Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Super Happy pre-E3 thread!!

Options
  • 02-05-2006 3:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, it's that time of year again, a week until E3 (well, just over a week, but the big press conferences will be this day week or yesterday week)... looking at gaming news websites every single story seems to be about something that is due to be revealed at E3 or it at least mentions something like "a demo will be available at E3".

So now that the whole gaming world's attention is fixed on the event, what are you looking forward to? There are a number of rumours about what's coming up, as well as a number of things that are confirmed for the show... me?

Definites I'm looking forward to:
    Everything Nintendo; they've got my attention this time. I'm looking forward to Wii/Rev news (specs, prices, launch dates, launch titles, demos, video footage, more software details) as well as DS info (lite EU launch info and price, new software, EU details for the Opera browser etc.)

Rumours I'm hoping are true/things I'd like to see:
    Halo 3 of course, and if it does happen I hope to God it's something new and worthwhile not just Halo 2.5 (wouldn't it be funny if they showed the same video from E3 2003 (or was it 2004?) and just promised the level would actually be in the upcoming game).
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some PDA software for the DS, perhaps a 360 price drop, info on bigger HDD's, their HD-DVD player etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't think they'll have any serious footage of Halo 3. I think it'll be the same teaser type of thing we've seen before with other games, deep voice-over and a pre-rendered shot of someone looking serious or Master Chief pointing a gun. Then the video will get onto the web, shaky handcam footage of said bit, with fanboys cheering like there's no tomorrow (even though they didn't show anything). I hope they do show something though, something substantial, just not holding out much hope.

I'm not looking forward to anything in particular, just want to see anything interesting they show really, hoping some game I've heard little or nothing about will come in and surprise me.

Also I'm hoping Nintendo changed their minds on Wii :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I want to hear all the Wii news and the new Alliance race from Blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looking forward to Wii and not much else ...although I'd also be interested in seeing what Sony have to show. They almost seem to be the underdogs this year.

Penny Arcade did a piece on Halo today. Made me lol :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The two games I'm looking forward to the most are of course Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Zelda: Twilight Princess. FFXII and GoW2 look very interesting. On the hardware front the Wii will be the most interesting. Hope we see some games. There'll also be some great DS games. I'm also looking forward to seeing some real PS3 games. As always Capcom and Konami will have some very tasty stuff out. I'm hoping there is more than Dead Rising on the Xbox 360 that looks interesting. Hope we see some of Mistwalkers games. Want to see some decent stuff on the PSP.

More 'Tales of' games would be nice Namco. Really getting into them especially Tales of Eternia'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

What's the schedule for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft's press conferences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I could not be less interested in E3. Well, maybe if you held a gun to my head and made me, I probably could be. Okay, so I'm mildly interested in what Nintendo have to say - current interpod crackpot theory is that the "Wii" is a bit of a red herring, with the "real" name to be announced at E3, stealing some of Sony's mind-share. And I'll be interested in finding out more about Sony's plan for handling the online aspects of PS3 (if you're reading this, Ken Katarugi, glorified Gamespy is not going to sell your console to me).

Other than this, it seems to be all sequels to established franchises. Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I want to see the industry evolve this year, last year in particular was such a slump. I have no real expectations, but I'd like to be surprised. Of course, I'll be interested in seeing what Nintendo and Sony have to offer with their latest offerings. Microsoft will have to prove alot to win me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

looking forward to everything wii and zelda related. metroid prime 3 hopefully. halo 3 would be nice. in game ps3 stuff. especially devil may cry 4.

new command and conquer. duke nukem ;) ... mario revolution hopefully being good unlike the sunshine crap.

lots more 360 games. new crimson skies. pro evo 6. .......... so much could happen but probably wont. ah well. once there is some new games that look cool ill be happy.

espacially ones by grasshoper studios and clover studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

