take a few % off again.

I got the pressure treated softwood and was assured that once installed properly and cared for it will last 15 years. I could have been lied to, but that's what I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 the chippie

i ve just done a deck for a customer at the weekend and charged her e950 supply and fit for a 18ftx11ft deck ,that was 150mmx45mm glendeck boards with 5x2 treated joists and deck srews , for ideck (hardwood) it would about e300 more. pm if you want my number. the chippie

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nimina

Hi,

I do decking - click on the following link to view my add and also some photos of recent work carried out.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/classifieds/viewad.asp?id=893&offered=O

Feel free to give me a call and I can arrange to call and give you a free, no obligation quote.

Cheers
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok my 50cents worth,

Classic Decking did my Deck however about a month ago, some of the LED's I installed didnt work. Took the boards up (the one's that were screwed down) and the cables had been chewed by a rodent.

Next day guess who was looking in through our patio window an big rat. Took me the whole day to block up all the spaces that a rodent can get in. Put a trap down and never seen him again.

My Advice

Make sure that all the gaps a plugged around the decking
    Screw down some of the board's for access

Garyh3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

garyh3 wrote:
    Put a trap down and never seen him again.
    Did you catch him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

garyh3 wrote:
    Make sure that all the gaps a plugged around the decking
    Screw down some of the board's for access
    Is better to block it off, or leave it open do you reckon? 2 reasons really, 1) that the rodents aren't so hidden away and don't feel secure to stay they (probably not an option for your fella who wants to watch telly) and 2) Would it restrict airflow to the underside of the deck?

In the process of doing up my plan and ordering, so haven't started yet, but my plan was to leave a gap to allow me to rake under it to clear food if it's a problem and also allow the 2 cats access just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Didnt catch him :mad:

We have three dogs and that didnt deter him....

The trap has been set under the decking for some time now. I have tried peanut butter, choc, and chesses and still no sign.

Lets hope he's gone

Garyh3

Advertisement