Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40" LCD or Plasma

• 02-05-2006 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I am looking for a 40" LCD or Plasma. I think I'll go for the Samsung one. It's around 2K. Anybody got this one? Any other recomendations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

I am looking for a 40" LCD or Plasma. I think I'll go for the Samsung one. It's around 2K. Anybody got this one? Any other recomendations ?

Yeah thinking of doing the same. I compared the PX Panny with a top end LCD on all sources, the LCD won out. Just remember if you're going with the Samsung, the R7 series is the latest and it has a price drop on it from its predecessors. Im also hearing that there is a new model M7 out in June, this will have two HDMI inputs and maybe 1080P. You can see it on the American site. Both have the latest in LCD tech, i.e. SPVA screen. But yeah, id go with the Samsung as well, seems like the best bang for your buck, while the R4 had medicre reviews, the R5 had good reviews, so Im sure the R7 is better again. The number after the R7, i.e. R71 R72 etc. this is only to do with colour of the frame and not a technical spec difference. BTW the M7 due out in June is also suppose to have 6000:1 contrast, 1080P and new anti-trailing/smudging technology. So they say. :D €1919 on Komplett for the 40" R7

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Where can you see it for 1919 ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would you consider the Sony 50" LCD RPG, a lot of screen for your bucks.
    I got this guy with the stand and a sony dvd upscaler/divx for under €2k..
    very happy with initial results and awaiting May 22nd to see what SkyHD will bring to the arena

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDF-E50A12U&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

slave1 wrote:
    would you consider the Sony 50" LCD RPG, a lot of screen for your bucks.
    I got this guy with the stand and a sony dvd upscaler/divx for under €2k..
    very happy with initial results and awaiting May 22nd to see what SkyHD will bring to the arena

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDF-E50A12U&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV

Too big for me, but how did you get that so cheap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Hi,
    I am in a good position to give my opinion, as did a lot of research before buying them.

I bought the 42" Samsung Plasma and the 37" LCD. The Plasma was good and i kept it for a year and then changed to the latest 37" Samsung LCD. This LCD (in my opinion) is far better than the Plasma. I was always concerned with burn in and the life of the Plasma.

The LCD is about half the weight and power usage than the plasma. The LCD is very good for using with the PC, it is very clear.

There is a good link comparing the two technology's, see below.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Also see the thread - In the word Doc. this is a section on the different TV technology's.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054926672

YoYOPowder wrote:
    Yeah thinking of doing the same. I compared the PX Panny with a top end LCD on all sources, the LCD won out. Just remember if you're going with the Samsung, the R7 series is the latest and it has a price drop on it from its predecessors. Im also hearing that there is a new model M7 out in June, this will have two HDMI inputs and maybe 1080P. You can see it on the American site. Both have the latest in LCD tech, i.e. SPVA screen. But yeah, id go with the Samsung as well, seems like the best bang for your buck, while the R4 had medicre reviews, the R5 had good reviews, so Im sure the R7 is better again. The number after the R7, i.e. R71 R72 etc. this is only to do with colour of the frame and not a technical spec difference. BTW the M7 due out in June is also suppose to have 6000:1 contrast, 1080P and new anti-trailing/smudging technology. So they say. :D €1919 on Komplett for the 40" R7

Ye, I got the R74 37". See Pic. Its been very good so far.

TommyGun wrote:
    Ye, I got the R74 37". See Pic. Its been very good so far.
    Excellent someone that can review. Watch any football on it yet? If so, any trailing or ghosting. Black/Grey levels any good?

To the question earlier about where did I see the price. It was on Komplett.ie for 1919, I see now as the stock is low its been increased to 1999. Komplett seem to change their prices every day, so I suspect it will go down again. It looks like the new M7 is being chopped over here, i.e. lower spec, In the States its got 1080P with two HDMI, doesn't look that way here though, although still awaiting somewhere to get exact specs. :D

Too big for me, but how did you get that so cheap ?

Simply on sale for 1749 in the sony centre, Athlone, including a bog standard dvd player, I changed the dvd for a divx/upscaler for an extra 200

YoYOPowder wrote:
    Excellent someone that can review. Watch any football on it yet? If so, any trailing or ghosting. Black/Grey levels any good?

. :D

I got the package, is was very compact, no cables in the box. My Dell 26" is as heavy as this 37". The stand is very light. Set up is very easy because it is so light. I nice touch is the cloth you get with the TV to clean it.

When i got it set up I noticed the swivel had very little Resistance, I would have preferred it a bit stiffer. The manual is crap. The TV has some cool functions. The remote control can be used for all ap's in the room.