More MGS4 footage, actual gameplay footage, it would be nice to see some actual gameplay footage on killzone2 also. Info on wii, it's price launch, and and video demo's would be sweet. Even a ****é 15second trailer of what bungie are up to will get my juices flowing, and resi evil 5 updates, oh and double agent demo on the 360, to be released on the market place would be uber sweet!! god, lots of stuff I wanna see. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

resi evil 5 updates
    that's pretty much all i'm looking forward to.
    some info on the Wii will be nice, but Resi5 is the only game that would make me consider paying full whack for a next gen console(they're almost current gen by now i suppose...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Wouldn't mind seeing the revised PS3 controller, and more Prey/Warhawk/Wii gameplay footage. And if it's not too much trouble Sony, maybe one or two annuoncements for the PSP, possibly involving a camera attachment, and good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Looking forward to God of War2, hopefully something more on Spore, and whatever nintendo throw at us on the Wii.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hoping to see actuall gameplay footage from PS3 and Wii, see if they come anywhere close to the hype. Not sure how they'll handle Wii footage, you'd almost need a picture in picture showing people using the controller.

Also, <insert obligatory Duke Nukem: Forever joke>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yeah i want to see vids of people playing ps3 and wii... with the new ps3 controller.

i also want release dates and prices. confirmed and final. no more bull****... i've a summer of working to be saving during...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah - I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to E3 this year.
    Be good if someone could list the GMT times of the major Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft briefings.:o
    The wii, metroid prime 3, ps3 controller, killzone playability and lots of other little bits and pieces will hopefully rock my socks.

Fingers crossed that getting access to live feeds won't be a nightmare this year either.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eurogamer.tv are supposed to be streaming their E3 coverage live this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Its the biggest E3 to happen in a long time methinks, im just hoping it lives up to the hype.
    For me its all about the Wii, very curious as of what Nintendo have in store for us.
    I'm sure Konami will have another great MGS 4 film to whet my appitite for a PS3 too (even if i won't be able to afford one)
    Plus all the Resi, Zelda, Metroid, FFXII, Pro Evo stuff'll hopefully be great too and yes naturally im sure live feeds are going to be a kick in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

For me it's the World of Warcraft announcements relating to the new expansion. Wii and Spore coming in close behind though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just to add; I have no interest in what Sony have to say (maybe about their online stuff, but I'm not bothered in general) and Nintendo hold the biggest attraction for me; by the looks of things this could be nintendo's year, and if rumour is to be believed then MS will have Halo 3 to show off... the thing is Sony managed to school MS last year despite the fact that it should have been the year of the 360; Sony had nothing to show and they took the others to town by making nothing look like the must have item of the year, now they actually have something to offer in the coming months, I'm not going to write them off completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you cant write them off in anyway. whether we like it or we dont the ps3 will sell the most. nothing can stop it. marketing is a companies best friend/

• Advertisement

Aye, but they'll probably be spending the most (on marketing) in order to sell the most.

Nintendo are still the most profitable games company in it (afaik), and using an essentilly suped-up GameCube for their hardware will no doubt save them mega-bucks. And their 'revolutionary' Wii-stick should save them cash in the marketing department as the gaming press fall over themselves to write about it.

The way I'm reading it is that Sony and MS will want to be reminding you constently about how much 'better' one console is over the other.. and they'll have to look sh!t cool while they do so. All Ninty have to do is show up and say "ah.. but look what we've got". If what they've got actually works they'll be laughing their way to the frontpages. And if it doesn't, they'll probably still be hitting the frontpages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Goodshape wrote:
    The way I'm reading it is that Sony and MS will want to be reminding you constently about how much 'better' one console is over the other.. and they'll have to look sh!t cool while they do so. All Ninty have to do is show up and say "ah.. but look what we've got". If what they've got actually works they'll be laughing their way to the frontpages. And if it doesn't, they'll probably still be hitting the frontpages.

ya, i'd agree with this. but they will need to show some actual video footage, and video's of how the games play (on that strange joypad). MS will just be showing off some "new" games, most of which will probably be sequels (in halo's case, i dont mind this).

i have a feeling sony will show something pretty damn cool though. its not like them to so quite about the biggest games show in the world. i too would love to see some actual gameplay footage of their games.

but i still hope its ninty's year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well I'm curious about the Wii, but it'll take more than light gun games to impress me. Hopefully they come up with a good use for the controller. There's simply not enough known to make any predictions - I'll wait and see.

