Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A8N Sli DELUX

Options
  • 02-05-2006 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

anyone using the latest beta bios? curious..........

also, the chipset cooler is a bit noisey and prone to whine ! anyone have this problem ? also getting a few chipset fan failure errors on load in the past few days, but a flick of a pen gets it motoring again lol!! :p

anyone have this problem ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its dieing, it happens to all small crappy fans after a while....

Replace it before it dies while you are away from your PC:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

happens a lot on Abit boards.. fan goes after awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah and another thing about the asus a8n series, is they have crap onboard NICs, I've been getting loads of corruption in large download files. I have the Asus A8N-SLI. Don't use nvidia firewall or NAM, and if you can, don't install the SW IDE driver. There is some inherent flaw in them that nvidia don't seem to want to admit to. But they are saying it will be fixed in nf5.

Oh and i also get the buzzing sound on the chipset, if you turn off qfan in the bios it shouldn't break it. The noise happens when it get hot and qfan ramps up its rpm to 10,000, breaking it.

if it is already sounding bad replace as was said before, you dont want it dying when you arent there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've actually considered replacing it but i can't find a fan/heatsink small enough as my 6800 is so huge it actually comes out just over the top of the present fan as is, which is really shallow. There doesn't seem to be many fans for the chipset out there which lie as flat as the stock one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I just plugged out and unscrewed the fan from the heatsink, so it was more or less a passive cooler. The case had pleanty of airflow so it was fine, never went above 40'C. :)

CC

CombatCow wrote:
    I just plugged out and unscrewed the fan from the heatsink, so it was more or less a passive cooler. The case had pleanty of airflow so it was fine, never went above 40'C. :)

CC

funnily enough a mate of mine did the same on his ic7 abit mobo and it ran fine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Heh, same here..well in a more roundabout way really. The fan had been whining for ages and then one night I went out and when I came back I found the whining had stopped, yay! Anyway, I left it on overnight and the next morning I open up the case to have a wee look. Turns out the fan died overnight however my temps never went above 40c so I just left it there. Its been that way for the last few months so I assume, as CombatCow said, its just acting as a passive cooler at this stage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

CombatCow wrote:

CC

I did the same on my dfi-nf4 sli-dr and with a crossflow fan on my stacker I havnt any problems.

If you want a chipset cooler, the Evercool VC-Re is great it fits DFI board without any modifications and is low enough to fit under a GFX card and its copper;)

evercool-vcre167s.jpg

vgaled2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

conzymaher wrote:
    If you want a chipset cooler, the Evercool VC-Re is great it fits DFI board without any modifications and is low enough to fit under a GFX card and its copper;)

a hive of info mate, thats what you are!! lol !! where can I get one ? cant find any on my usual sites :-( and will it fit on a chipset?

He he:o

It was originally intended as a cooler for the MX400 series of cards:p

But it fits the DFI boards perfectly, and should fit an NF4 ASUS perfectly too if they use the same mounting mechanism..

You might have to resort to Ebay to get it.......

here Is one with LEDs wooooooooooo:D

Yes but it depends....

Does your GFX card cover the Chipset?

If not its a great cooler once you have good airflow

I have that zalman passive heatsink on mine atm, but it dosent fit with the stock cooler on the 7800GTX, though it does for me because i have a waterblock on my card so it's effectively a single slot cooler.

CC

If the PCB is long, and the cooler isnt in the way, some people break the middle pins out of that Zalman cooler and let the card pass through it if you know what i mean..

conzymaher wrote:
    Yes but it depends....

Does your GFX card cover the Chipset?

If not its a great cooler once you have good airflow

no its does not so I might give it a try ! there is enough space I think !

CombatCow wrote:
    I have that zalman passive heatsink on mine atm, but it dosent fit with the stock cooler on the 7800GTX, though it does for me because i have a waterblock on my card so it's effectively a single slot cooler.

CC

what card you got mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

CombatCow wrote:

CC
    :rolleyes:

opsss meant board

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

jaysus that's the first time i've ever seen a stacker look so...small and even cramped/full. :) nice rig tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 JakTheHat

Simplest thing is to remove the fan from the heatsink. If you look closely there are 3 small screws in between the blades of the fan. This way you dont have to take the motherboard out to replace the heatsink which is fixed with 2 pushpins. Just monitor your temperatures for a while and I think you will find that they dont rise significantly. I watercooled mine and I find that the chipset temperatures are now a lot higher than they used to be cos of being in the same loop as my cpu and graphix cards. When the fan was whining and even when it was stopped altogether the temps never went much over 40 degrees. This is the simplest solution and it costs nothing to try it first. Hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just ran into this problem last night by my own Asus board. Chipset fan suddenly just gave up on me.

Going to get a Chipset fan replacement this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

@Drapper: Clear your PM's

WizZard wrote:
    @Drapper: Clear your PM's

done buddy ! :-)

Advertisement