The model i got is the R74 and has iDTV.

The contrast is 5000:1 and response time is 8ms.
    (DVD player connected with component cable)
    I have watched the battle scenes in LOTR and battle scenes in Band of brothers (very dark, fast moving shots), i found the the dark seneces very good, alot better than the Dell 26" and Samsung 42" Plasma. With the response time of 8ms you would not expect any drag, and i did not see any. I have not seen this on the Dell either (25ms response).

So far a good buy, I'll watch the footy tonight, and send on the info.

• Advertisement

TommyGun wrote:
    I got the package, is was very compact, no cables in the box. My Dell 26" is as heavy as this 37". The stand is very light. Set up is very easy because it is so light. I nice touch is the cloth you get with the TV to clean it.

When i got it set up I noticed the swivel had very little Resistance, I would have preferred it a bit stiffer. The manual is crap. The TV has some cool functions. The remote control can be used for all ap's in the room.

The model i got is the R74 and has iDTV.

The contrast is 5000:1 and response time is 8ms.
    (DVD player connected with component cable)
    I have watched the battle scenes in LOTR and battle scenes in Band of brothers (very dark, fast moving shots), i found the the dark seneces very good, alot better than the Dell 26" and Samsung 42" Plasma. With the response time of 8ms you would not expect any drag, and i did not see any. I have not seen this on the Dell either (25ms response).

So far a good buy, I'll watch the footy tonight, and send on the info.

How did you get on with the football Tommy? Still living up to all expectations?

YoYOPowder wrote:
    How did you get on with the football Tommy? Still living up to all expectations?

Ye, it was perfect. No drag or delay.

TommyGun wrote:
    Ye, it was perfect. No drag or delay.

Excellent cheers..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Hi Tommy,

Can I ask where you got it and what Price. I'm looking for a 37" LCD. The Phillips 5321 was on the top of my list and the Samsung 4th.

Thanks

Hi Tommy,

Can I ask where you got it and what Price. I'm looking for a 37" LCD. The Phillips 5321 was on the top of my list and the Samsung 4th.

Thanks

I got a special deal, i actually don't know how much they are. It is a bit harder to get a 37" in Ireland. I would not go with Philips, I personally dont like them, i would think that even LG would be better.

Oh but the 40" version is E1999 on Komplett.ie.

Just found the 37" on the site. e1899, link below.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

What are Komplett like in terms of after sales services etc. Just have my doubts about spending that type of money online. I like the idea of being able to walk back into a shop if things go wrong. I see Power City have one but only the 40" but I think its an earlier model. DID do them to but can't remember what size.

What are your thoughs on the Toshiba 37 WL5 which Powercity do? Other is the Panasonic TH37PV60 which is a little more pricey at € 2299

Regards

What are Komplett like in terms of after sales services etc. Just have my doubts about spending that type of money online. I like the idea of being able to walk back into a shop if things go wrong. I see Power City have one but only the 40" but I think its an earlier model. DID do them to but can't remember what size.

What are your thoughs on the Toshiba 37 WL5 which Powercity do? Other is the Panasonic TH37PV60 which is a little more pricey at € 2299

Regards

Yeah I hear you with regard the warranty. It's a factor for me too, but too much of a price discrepancy not to go with them. That 40" on Komplett just went up yesterday as stock is low. I suspect it will be back down to €1919 again. The Powercity 40" is the R4 (according to the website), 3 generations behind. They, just like DID, I find have a lot of product that's very old outdated stock. Dont know much about the Tosh.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

hi

i got my Samsung 40" LCD-TV LE40R72B, 16:9, 1366 x 768, PIP, HDMI, HD-ready for e1919 (1932 after shipping) Tbh I was expecting alot better picture and audio. I know the audio generally on lcd aren't fantastic and you're better off hooking up to a surround sound system. I'm connected to my sky+ box and dvdplayer using scart cable. Some stations were good but dependind on the programs like Stargate SG1 (older episodes) are just cronic, all pixalated.

Question, can I hook it up to my sky+ box using a HDMI cable? I know the sky+ box doesn't have HDMI connection cut can you use an adapter? Also the dvdplayer. I thought I'd be getting like 4 times the resolution with the dvdplayer but again this is probably with HDMI cable aswell.

