Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP! Any tips of getting insured on a 00/01 Golf GTI 1.8T (150bhp)

Options
  • 02-05-2006 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Would really appreciate your thoughts re this.

I'm currently browsing carzone.ie, etc. I am very keen on a 00 or 01 Golf GTI due to the high spec (nice interior, sunroof, etc) and speed of course.

There are actually quite a few of them posted, for what seem to reasonable prices BUT.. it seems to be only the 150BHP model (Turbo) which is common.

I can see that there is mention of a 125BHP model also sometimes but I've yet to see one posted (maybe it doesn't exist).

So the problem is I checked with a few insurance companies and they'll insure me for a 125BHP Golf GTI but not the 150BHP.

I tell a lie, I did get one to quote me, 123.ie, but there is a standard excess of €4000 (!!! :eek:) which is obviously less than desirable!

Has anyone any hints or tips on how I could get insured for this type of car? (companies you found useful?) ...OR should I just give up and go for a 1.4/1.6 comfortline?

I'm 27, with full clean license, 0 years no claims (my first time getting my own policy) and 1 years named driver experience.

Many thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Buy a smaller car and drive it for a year or two and build up your NCB, also avoid Penalty Points.

I am 28yo Male (married), have 1 year NCB & over 7 years named driver NCB. I got insured on a 150Bhp Alfa Romeo this year for approx €700.

Also, get married, it reduces your premium, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zoltar wrote:
    Hi all,

Would really appreciate your thoughts re this.

I'm currently browsing carzone.ie, etc. I am very keen on a 00 or 01 Golf GTI due to the high spec (nice interior, sunroof, etc) and speed of course.

There are actually quite a few of them posted, for what seem to reasonable prices BUT.. it seems to be only the 150BHP model (Turbo) which is common.

I can see that there is mention of a 125BHP model also sometimes but I've yet to see one posted (maybe it doesn't exist).

So the problem is I checked with a few insurance companies and they'll insure me for a 125BHP Golf GTI but not the 150BHP.

I tell a lie, I did get one to quote me, 123.ie, but there is a standard excess of €4000 (!!! :eek:) which is obviously less than desirable!

Has anyone any hints or tips on how I could get insured for this type of car? (companies you found useful?) ...OR should I just give up and go for a 1.4/1.6 comfortline?

I'm 27, with full clean license, 0 years no claims (my first time getting my own policy) and 1 years named driver experience.

Many thanks! :D

I'm not sure a 125bhp Golf GTi ever existed to be honest. I thought they were 150bhp and 180bhp. The 125bhp 1.8 litre is a non turbo unit that was available in the rest of the VW range.

If you are interested in standard kit and a bit of power why not try and look for a Golf GT TDi or TDi Highline? Most of them will have the same spec as a GTi. The Golf MkIV TDi was available in 90bhp, 110bhp, 130bhp and 150bhp afaik which are very quick indeed especially the 150bhp version.

You might have better luck with the insurance companies aswell as some don't distinguish between the different bhp of the diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zoltar

Thanks for the tips, some good info there, appreciate it!

Yep, I'm guessing the 125BHP doesn't exist based on experience to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    You might have better luck with the insurance companies aswell as some don't distinguish between the different bhp of the diesels.

Very true. In fact they often don't distinguish between petrol or diesel, but just dont like words like "GTi" or "VTEC"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

maidhc wrote:
    Very true. In fact they often don't distinguish between petrol or diesel, but just dont like words like "GTi" or "VTEC"!

Must find out which ones these are, Hibernian wanted to quote me €1500 more for a 90bhp TDI golf than on my 1.4, which isn't that much slower and just as dangerous a weapon in the wrong hands Its the only reason I have the 1.4 - Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Kermitt wrote:
    Must find out which ones these are, Hibernian wanted to quote me €1500 more for a 90bhp TDI golf than on my 1.4, which isn't that much slower and just as dangerous a weapon in the wrong hands Its the only reason I have the 1.4 - Madness!

I was being quoted more or less the same money for a Focus 1.8 TDCi 115bhp as a 1.4 Petrol! By Hibernian also (23/M/Full NCB/Full Licence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Never heard of the 125bhp model only 150 and 180bhp.
    personally i'd choose the 130bhp six speed TDi. More economical and higher torque at low ranges.
    I think 1.8 your talking about is the non turbo. its a very rare engine in this country. the only car i'm aware they were normal in is the cabrio. the 1.8 non turbo wasn't sold in the standard golf in ireland. It was also available in the A4 and A6 but discontinued shortly after release (in ireland anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

maidhc wrote:
    I was being quoted more or less the same money for a Focus 1.8 TDCi 115bhp as a 1.4 Petrol! By Hibernian also (23/M/Full NCB/Full Licence).

this is where i'm confused by inconsistency, 22/m/full licence - At time of quote 3 yrs ncb (Gone now due to accident) but such a huge difference? When I asked the guy he just said "it's because its turbocharged"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There was a Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8 125bhp non-turbo, but only in the UK. When the 1.8 5v engine was dropped, the 2.0 115bhp engine became available, also in GTI trim. So, if you want one, you'll have to find an import.

Advertisement