I expect Sony to steal the show however. This is the time for them to really showcase the PS3 and I expect we'll be seeing the first gameplay footage for many many titles. More details on MGS4 will obviously be welcome and I'd expect actual gameplay from nearly every game they mentioned at E3 last year as long as many more. An official Final Fantasy VII announcement would be nice too. I want to see gameplay featuring the kind of physics demos Sony have been pushing heavily. With the huge amount of developer support the Playstation brand gets, I expect there to be a lot of great titles, both original ones and existing franchises. And finally, I hope they come up with a good joypad design. And with the Eye Toy motion sensing that they showed off last year doing Revolution-style things before anyone knew anything about the Revolution, they might be able to pull off some very interesting uses for this too. Imagine multiplatform games coming out on Wii using the wand and PS3 using the eyetoy.

Which leaves the 360. As a 360 owner who absolutely hates Halo I hope they have something other than Halo 3 up their sleeves. Of the future titles I've read about, Mass Effect and Test Drive are the ones that sound most interesting. I'm a big Bioware fan so I expect big things from Mass Effect. Their games were the single most compelling reason to own an Xbox in my book so I hope they keep it up with the 360. The fact that Microsoft intend to use the marketplace to distribute footage and demos to gamers is a brilliant idea though - a bunch of good demos available to play right here right now would be worth far more than all the promises Nintendo and Sony could make.

As for the PC, I'll be most interested in reading details on the WoW expansion to find out if its worth renewing my subscription. The problem with PCs at this time though is that the PS3 and 360 will be able to run games of very similar quality to a PC that costs 5 times the price, not to mention they're far less hassle and more comfortable to use. I don't think I'll be able to justify an upgrade for at least a few years for that reason. I will be keeping an eye on on Spore though, that outshone everything at E3 last year and I wouldn't be surprised if it did it again.

Sony are keeping strangly quiet... I'm half expecting them to sucker-punch Nintendo with a "ha! we've got it too"-style Eye Toy interface. And maybe there's a reason we haven't seen their controler yet.

Which will be feckin horrible tbh, as I'm a bit of a Ninty fanboi :)

Spore does look really, really cool. Forgot about that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony blatantly robbed from Nintendo and showed a wand of their own. Except it would be the dualwand. I just hope there is a decent d-pad this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sony blatantly robbed from Nintendo and showed a wand of their own. Except it would be the dualwand. I just hope there is a decent d-pad this time around.

actually sony patented something similar years ago for ps2 (as a suppliment, rather then the main controller) and didn't run with it because they had no good game's for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

And Sony's eyetoy presentation at E3 last year, which I think made use of special gloves or something, seemed to cover everything the revolution controller does before nintendo ever announced it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

New Scientist mag had an article about a possible 3D eyetoy which could read 3D movements from your whole body into a game, the article is subscriber only but you can read about it here http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=20355 . From what I can make out it's something they're looking at for a future iteration of the eyetoy, not the upcoming one.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Ah no, i hate E3. Well be seeing games and consoles we have no chance of playing for at least a year. I remeber seeing a teaser for MGS 3 a couple of years ago. It was almost 2 years later i finally sat down to play the game! It is absolute torture for an impatient soul like myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

steviec wrote:
    And Sony's eyetoy presentation at E3 last year, which I think made use of special gloves or something, seemed to cover everything the revolution controller does before nintendo ever announced it...

I thought last years eyetoy presentation was just the camera, although with far better movement recognition... could be wrong

Advertisement