Overall though, I am pleased with the telly, it's beautiful looking in black.

thanks

I thought I'd be getting like 4 times the resolution with the dvdplayer but again this is probably with HDMI cable aswell.

your dvd player should go up to 576P (progressive) IF your dvd player has progressive capabilities and IF you use the component out and IF you have component in on your tv
    this is about twice the picture compared to interlaced

IF your dvd player has HDMI and up conversion capabilities then your output will increase to 720P but only via HDMI

• Advertisement

See enclosed document, at the end there is a section on connections.

You should always use the highest quality connection that is available. Does your DVD player have component connections? If so connect up using this cable and change you DVD player setting to Progressive Scan, this will improve your picture alot.

With your sky box, what is the best connection? Probably S-video, connect using this and see how is improved. Only the next gen of Sky will have the HD connectors.

The following is the list of connections from worst to best
    - RF BNC and F Connector (Crappy ald coxax cable)
    - Composite - Yellow cable
    - S-Video - Looks like a mouse connection
    - Component (the analog best connection can use progressive)
    - DVI and HDMI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

slave1 wrote:

IF your dvd player has HDMI and up conversion capabilities then your output will increase to 720P but only via HDMI

that depends on the dvd player, i have 1080i out over component...

- DVI and HDMI

I'd stick RGB Scart between S-video and Component

that depends on the dvd player, i have 1080i out over component...

fair point, my upscaler will only do 720P or 1080i via DHMI
    Funny thing is, it forces the tv to view the picture in letterbox format, so I can't use the typical TV "smart" or "zoom" functions

I wonder is there a HDMI to Component lead that will take the 720p/1080i from the HDMI out on my dvd upscaler and output to the tv 720p/1080i via the component in on the tv???

slave1 wrote:
    fair point, my upscaler will only do 720P or 1080i via DHMI
    Funny thing is, it forces the tv to view the picture in letterbox format, so I can't use the typical TV "smart" or "zoom" functions

I wonder is there a HDMI to Component lead that will take the 720p/1080i from the HDMI out on my dvd upscaler and output to the tv 720p/1080i via the component in on the tv???

my tv disables most of the zoom modes when it is fed a >480p signal. Nearly all 720p/1080i programming was designed to be widescreen anyway, either full 16:9 or 2.35:1 or some variation there of...shouldn't be a need for most of the zoom functions

you can get dvi to component cables, but for those to work your dvd player has to support analog dvi...nearly all i think are digital only, the cables were meant for pc i think. I have one at home, bought to try the same thing you suggested?

what dvd player have you got? Mine only supported up to 480p over component, until i gave it a new firmware...

TommyGun wrote:
    See enclosed document, at the end there is a section on connections.

You should always use the highest quality connection that is available. Does your DVD player have component connections? If so connect up using this cable and change you DVD player setting to Progressive Scan, this will improve your picture alot.

With your sky box, what is the best connection? Probably S-video, connect using this and see how is improved. Only the next gen of Sky will have the HD connectors.

The following is the list of connections from worst to best
    - DVI and HDMI

thanks tommygun

mossym wrote:
    what dvd player have you got? Mine only supported up to 480p over component, until i gave it a new firmware...

At the moment I have this targa one http://www.targa.co.uk/cms/targa_2_646.php?produkt_id=340

how do you find out the resolution of a dvdplayer?
    Theres not many dvdplayers on the market with HDMI is there? Found one on Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316434 for E1025 and it's doesn't even play Divx!

most have dvi, hdmi is becoming way more common. there is already a lot with it out there..

as for the doesn't even play divx comment..if you're worried about upconversion, surely it is to get the best quality picture...why then would you feed it video that has been compressed even more? maybe tv shows, but if you're doing it dvd's, then i say go with one or the other...

mossym wrote:
    most have dvi, hdmi is becoming way more common. there is already a lot with it out there..

as for the doesn't even play divx comment..if you're worried about upconversion, surely it is to get the best quality picture...why then would you feed it video that has been compressed even more? maybe tv shows, but if you're doing it dvd's, then i say go with one or the other...

Yeah you're right. I would rather go to hdmi as I purchased the tv I want the best from it. I can transcode my tvshows on to dvd anyway. thanks

Theres not many dvdplayers on the market with HDMI is there?

sony dvp- ns92v
    300 notes
    upscaler 720p or 1080i
    divx playback
    component and hdmi out

watched some "losts" last night, 350mg files upscaled, amazing quality

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote:
    sony dvp- ns92v
    300 notes
    upscaler 720p or 1080i
    divx playback
    component and hdmi out

watched some "losts" last night, 350mg files upscaled, amazing quality

Thanks slave1 that sounds great. Any home cinema systems like that. e1025 for the panasonic in Komplett is crazy! cheers

Advertisement