Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Brokerage/Financial adviser

Options
  • 02-05-2006 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anybody know of a good firm that gives you advice on what shares to buy and when to sell etc and does the transactions for you.

Used to work with a lad who had some firm invest his money in different shares for him and would sell them when the time was right, he was making a fair few pound out of it. I thought it was a bit of a gamble myself but who did i bump into the other day, my old work buddy who no longer works, living off the rent of his FOUR:eek: houses/apprts in Dublin. All at the tender age of 33. I am officially jealous.

Anybody any ideas on one of these firms. I would be looking at ivesting about a grand a month, be it in long or short term options.

As always any info appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hi

If you are serious about investing, buy this book and read it before you do anything. It's a real eye opener and gives you an idea of what you can expect and how to get there.

Short summary. Diversify your portfolio, get an index tracker, have at least 30% of your portfolio in bonds and keep away from managed funds and fund managers. ("they service you like Bonnie and Clyde service banks)

And if you want to invest in stocks you are investing for the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Hey Diarmuid,

Thanks for the advice, i actually bought "The Intelligent Investor" - Graham.

See what you said is all well and good but i am in Software Development, i don't know much about investment(maybe after i finish the book!) thats why i am looking for one of these guys to point me in the right direction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

me either but this book helped me a lot. I have the Intelligent Investor too. Haven't read it yet. It looks a lot more hard work than the one I linked to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Some good beginners advice here

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/guide/index.htm

Doesn't go into how to choose stocks etc, but makes some good points about clearing expensive debts first, getting on top of your mortgage etc. before going into the markets big-time.

I'd recommend ticking off some of these first before trying to invest too much. Don't forget that your friend caught the property market on a big upswing, plus he was able to leverage debt to get into it (i.e take out a mortgage). You can't really do this with stocks.

Advertisement